Car seats - not what they used to be... - NabLane
I've just completed a free 3-day test drive in a Vauxhall Vectra SRi 150 diesel, with a view to choosing a new one as my next company car, my current one being my own.

I have to say that it does look smart from the outside - a real improvement from the Vectra B that I previously had. Step inside, however ? or more to the point sit inside it for a while ? and it?s a different story. I always found my old Vectra?s seats to be among the best and having covered 80,000 miles in my old CDX, a 6-hour journey or more was never a problem. The drivers seat provided excellent support (driving position could have been better, but that?s another matter) at all times.

The seat that greeted me in the new Vectra felt like it was made from some cheap foam ? comfortable at first, but after spending 3 hours in it, my legs were getting cramp. I?m a average height, 11 stone (ish!) bloke and quite fit, so don?t suffer circulation problems! As you pressed the seat fabric, it gave way very easily and seemed to offer little support. The lumbar adjustment in the seat back (lever as opposed to the dial in my last one) was uncomfortable to the point of hurting in anything less than the back-most position. Also, there seemed to be little ?wicking? of moisture away from the skin and I felt legs, back and backside getting hot and it?s been a cool day (15° with air-con on).

Has anybody else noticed this? I drove a 2002 model as a courtesy car some years ago and recalled the seating to be on a par with my old model. I found the Mondeo to be similar. So far, the car that wins hands-down for driver-seat comfort is the Octavia Estate (my budget is £250+VAT 15k miles non-maintained) and I don?t need a VW badge.

I mentioned this to a colleague of mine and he said ?funny you should mention that?. He went on to explain that his friend works for a company supplying equipment to J-----n C-----s that make car seats (and other items for cars) in Europe. Apparently, most EU car makers have now sub-contracted their car seat manufacture to this company who makes them for the GM group (Fiat, Vauxhall/Opel) and Ford.

He also went on to say that VW are one of the few manufacturers who still make their own seats in-house and aren?t made with standard foam. I would assume Skoda do the same as I found their seats to be far superior to the Vectra?s.

I?m wondering if Vauxhall are doing some severe cost-cutting on the run-out Vectra?s and the seats have been caught up in this. So my next car won?t be a Vectra unfortunately. I really wanted to like the car, but couldn?t live with those seats.
Car seats - not what they used to be... - TheOilBurner
Sounds about right. Vauxhall have been cutting the spec of the Vectra-C since almost the day it went on sale. I drove an early 02 reg LS, and that had loads of features that were missing from my old 54 reg SRi. I drove a newer SRi and Design models recently (both 57 reg) and found even more features were missing, with the odd token one added.

I've also looked at 52-04 reg Vectra's of varying models, and some of the features that were standard then are not even on the options list any more.

And yes, the seats in the 02 reg LS were far superior in comfort, support and material quality than the later cars.

A real shame. For every 1 new feature they added to later models, they took 2 features away...
Car seats - not what they used to be... - sunbeamer
I drive quite a variety of cars in my line of work and I would have to agree with your comments on recent Vectra seats. Although comfortable at first, after about an hours drive I have experienced discomfort in my legs particularly. Recently drove 07 plate Astra Elite with full leather but seat cushion was uncomfortable. By comparison recent Fords seem very good.
Car seats - not what they used to be... - TheOilBurner
Yeah, our 06 reg Zafira Design with the full leather option and so called comfort seat packs has very cheap and thin feeling seats. Especially when compared to my Volvo S80.
Thanks for the replies chaps. I thought it might have been me getting pernickety with age (the comfort factor) and expecting too much equipment from a car, but it?s reassuring to know I?m not the only one who?s noticed both standards slipping.

You?re right OilBurner, it is a great shame to see Vauxhall cutting corners in this way as I?ve always been comfortable in them and would really have liked to own another. They were reasonably priced and with a fair equipment spec. With the current specification, they appear to be over priced and it gives me no pleasure to be forced to switch to another manufacturer.

Sunbeamer, which car had the best seats in your opinion?
Car seats - not what they used to be... - sunbeamer
NabLane
Volvo's certainly are very comfortable, HJ described the C-Max are being the most comfortable car on the road, although not most luxurious they are very good.
Car seats - not what they used to be... - boxsterboy
NabLane, I wouldn't chose a Vectra now unless you really have to - the replacement Insignia will soon be here, and it looks superb from the early photos - inside and out.
Car seats - not what they used to be... - Brian Tryzers
>Skoda do the same as I found their seats to be far superior to the Vectra?s.

Which Skoda was that, then? The seats in the Fabia 'Comfort' (!) we had from 2001 until a few weeks ago were awful - flat, hard and with all the accommodating contours of a concrete park bench. More than the gutless engine and the bizarre thirst for fuel, they were the main reason any journey longer than about 30 minutes got delegated to the Volvo.
Hi WillDeBeest,

Car was the Skoda Octavia 1.9 Elegance Estate. Seats seemed very supportive (longest I drove for was three hours though) and a long enough base to support towards the knee joint. Don't know if anyone else has tried the Octavia's seats..? Veeery close to choosing the Skoda - hope I'm not about to make a big mistake...

Cheers, Sunbeamer - I looked at the Volvo V50 today. Very nice motor indeed and seats felt good. Problem is, it's out of my price range unfortunately - if I wanted anything above a 1.6 petrol that is... and I really need a diesel because of the mileage I'll be doing.

Tried to get a good look at a C-Max, but the Ford dealer local to me was disinterested to the point of being ignorant. Might just be a little too big for my needs - just my partner and I at the moment.

And Boxterboy, I really do like the look of the new Insignia but I've got to get some wheels over the next few weeks. Maybe in three years time when they've ironed all the new-model-glitches out!

If anyone's interested BTW, my old car's in the classified section. Good home needed for a very well looked-after motor.
Car seats - not what they used to be... - grumpyscot
Strange how the Vectra seats seem to be so bad when it's twin sister - the Saab 93 - has fantastic seats... Or is Saab heading the same way??
Car seats - not what they used to be... - Statistical outlier
I had a 9-5 over new year. I was ambivalent about the seats, my gf hated them with a passion. Very very obtrusive headrests that can't be adjusted backwards - they were pushing her head about 1" forward. Completely impossible to live with.

Funnily enough, I also had a 1.6 Astra as a hire car, and she thought the seats were fabulous in that. It was comfy enough for four hours.

Mate's Golf R32 - I don't like the seats, he and my gf both love.
My Accord - brilliant seats, one of the main reasons I bought it. Good for an 18 hour stint (although I would not recommend that to anyone). Gf is at best ambivalent, one mate hates them.

There's a good dose of whether you're the same shape as the seat designer had in mind. Go try them.
Car seats - not what they used to be... - Brian Tryzers
>Strange how the Vectra seats seem to be so bad when its twin sister - the Saab 93 - has fantastic seats...

A perfect illustration of why the old 'It's just a rebadged Vauxhall' chestnut is so fatuous.
Car seats - not what they used to be... - NARU
I had the foam on my Mondeo drivers seat replaced at 3 years old. First time I've ever had to do that with a car. But even when they were worn, I preferred them to those in my 9-5 Aero.
Car seats - not what they used to be... - midlifecrisis
Leather seats in my 407 Coupe.......superb!

And much more appreciated after a week in an 08 reg Focus...horrible seats. The 'lumbar support' was like leaning against a log. (And you couldn't adjust it)
Car seats - not what they used to be... - davidh
>Strange how the Vectra seats seem to be so bad when its twin sister -
the Saab 93 - has fantastic seats...
A perfect illustration of why the old 'It's just a rebadged Vauxhall' chestnut is so
fatuous.

Why? Not sure I understand - wasnt the 900 and 9-3 cavalier + vectra under pinnings? Would it not be reasonable and fair to wonder if the seats would be the same? Not being funny.
Car seats - not what they used to be... - Victorbox
I drive 25,000 miles a year in a 2006 Zafira, a lot of this is long journeys and I think the seats are superb so I guess it's all a matter of your shape & personal preference.
Car seats - not what they used to be... - L'escargot
I've come to the conclusion that car seat comfort depends on the individual. Some people say Ford Ka seats are very comfortable but, on the basis of 3 courtesy cars, I find them excruciatingly uncomfortable.
Car seats - not what they used to be... - barchettaman
The seats in my 99 Astra are 'orrible, it's the thing I dislike most about the car.
The most comfy cars for me were the 406 and Xantia - both seemed to fit my body shape. Garlic tea, anyone?