best uk breakdown cover - crazed
having told the AA where to stick their bill in disgust at their spokesmans pro-speed camera rant on the radio...

who is giving the best deal for breakdown, recovery, etc ? and do they give one car- any driver, or one driver - any car cover etc

what about the RAC ?
versus the others ?
best uk breakdown cover - Godfrey H {P}
I don't know about the RAC. I'm going to tell them what they can do with their renewal subscription for the same reason over the their support of government anti-motoring policies. In the past
I have been a member of Green Flag for 25 years. I only switched when they started getting greedy putting up the cost and reducing the benefits. This coincided with a change of owner.
In the past on rare occasions when I needed their services they were excellent. I can't comment on what the service is like under the new ownership. Perhaps another backroomer has more recent experience of Gren Flag?
best uk breakdown cover - teabelly
Greenflag have been very good each time I have had to call them out. My car packed up twice in the space of a month with different electrical faults and they were out within 40 minutes on the first occasion and about 25 on the second.
best uk breakdown cover - Thommo
If you only drive a car (or cars) then there are better and cheaper alternatives. If you drive a car and a motorbike then AA or RAC and their any vehicle policies are way cheaper than anyone else where you have to have two policies, unless anyone knows different?
best uk breakdown cover - Toad, of Toad Hall.
If you only drive a car (or cars) then there are
better and cheaper alternatives. If you drive a car and
a motorbike then AA or RAC and their any vehicle policies
are way cheaper than anyone else where you have to have
two policies, unless anyone knows different?

For car and bike I've had to stick with the RAC. As I understand it the AA do not cover bikes free.

Even the RAC are a bit tricky. When I renewed last year I was told bike cover was included free so I renewed.

However although bike cover is free you have to specifically request it! So I was effectivly not covered for th ebike for a year.

RAC and AA for multiple cars are great. I'm covered in *any* car. Green flag cannot compete with this for me.

IIRC National Breakdown do as service where you get two tows for each claim. I.e. you can get a tow home to decide if you can do work yourself then get a tow to a garage if the work is beyond you. This seems good to me.

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
best uk breakdown cover - blowpipe
With regard to cover for bikes, the AA came under fire last year as they stated they would bill you (or your insurance company) following a spill. So, for instance, if you've dropped it and snapped a break/clutch lever, this will cost you, even if you're not going to make an insurance claim.
best uk breakdown cover - BrianW
Before paying out for cover, make sure that you do not have complimentary cover by reason of use of some other service. E.g. Lloyds Platinum bank account covers AA membership and the only add-on you might need IIRC is Home-start for which you can pay a supplement.
best uk breakdown cover - jc
Best by far is Britannia Rescue;you can do one car or for a few pounds extra have personal cover which covers any car you drive.
best uk breakdown cover - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Best by far is Britannia Rescue;you can do one car or
for a few pounds extra have personal cover which covers any
car you drive.

The AA and RAC both cover you for any car your in. Passenger/Freind. ANything.

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
best uk breakdown cover - jc
Yes,but the two times I've called Britannia out it's been under 30 minutes and they're cheaper!
best uk breakdown cover - Simon Templar

I have used Green Flag more times than I care to admit to in the past.They have always been prompt, careful with the car & got me home speedily.Works for me!
Simon T.
best uk breakdown cover - Andrew Hamilton
Glad to hear Brittania OK as although covered by it, I have never needed it! My cheapo Budget insurance, which uses Fortis as insurer threw in free DAS Motor assistance Gold despite dropping my insurance to £186 comp. for aged metro.

Would be interested if this DAS any good?
best uk breakdown cover - Daedalus
Crazed,

I have been with the RAC now for about 23 years, mainly because they are still the best for a car and a bike. I dont use them much but when I do they have been very good. When my wife broke down on the M1 and literally melted the engine in the Mondeo, I rang them up from home explanined she had the kids with her and could they help even though she wasn't on the policy? They were there in less than 30 mins and had gone by the time I arrived with the other car for her to continue the journey upto Newcastle to see her folks. I waited another 1/2 an hour and the recovery came and took the car to my local Ford dealer. They never even mentioned recovery of any costs or quibled in any way. This was the second time they have responded in this way to my wife breaking down so she is now on the policy as well, which they did at no extra charge. HOWEVER I pay by direct debit ever year in Feb and it costs about £100, I am sure if challenged this cost it may come down along the lines of the special offers they always seem to be doing. But for £100 per year for the service we have had; you know' I can't be bothered.

Bill
best uk breakdown cover - deltaseven
I've only been a member of the AA in the UK for a few months, and am embarrased to admit that I've called them out twice now. The first time, for a home-start, and the second on the M4. My home start response was just under 30 minutes, and the roadside recovery only 22 minutes.

As far as their recovery service goes - I couldn't fault them. the repair centres are very pricey though, and as was mentioned previously, their official word on speed cameras very dicey!

guess it depends on why you join the organisation...
best uk breakdown cover - dave18
They are very good.
Just be careful with their 'fair use' policy: 6 times in a year and whatever cover you have reverts to roadside only, and you have to pay for each call out and cover the costs of towing.
They were great towards me when the 309 broke down in Sunderland. 30 minute call out time, they took me and 3 friends back home (near Liverpool) and then dropped the car off at my local Peugeot dealer which was another 10 miles from home.
Funnily enough, the patrol man asked what speeds we were doing on the motorway. '100.' He was rather disapproving.
best uk breakdown cover - twinturbo
Hi Try this i left the AA after a few things changed ie:not covering my van now at 3.5 ton ,they always used to in the past, not until i actually needed them for my van did i find out (most helpful)along with a few other things .so never again will i trust the "AA"So anyway as i said before try this
BREAKDOWN ASSISTANCE FROM SHELL

Shell has teamed up with Green Flag motoring
assistance to bring you
a brand new breakdown service with three cover levels
from just 55
pounds.
And because every level includes home-call, it's great
value. Choose
Local, National or European cover. Recovery 24 hours
a day, 7 days a
week, 365 days a year. Their Rapid Response Pledge
means you can
claim a 10 pound fuel voucher if they don't reach you
within the hour.
Sounds good to us. Click below for details:-
www.dgm2.com/m/shellassist/t.asp?A=1199&I=1246

best uk breakdown cover - Godfrey H {P}
Wow! Thanks twinturbo this offer is oustanding value for money. I hope its not just a temporary promotion and is still around when my renewal comes round.
best uk breakdown cover - Paul531
Dial Direct have included in my car insurance policy {fully comp}free 'full monty' RAC cover, which the RAC would charge circa £120 for.

See my posting

'Insurance just gets cheaper and better'

Don't know what the RAC is like {always been with Green Falg before}but for free it cannot be bad

Paul 531
best uk breakdown cover - matt35 {P}
Crazed,
Know the similarity between the AA and a Penguin?
They can both stick thier bills up thier a***s.
Regards,
Matt35.
best uk breakdown cover - Thommo
EXTREMELY worried by the comments re: AA and bike breakdown cover, I assuemed I was fully covered. Will call them Monday for a 'full and frank' discussion.
best uk breakdown cover - Huw
Anyone tried Capita £65 a year for European and cover for £65 a year.

Try to fix problem at Roadside: Yes
Recovery to the nearest garage only: Yes - Your car will be transported to a local garage, which is capable of carrying out the repairs within a reasonable amount of time, your home or original destination.
Roadside help: Yes
Recovery to any UK destination: Yes
Recovery of up to 7 passengers: Yes
Home start up: Yes - Includes problems occurring within one mile of your home.
Car hire/Train ticket/Accommodation: Yes - Applies if customers are leaving the car for local repair.
Caravan or Trailer included? Yes
Average call out time: Within the hour
Maximum number of calls per annum: Unlimited
No claims discount: ---
Exclusive Features: Includes full European cover.

more detail through here www.moneysupermarket.com/RoadsideRescueP/