What type of H.T.Leads? - twinturbo
i have a dual fuel car recently it has started missing slightly when i gently accelerate,once it gets past 2000rpm there's no problemit goes like hell with no misses at all!

i am going to fit new plugs(NGK) and i also want replace the H.T.Leads as someone has told me this will likely be the cause and that i should fit 8mm raceing leads but they cannot remember the make of these leads, he also says that the people who make the leads specify that they are up to the job when it comes to Lpg as you need a bigger spark to ignite the fuel.
does anyone know of these high performance leads? when i have asked at the car shops they look blank .
TT
What type of H.T.Leads? - Cyd
There are many makes of high performance leads to choose from: Lumenition, Taylor, Splitfire, MegaLeads & Magnecor to name just a few.

Many A1 motor stores will stock the Splitfire range. These make a good value upgrade. If you want to go the "whole hog" I can personally recommmend Magnecor. I have a set of their KV85 leads on my Rover Turbo and can report that the car runs much better on these than it did on the OE leads. These are competition grade, they also do 7 & 8 mm sports ranges. I got mine from Demon Tweeks (www.demon-tweeks.co.uk), but you could try browsing the ads in one of the boy-racer monthlys (Revs, Max Power etc etc). Magnecor competition leads have a 10 year guarantee!!
many thanks Cyd, i,ve foundthe "Magnecor" web site and i was happily surprised that they have the leads for my car listed so i'll order the set , thanks once again.

TT
What type of H.T.Leads? - Bert
Could you say which car you have?

Bert
Hi Bert, the car is a 430 Maserati, thats why i get these blank looks from theses young counter assistants, actualy on this particular occasion the young lad asked " who makes them?" as he tried looking for the listing .
Or ususally the younger set think its a sort of Toyota or Datsun.
regards

TT
What type of H.T.Leads? - Bert
TT
Lovely car, but my problem concerns Mondeos & misfires, on other query.
Cheers anyway
Bert
What type of H.T.Leads? - jc
See if you can get a set of copper-cored leads(resistors built in at the ends)instead of the carbon-impregnated leads that most manufacturers use for radio interference suppression.
What type of H.T.Leads? - jc
I should also have said fit a new coil;they frequently continue working but at nowhere near their original output.
Hi and thanks for input, i had decided to order a set of "Magnacor" 8mm leads but then i found this site and have decided to go for these instead ,they are also cheaper. The site is www.fuelcat.co.uk

10mm for the extra edge will fit 75% of makes of car with a colour choice of red or blue. An example set shown on the left are for a Volkswagen Golf, but they are available for all makes and models. One owner says, "On my Jaguar XJ40, I keep a very careful check on how much fuel I use, and whilst running on LPG my MPG has improved 6 MPG."
The sets consist of Plug and HT leads which are 10 mm 6 core; antimagnetic insulation property, well in excess of 50kv; very low resistance, 275 ohms per meter which gives excellant spark quality; good suppression; longevity by using Stainless steel wire wound cores; oil, ozone, fuel and heat resistant; durable design and construction. And as the owner above has found, apart from being beneficial on petrol engines it is very beneficial with LPG. They are individually made for your car with high temperature silicone plug boots with grip ribs, so no need to cut leads to size. Guaranteed to outperform OEM wires.

Regards TT
What type of H.T.Leads? - pmh
Whilst the price is reasonable cf some grossly overpriced performance products, we will await your unbiased long term test results with baited breath. Yes, u will probably get better economy and starting/running than you do at the moment, as you say the existing leads are defective.

If a product sounds too good to be true it generally is. Hyped up 'technical specs' of piece parts of product do not make something better than OE. If thing really can be made that much better the manufacturers would be biting off the supplier hands. You only have to look at other products and product claims on that web site to start asking questions.

pmh (was peter)
What type of H.T.Leads? - lezebre
Just had a look at that website, biturbo.
some members of this forum were only recently wondering where one of our "old boys" had gone; now we know where he must be!

< >
What type of H.T.Leads? - Guy Lacey aka Golf Geek
Hello biturbo.

NIce car and nice to see you've converted to LPG - must have been quite a job fitting it to that! I take it you have had to fit the more sophisticated injection type system and not the crude but very effective venturi system fitted to my MkII Golf.

I'm interested in your comments ref needing a bigger spark for LPG - I thought it would be the other way around as LPG has a higher octane (I think!) I've never noticed any difference between LPG and petrol but then at a mere 115bhp I don't think you would but on your car.........!!!

Rgds

Guy

If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen.
communities.msn.com/honestjohn
Hello Guy, i have had a Multi point sequential Lpg system fitted as the car is a bit complex, if you would like to see pic's of the conversion go to www.go-lpg.co.uk ,on the left hand side scroll down and click on "Maserati twin turbo", its quite interesting.

As far as the octane your right that the octane is higher its about 110.......but the calorific value per litre of Lpg is approx 15-20% less per litre than petrol, thats why you get slightly less Mpg on gas .but then price difference takes care of this. By the way Guy ,this may be of use to you, i have recently joined a drivers association that lets you go to certain nominated Lpg stations and fill up for 30 -34 pence a litre .interested let me know and i,ll give you the details .

Also there is a small power drop because of this calorific value, hence the need for the ignitionsystem to be in tip top condition.

Oh and yes Guy Maserati's are a bit "Tempermental" but Oh what fun when that 350bhp starts screaming and everything appears in the mirrors seem to be going backwards up to 170mph.

TT
LPG drivers association - Guy Lacey aka Golf Geek
350bhp - cripes. The guy who did my conversion is running a 380bhp M5 and has similar fun to you!

Would love to hear more about the association for even cheaper gas.....

If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen.
communities.msn.com/honestjohn
What type of H.T.Leads? - BTT
Interested to see your maserati & am going to have my jag done, would like details of the drivers association & would like to know if go-lpg gave a good service as they are on my short list of fitters

BTT
What type of H.T.Leads? - John S
May not be relevant here, but one word of caution on these large diameter leads. I had some silicone lead which I needed to use on a Lucas Distributor. The standard leads were smaller in diameter than the replacement, and so it wouldn't fit the distributor cap. Net result - one cracked cap where I tried to drill it out to get the silicone lead to fit!

Regards

John S
What type of H.T.Leads? - 547HEW
A larger voltage is needed to break down the spark gap when running on LPG. This is because the fuel/air mixture is homogeneous (i.e. dry), whereas with gasoline there are enough "wet" bits around to permit easy ionisation of the spark gap.

Typically, an engine which runs without misfire under all speeds and loads on a 1.0mm gap on gasoline, will need a 0.75mm gap on LPG.