Damaged in car park - paul45
Some individual has managed to hit my car in a car park yesterday damaging the sill. According to the car park attendant the incident should be on CCTV, a colleague of mine witnessed the car being badly parked in an unmarked bay but did not see (or was aware of) the actual collision. The attendant stated that for data protection reasons I cannot be furnished with the reg of the car but their procedures state that they can give this info as a download to the police on a disk.

I am guessing that this must have happened to a few hundred BR's in the time, doe anyone know of the best way to proceed on this matter?

Cheers
Damaged in car park - NARU
Based on my experience ... not worth the effort. Spent several hours with the police and chasing them and didn't get any result.

If you have legal services on your car insurance might be worth letting them have a go?
Damaged in car park - L'escargot
If you have legal services on your car insurance might be worth letting them have
a go?

Wouldn't this count as a claim?
Damaged in car park - jc2
Involve the police-I had a similar occurrence-tho' the police took no action they did give me the registration number of the other vehicle-I got the owner's name from the DVLA and my legal protection company took it from there-took a bit of time but I got all the money back in the end.

Edited by jc2 on 24/06/2008 at 09:19

Damaged in car park - oldnotbold
I think the car park attendant is talking carp. Your car was damaged, and so I suspect you have a reasonable right to request the reg details from the tape. A sharply worded letter to the MD should suffice.

You then take your £2.50 to the DVLA (see HJ's Sat column) and write another sharp letter, offering to go to the Small Claims Court if they don't pay for your damage.
Damaged in car park - Whisky
The attendant stated that for data protection
reasons I cannot be furnished with the reg of the car

So by the same arguement its against data protection laws for me to display my number plate? As anyone could see it then.
Damaged in car park - paul45
Thanks Guys - some useful info here, I'll use the arguement about the DPA with the organ grinder who should be in when I go back to get my car later this afternoon.

I'll let you know how I get on and I'll be in touch with the legal people on my car insurance.

Damaged in car park - paulb {P}
Specifically, section 35(2) of the '98 DPA may help you here - reads thus:

"(2) Personal data are exempt from the non-disclosure provisions where the disclosure is necessary-
(a) for the purpose of, or in connection with, any legal proceedings (including prospective legal proceedings), or
(b) for the purpose of obtaining legal advice,
or is otherwise necessary for the purposes of establishing, exercising or defending legal rights."

In my line of work "we can't tell you cos of data protection" is a standard excuse for laziness on the part of clerical staff in most major financial institutions and Gov't agencies.
Damaged in car park - kithmo
A registration number is not personal data, it belongs to the DVLA so shouldn't come under the DPA.

Edited by kith on 24/06/2008 at 17:48