Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - hjcoukrocks
We've been looking at getting a Golf Plus for a little while (outgrown the Polo, standard Golf will let us down boot-space wise when we go on longer journeys with the myriad of things our 16 month old requires). We decided to stray a little further from our normal patch to try a different dealership (looking to play the various dealers against each other as they were all different franchise owners).

Anyway, short story, have been offered around £3,000 off list price for a brand new 1.9 TDI. Apparently it's a "pack" car which is one they buy of VW directly and sell themselves instead of selling on behalf of VW and picking up a commission - thus allowing them slightly more profit. Is this a good deal? Is this just because of the credit crunch (I've certainly seen fewer people in car showrooms of late)? I know they'll still be making a profit as managed to wrangle that the price quoted is still more than they paid VW for it.
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - motorprop
to get qualified responses you should state what deal have been offered , exact spec, price , colour , warantee etc ..
thanks for the quick reply.

Standard spec Luna 1.9 TDI 105ps 5spd black (apparently metallic, but looking at vw site they don't seem to offer, so either from last year or it's the standard). Standard VW warranty (but will check)

exactly £3,000 off list price (OTR)
forgot to add: have put down deposit on it, so sincerely hope it's not too good to be true.
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - DavidHM
Not really too good to be true if it's from a VW franchise - may well be the last model year, which probably means it's been sat around for a while, but I'm not sure when the Luna was introduced (rather than S) as entry level spec.

Price is a few hundred cheaper than the best brokers so it's a very good deal - but the Golf Plus doesn't seem to be selling all that well, being neither fish nor fowl - not obviously an MPV like a C-Max or Scenic but not as desirable as a Golf either, regardless of how practical it actually is.

Seems fine for what it is and the resale value will still be better than the Scenic's although it's still more expensive to buy than a C-Max.
Thanks for the advice, that's something we'll really have to check out when we see it tomorrow.
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - Hamsafar
Various specs are used as a 'flag' for the trade so that when you trade it in they know you paid £3000 less for it so they take that into account. This can be as subtle as a colour or trim combination, to a special edition name.
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - scipi
Golf Plus 1.9 TDI is due to be replaced/face lift around Feb 09.
Current Golf Plus has a good engine and is economical but has plenty of rattles ect and sometimes dodgy build quality. Take it for a test drive on a main road for 30 minutes before comitting.

If it has xxxxxxxW08xxxxx in the build code (left hand side of front window) then it means built in Wolfsburg and model year is 2008 and is current. Then again better look for one with M08 as Wolfsburg are not renouwn for their buld quality, this I know from experience.
Thanks for all the reply's, it helped when asking questions!

We've now agreed to purchase it and take delivery monday. It is a wolfsburg constructed golf, but on inspection all doors fitted as they should and the test drive revealed no worrying rattles or clanks.

It's a completely standard spec Luna 1.9 TDI Golf Plus, all trim and options as described on the website so no worries there about a special spec. Not pre-registered so will be an 08 reg and has full 3 year VW warranty.

I would imagine they are either cars from a fleet order that didn't go through or overstock.

Can't complain, as 12,999 (plus registration fee) is cheaper than the base petrol model, so we're pleased.

If anyone else is looking for one of these deals (I know of one other dealership with one in currently), do a search for used cars and then look at the mileage, anything 25 miles or under is likely to be one of these "pack" cars.
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - MichaelR
The catch is you need to be releived of a 5 figure sum to drive around in a Golf Plus with one of the most argicultural engines on the market today.

I'd cry if I parted with £13,000 and received in return something with a 1.9 TDI engine.

Whats wrong with a used regular Golf 2.0 TDI?
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - nick1975
Nice one Michael R!

Nothing like peeing on someone else's bonfire!
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - jlo
Thats a bit harsh.

I agree its not the most refined engine but very ecomonic and pulls well.

My Golf GTI DSG gearbox is knackered and part is on back order thus I now am running around in a golf match with the 1.9tdi engine. Before that the dealer leant me the passat 1.9tdi which although was not the quickest car was very refined and well sound proofed.

To top that I have just bought my wife a Skoda Roomster 1.9tdi 105 so think there is still some life in that engine yet. Plus been getting over 50mpg.

When I had my nissan primera a few years back which was common rail I struggled to get that over 40mpg.

Sorry for the off topic post

Jlo
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - bbroomlea{P}
>>I'd cry if I parted with £13,000 and received in return something with a 1.9 TDI engine.

>>Whats wrong with a used regular Golf 2.0 TDI?

Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

The 2.0 140 PD has a dreaded particulate filter that saps power, its not as refined as the 1.9 and delivers around 10-15% less fuel economy.

The 1.9 in 130 form is probably one of the most reliable and frugal diesel engines available and still gives performance in bucket loads that other fuel systems and manufacturers cannot match.

Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - Jase
GolfPlus Luna TDi is not the PD130 version, it's either TDi90 or TDi105 version. This engine will give exceptional MPG, but will provide a much worse driving experience in every other way than the 2.0TDi.

I personally would have chosen a used 2.0TDi, so I agree with MichaelR on that, although I think the tone of his last couple of posts on this thread was unnecessary (again).

Good luck with your new car hjcoukrocks!
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - tintin01
Don't let this lot leech all the enjoyment out of your new purchase, hjcoukrocks! It sounds like a good deal and if the car fits your requirements them just enjoy it. I drive myself nuts sometimes trying to get the best possible deal/price/value on any given product from cars to washing-up liquid. Sometimes it's better just to get the thing you really want and enjoy it.
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - oldgit
A simple lesson to be learned here, I think.
I would never go on any forum and ask a "What/which one should I buy." Purchasing anything is something to be done from one's own research and if you rely on other people's opinions you'll never be able to make up your mind and will end up confused or insulted by other people's comments, not that I'd worry about that.

I'll leave it to you all now to check on my postings to see whether I'm contradicting myself or being hypocritical, again.
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - GJD
I drive myself nuts sometimes trying to get the best possible deal/price/value on any
given product from cars to washing-up liquid. Sometimes it's better just to get the thing
you really want and enjoy it.

Is it safe to ask what you do to get enjoyment out of washing up liquid? I can't deny it's utility but I've never looked further than that. Now I wonder if I'm missing something amazing... ;)
At the end of the day, we're married and boring...as long as it has enough oomph to do the odd bit of overtaking that's fine. Fuel economy is more important to us, and at current diesel prices it works out just slightly (17p) more expensive per 100km.
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - Avant
Good luck with it. You've got what you want and need at a very good price, and thus, to answer your original question, you aren't missing anything.

Personally I love the vigorous acceleration that my 2.0 TDI gives me (and for the record you can have a Golf in the 140 bhp version without the particulate filter, though not the 170), but the 1.9 is perfectly good enough, and probably a bit more economical if you don't try to wring the last ounce of performance out of it. Plenty of people on this forum, whose views I greatly respect, have chosen a 1.9 for those reasons.

Edited by Avant on 17/07/2008 at 22:21

Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - spikeyhead {p}
I'd rather have the 1.9 then the 2.0. Better long term reliability and fuel consumption.
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - Brian Tryzers
Nothing like peeing on someone else's bonfire!

Unless it's peeing on someone else's electric fire. Don't worry, HJC - if our Michael disapproves, you can be pretty sure you're doing something right. };---)

I remember being impressed a couple of years ago that a Golf Plus would take me and two other 6ft-plus adults in the back seat, with two more not-insubstantials in the front. We wouldn't have wanted to be there all day, granted, but it seemed like an achievement to get us in at all. Hope yours serves you well.
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - cleverzippy
We have the Golf Plus Tsi twincharged engine and it's a brilliant car. IMHO looks better that the golf in Shadow Blue. Although it is slightly quicker than the 2.0 diesel off the mark it doesn't have the same mid range grunt but is more flexible with no lag and revs to 7000prm - pulls from 1200rpm due to the supercharger. Economy is currently 40mpg round town and A roads with 48mpg on a 80mph motorway run.
Build quality seems superb with no rattles yet.
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - Mapmaker
We all love Michael's waspish comments! Brighten the place up.
Been offered a stonking deal...where's the catch? - ifithelps
Is that spoken as a fellow flying insect with black and yellow stripes, Mr Maker?