2002 2.0 Cam Sensor - meldrew
Apparently the total shutdown of the engine is a cam sensor fault.
The car does however start again after a switch off ans pause but I really don't want it to happen on a motorway.

Aparently this problem is "well known". Can anyone enlighten me?

I expect it to be pricey - the car has been BMW serviced from new.
Is it worth asking for "contribution" ?!

My wife says, at 50k miles, it's time she had a 320CI.........

What a way to start retirement!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/07/2008 at 14:43

2002 2.0 Cam Sensor - valmiki
Hi

Has this been picked up by a code reader?

I've just replaced the cam sensor on my E39 2001 520 (2.2 litre, M54) engine, I think yours is the same going by the year & engine size.

As for prices, the inlet cam sensor (the one that tends to fail) cost £76 from the local dealer, the GSF one was about £55 -ish. It shouldn't take more than 30 mins max to fit.

I had both cam sensors (inlet and exhaust) replaced for £30 at my indy.

Car is now running smoothly.

If you're getting it fitted at the dealers, make sure that the price they charge you for the sensor isn't more than you would have paid for by itself!
2002 2.0 Cam Sensor - meldrew
Thanks for comment. It went to a BMW dealer (Bluebell) who did all the checks and said it was the CRANKSHAFT sensor not the camshaft.

I felt the main dealer would have all the kit and it does seem so and Mrs M is happy that I paid £285 incl for the job! The part was les that £50 if i recall correctly without the invoice, certainly not expensive. She is a person who enjoys her driving and says it runs far better too.

Saved money previously by having springs done at my very good local independant (and sent the bill to the local council) so I feel costs are balancing out.

No chance of affording a CI though......

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/07/2008 at 21:42