Brake fluid renewal - L'escargot
What's the normal procedure for a garage renewing brake fluid? Would there normally be visible evidence of the renewal, and if so what would that be? I've paid for this work to be done but I'm suspicious that it hasn't been. I've purposely not said what I've seen (and not seen) on the car so that I don't influence your answers.
Brake fluid renewal - mustangman
I've a Focus myself, and have recently bled the brakes in the "old way".

I would have said that you should see clear, clean fluid in the reservoir, perhaps with a drip by the cap, but mostly there should be evidence that the dust caps on the bleed screws have been removed, ie: no dust film, and I would have thought a witness of brake fluid around the nipple.
If you have drum rears the nipples / screws are right at the top of the backplates, not easy to see.

I assume that your brakes have not been subject to evacuation, (vacuum) and have just been pressure filled.

MM
Brake fluid renewal - Number_Cruncher
If the mechanic was careful, and if a vacuum bleeder was used, then there would be very little evidence of the brake fluid change having been done, other than perhaps some fresh spanner marking on the bleed nipple (but, if a well fitting 6 point spanner were used you might not see anything there either) - using a vacuum bleed machine, there wouldn't even be any fluid marking by the bleed nipple.

Brake fluid renewal ~ update - L'escargot
Well, I bit the bullet and queried the fluid change with the service manager. He said that if customers were not happy with any work they had had done he preferred them to query it rather than just go elsewhere next time. There and then he had the car raised on a hoist and he showed me the spanner witness marks on the hexagons of all four bleed nipples. He then said that regardless of this evidence he would have the brakes re-bled because he wanted me to go away happy. So, in the presence of the service manager, I watched a technician re-bleed the brakes at all four corners and noted that about a pint of fresh fluid had been put in. I was well satisfied.

For the benefit any sceptics, it was a Ford franchised dealer.

Edited by L'escargot on 24/06/2008 at 15:39

Brake fluid renewal ~ update - mustangman
Dear "snail"

Just a question that bugs me about Focus brakes. Do you find them rather poor, with little initial "bite" and a rather dead feel ? Ulimately they work, but only if you press really hard, it's the usual sort of check braking that I think is not good.

I think Focii with rear drums are worse than the 2.0 models which have rear discs.
Just a question that bugs me about Focus brakes. Do you find them rather poor
with little initial "bite" and a rather dead feel ?

This is my second Mk I Focus (both with rear discs) and the brakes seem perfectly normal and satisfactory to me.
Brake fluid renewal ~ update - MikeTorque
Well done L'escargot and well done to the Ford garage you used.

My experience of Ford servicing has been excellent, no hassle, first rate collection service/delivery service and courtesy car if required, kept informed of what's going on, quality servicing every time, and yes they changed the brake fluid as well and sorted out the brakes good and proper.
Brake fluid renewal ~ update - Mapmaker
Lucky it wasn't the cambelt that you doubted had been done...
Brake fluid renewal ~ update - ifithelps
mustangman wrote: '...Just a question that bugs me about Focus brakes. Do you find them rather poor, with little initial "bite" and a rather dead feel ...'

Yes, on my Focus 1.8Tdci with rear drums, slightly better post-service.

Ford say change the fluid every two years, seems a bit OTT to me.
Brake fluid renewal ~ update - kithmo
SWBO's 2002 Focus TDDi brakes are very keen, sharper than my Mondeo.
If you think brake fluid change is OTT at two years, buy yourself a Brake fluid tester.
I recently checked my mondeo at 2.5 years old (28k miles) and the indicator was on amber meaning it is due. SWBO's focus brake fluid was changed just over 3 years ago and was on red when I checked it. So IMO 2 years is playing on the safe side, 3 years max.
Brake fluid renewal ~ update - MikeTorque
I get the brake fluid changed every year, it doesn't cost much as part of a service, and I like to know I have a fully operational braking system underneath my right foot.
Brake fluid renewal ~ update - DP
mustangman wrote: '...Just a question that bugs me about Focus brakes. Do you find them
rather poor with little initial "bite" and a rather dead feel ...'

The brakes on my 2002 Focus TDDi were excellent right through to when I parted company with it at 100,000 miles. Plenty of bite, without being overassisted like on most cars today. I think if you compare them to most current cars, there is more pedal effort needed because the servo assistance is much lighter. In my opinion, many current cars have ridiculously over-servoed brakes.

Cheers
DP
Lucky it wasn't the cambelt that you doubted had been done...

I'll let you know the outcome if I've still got the car at 10 years old or 100,000 miles whichever is the sooner.