Lipstick on your collar, asphaltines in your tank. - oilrag
Introducing a whole new level of interest for advocates of diesel fuel additives... snigger..;);)

tinyurl.com/6dnb94

A serious point though. (well..;)

It was often said (can`t remember where) that its best to keep your car fuel tank as full as possible of derv in Winter to avoid water condensing out of the air and contaminating the fuel.
However, It seems asphaltines form at a micro level as fuel ages and this is a primary cause of filter service life being reduced due to its gradual build up on the element.

So what`s best for the car (or filter) that only gets through a tank of diesel every few weeks in Winter?

On the one hand, the tank could be gradually run to empty, letting condensation occur with risk of creatures living in the water drop in the fuel filter base, feeding on the fuel and skeletons building up in a pile...

Alternatively the tank could be topped off with a gallon or so weekly. But then some fuel molecules are going to be in there for years and asphaltines would build up..

OK, maybe you`re wanting to write `change the filter` and so on.. but you can`t be let off that easily...;)

Maybe the answer is only the presenting question. If belief is the price of sentience, what`s going on in the fuel system and do you really want to intervene?
;)

Lipstick on your collar, asphaltines in your tank. - L'escargot
If belief is the price of sentience ............

What's sentience?
;)
Lipstick on your collar, asphaltines in your tank. - L'escargot
I've just found it in another dictionary.
Sorry L,escargot..Thought you were teasing me into stating a context definition ;)
Lipstick on your collar, asphaltines in your tank. - welshlad
keeping the tank full is the lesser of 2 evils if condensation forms in the tank then this can cause emulsification which happens quicker and is far more damaging so i would say in the great 'to top up or not to top up that is the question' top up is the answer
Lipstick on your collar, asphaltines in your tank. - Waino
You can't win, can you? If it's not Broon, it's Darling ..... if it's not condensation, it's asphaltines. O me miserum!
Lipstick on your collar, asphaltines in your tank. - gordonbennet
Sometimes i long for the old days of blissful ignorance-:(

Went to petrol/diesel pumps, bought fuel, drove away, it was so simple then, the biggest worry was finding who was doing double geen shield stamps...
Lipstick on your collar, asphaltines in your tank. - PhilW
"who was doing double green shield stamps.."
You mean quadruple -and whether you could get 4 gallons for a quid!