Three cylinder engines. - mattbod
I have noticed that there are quite a few of these being made now and I like their characerful nature. Can any of you with technical expertise tell me if they have any inherent advantages or is it solely a cost saving measure in lopping of a cylinder?
Three cylinder engines. - stunorthants26
Ive noticed that they dont tend to fire up as quickly as other configurations, no idea why, but noticed they turn over longer before firing up than say a 4 cyl.
Three cylinder engines. - Number_Cruncher
pro - there's less friction, and so, you should get better economy. There are fewer parts, so they should be lighter, and cheaper. Cheaper both for the manufacturer to make, and for the customer to buy. Ceteris paribus, the reduced parts count should improve reliability - although the deleted parts tend not to be inherently unreliable.

con - there are fewer firing cycles per rev, so, they will sound rougher then a 4 at the same crank speed. There's an imbalanced secondary moment, which means that twice per crank rev, the crank nose wants to dive into the tarmac, and the flywheel end wants to come through the bonnet. Typically, as these engines are used to obtain a lightweight, low cost solution, there's no great appetite for fitting a pair of balance shafts (which would have to rotate & contra-rotate at double crank speed) to correct the imbalance.

Three cylinder engines. - scotty
There's an imbalanced secondary moment

I can't remember much of what I used to know about engine configurations, but doesn't this depend on the angles between the cylinders?

Les
Sorry Les, I should have said both primary and secondary moments.

These moments come from an asymmetry along the length of the engine, and cause it to pitch nose up/down - instead of a bouncing motion of the whole engine which is what a force imbalance produces, a moment imbalances produces a rocking motion.

For a 4 cylinder engine, which doesn't suffer this moment imbalance at all, cylinder 2 follows exactly the motion of cylinder 3, so any pitching torque from 2 is cancelled by 3. The same is true for cylinders 1 and 4. In other words, while the piston in No1 is trying to pull the front of the engine up though the bonnet, so is No 4, and so the engine doesn't pitch along its length.

For a 3 cylinder engine, we can ignore cylinder 2, by temporarily imagining that the engine pivots there. The difference is now that when 1 is going up, 3 is going down - the moments don't cancel, they actually add up!

This mechanism for producing a pitching moment is also true for the irregular part of the piston's motion due to con rod angle, and so there's a secondary component.

At least some of the primary moment imbalance can be removed by the bodge of just adding appropriate conterweights to the nose end and flywheel end of the crank - this has the cost of producing some sidways motion.

To correct my earlier post, full balancing would require counterweights on the crank, one contra rotating balance shaft at crank speed, and two balance shafts running at twice crank speed, one running in the same direction as the crank, and one contra-rotating. I'm fairly sure no-one's going to go to that trouble!

Three cylinder engines. - brum
Sorry NC, but you are incorrect about a few things.

A 3 cylinder 120 deg is fundamentally unbalanced but can be balanced the addition of a simple single speed contra rotating balance shaft. (see www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/smooth1.h...3)

4 cylinder in-line engines are also fundamentally unbalanced, although the unbalance is small and the majority of manufacturers do not fit the the twin double speed counter rotating shafts needed to perfectly balance these lumps.

All the VAG and GM group 3 cylinder engines all feature balance shafts.
www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/ptcawards/entry.jsp?im_...3

I have a VW Polo 1.2 (64bhp) and it is a very smooth engine with quite remarkable low speed torque for its size and returns between 45-50mpg on average.

I think the only things holding back wider adoption of 3 cylinder designs is the public perception that 3 cylinders is in somehow wrong/vastly inferior.
>>Sorry NC, but you are incorrect about a few things.

I don't *think* so - what specifically do you think I've got wrong.

>>(see www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/smooth1.h...3)

Yes, that link is OK, but incomplete - it only discusses the primary moments, and doesn't mention the secondary moment imbalance, for which shafts running at twice crank speed are required.

Yes, 4 cylinder engines are unbalanced - but, that's a secondary force imbalance, NOT a moment imbalance. I was discussing the moment imbalance, as 3 cylinder engines are fully balanced in terms of force.

Yes, 3 cylinder engines do have balance shafts, but they don't FULLY balance the engine.

Three cylinder engines. - L'escargot
For inherent dynamic balance you'll have to go a long way to beat a V8.
>>For inherent dynamic balance you'll have to go a long way to beat a V8.

Are you sure?

I prefer the perfect balance of a straight 6 myself!

Three cylinder engines. - moonshine {P}

I've always found a straight 6 to be by far the smoothest.
Three cylinder engines. - DP
Does anyone remember the glass of water on the inlet manifold trick that old Top Gear did with the Lexus LS400? Revved round to 6000 RPM and not a drop spilled. The BMW 7 series brought along for comparison couldn't even keep the glass upright.

I'm not claiming this to be anything about inherent balance - I'm sure balancer shafts come into play somewhere - but this remains the most impressive thing I have ever seen from a smoothness point of view. No wonder these engines go on forever.
>>For inherent dynamic balance you'll have to go a long way to beat a V8.
Are you sure?

If I remember correctly (admittedly going back 50 years), a V8 is in dynamic balance up to the third harmonic without the need for crankshaft balance weights.
>>a V8 is in dynamic balance

There is primary moment imbalance, which can be largely offset by using crank mounted counterweights.

A straight 6 is in perfect balance, because the primary and secondary moment imbalance discussed for the 3 cylinder engines cancels completely when you put two 3 cylinder engines back to back to make a straight 6.
Three cylinder engines. - FotheringtonThomas
They seem to be OK in operation (I have driven a 3cyl. Corsa a few times, back in 2001). The thing should be a bit lighter, simpler, and more economical.
Three cylinder engines. - Lud
Love them in principle, haven't a clue in practice. But the DKW and Saab 3-cylinder 2-strokes were turbine-like and could deliver terrific power.

People complain that these modern super-economical volumetrically-efficient 3-cyl 4-strokes are coarse or make a droning noise. Personally I doubt it. The thing to do with engines like that is make them sing. I bet they like it too. But I don't really know.
Three cylinder engines. - davidh
I think the 3 cyl engine in the Corsa C (2001-2007) is a Suzuki designed lump although I may be wrong.

Our 1.0l corsa is a characterful thing really which I know isnt a comment usually made about corsas.

Tiny tiny engine, sounds great, yes,I have noticed too that it takes a little longer to crank over before starting. 45mpg is easy. Uses a chain to operate the camshaft and even has drive by wire! Very low maintenance.

Got plenty of go actually and in line with most vauxhalls is actually quite good on the motorway. I dont know where people get this idea about "small cars being out of their depth" on the motorway.

Will do 95 easy. Allegedly.
The thing to do with engines like that is make them sing.

That Corsa, which belonged to a gurl, would zing along quite well, if it was stirred up a bit. Bit like an old Mini, but more refined, economical, reliable.
Three cylinder engines. - klystron
"Make them sing" eh? I have had a Mitsubishi Colt 1500cc three cylinder diesel for about 18 months now (6 speed AMT). The funny thing is when I first started driving it the engine note sounded very familiar in some respects. Then I twigged what it was. Best I could describe it was a bit of Commer TS-3 with a few harmonics of Virgin Voyager thrown in. The TS-3 was a three cylinder 2 stroke diesel, and the Virgin Voyager powered by a Cummins QSK-19 straight six diesel four stroke (apparently), so maybe my old ears aren't far off.

It can sound a bit lumpy on tick over though, definitely sounds a more like a council lawnmower then!

Three cylinder engines. - Cliff Pope
Perkins made a renowned 3 cylinder diesel, the P3, back in the fifties. It was a popular semi-official conversion for petrol tractors and LandRovers.
Three cylinder engines. - Roly93
Perkins made a renowned 3 cylinder diesel the P3 back in the fifties. It was
a popular semi-official conversion for petrol tractors and LandRovers.

>>
Most common small farm tractors of the 60's and 70's had 3 cyl diesels ie Massey 135/148 , Ford 2000/3000 etc.
Three cylinder engines. - jc2
Ford used a version of the P3 in the Dexta tractor;didn't Trojan use them as well?.The Commer engine may have had three cylinders but it had six pistons.Drove a 3-cylinder VW recently-nothing special.
Three cylinder engines. - piggy
Most common small farm tractors of the 60's and 70's had 3 cyl diesels ie
Massey 135/148 Ford 2000/3000 etc.

Yes,and I seem to remember they were pigs to get going on a cold winter`s day
There used to be a very large sort of American tractor with a single front wheel and a giant single-cylinder diesel that had to be started with a cartridge, like a 12-bore blank.
Three cylinder engines. - Screwloose
Lud

If it was a particularly bilious green - or even orange; then it could well have been a Field Marshall.
bilious green - or even orange

No idea. Rust coloured I would think. Always wanted to be there when one was started though. Never was.

When I was small during the war tractors here had steel wheels at both ends. The rear ones (indeed the front ones too in their different way) were like the steel wheels on a 19th c. traction engine, with diagonal blades on the rear wheels that made a distinctive mark, different from the graunching of tanks, on the road. Of course tyres made from rubber were reserved for the military. Farmers could get fuel though to produce food.
Lud

You'd have had to get up very early; once going, they stayed running all day - a hot 5-litre single cylinder diesel with a half-ton flywheel is very hard to stop anyway.

Yes; a lot of tractors; particularly the oval tanked Fordsons [pre Super Major] had iron wheels - they came in various degrees of bite. The vicious spade lug variety allowed you to plough a wet clay field - but one second's wheelspin and you were beached.
You could get Fordsons back in the 50/60's with steel wheels,normal tractor rubber wheels or road-going rubber wheels(used on concrete or grass cutting etc.)When they came off the assembly line,the steel wheels had large pieces of wood bolted to the wheel to protect the environment(lugs were supplied for the dealer/farmer to fit.).This applied to both the Majors and the three cylinder Dextas.
Yu're thinking of either a Field Marshall or a Lanz tractor. Big favorites of mine at the Kent County Show each year and have seen the 12 bore start. They say you can also hand crank it but asingle cylinder with a 10 inch stroke and 8 inch bore?! Great noise though.
Three cylinder engines. - mike hannon
You could start a Field Marshall by cranking it - IIRC it had a decompression lever (or pedal, I can't remember which) sticking out from under the seat. Someone had to crank it with a huge handle with compression off and then the driver let up the pedal when it was turning over and hoped.
My friend's father, who was a Nuffield dealer, once took an ancient FM in part exchange and I remember it took three of us teenagers to turn it over on the handle, even without compression.
My father drove one of the first Field Marshalls in the Westcountry just before WW2 but he always said it wasn't used much because everyone was afraid of it.
Come to think of it, the SFV - Societe Francaise Vierzon - was another Field Marshall-like machine that started with a cartridge. You still see them at shows in France.

Edited by mike hannon on 22/06/2008 at 10:44

Three cylinder engines. - focussed

You could be thinking of the Field Marshall tractors-made by Marshall Sons and Co of Gainsborough Lincolnshire.

The early ones were cartridge start, there was a very well maintained one still working in a Norfolk boatyard in the late nineties.

Three cylinder engines. - Roly93
Horrible things, always feel as though they are misfiring. When I worked in Cyprus I always got the 3cyl Daihatsu Charade as a hire car...
Three cylinder engines. - lordwoody
"Horrible things, always feel as though they are misfiring"

Funny how you read comments on these forums that you never see anywhere else in reviews and road tests. I now know from reading the forums this week that the Aygo ( and it's other bretheren presumably) feels like it's misfiring and feels like it's going to tip up on corners ( from a previous recent thread). Is there a conspiracy between reviewers that means we are never told these thing?
Three cylinder engines. - Geordie1
My daughter still runs a 3 cylinder (993cc) Suzuki Swift which she has had from new as a 17th birthday pressie 12 years ago. It has never missed a beat, sounds great when pushed, and she would not part with it.
Three cylinder engines. - stackman
I seem to remember reading some years ago that the most efficient capacity for a cylider was about 350cc. This took into account volume/surface area/circumference for friction ratios, bore/stroke balance etc.

Therefore three cylinders gets 1050cc, four cylinders 1400cc and so a modular engine range can be built up.

Many modern Triumph motorcycle engines are triples and they are reckoned to be a good compromise between the low down torque of a twin and the high revving power of a four.
Three cylinder engines are often associated with dull economy cars, but they have been used in more interesting applications too. Anyone remember the Daihatsu Charade GTTi? Sub-1000cc three pot turbo with 100 bhp in a car weighing about 800kg. It was seriously quick and sounded great with it.

The other showcase for how wonderful a three cylinder engine can be is the Triumph motorcycle range. The old 955 triple is one of my favourite motorcycle engines, and the new 1050 version is supposed to be even better. I just love the noise these things make - a sort of thrummy, offbeat growl. Much more characterful than an in-line four.

Cheers
DP

The Rootes Group had a 3-cylinder 2-stroke diesel engine. tinyurl.com/3ljftl
Three cylinder engines. - *Gongfarmer*
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

The same idea powered the Deltic engine, all 18 cylinders and 36 pistons of it!

I also recall Daihatsu claiming 333cc was the ideal size for optimum volumetric efficiency when it released its 1 litre 3 cylinders.

About 15 years ago the motoring press were telling us the 2 -strokes were to make a big comeback led by an (Australian?) company called Orbital. They'd progressed far enough to have a fleet of 3 pot 2 strokes running around in Fiesta Panda cars. Whatever happened to them ?
Won't meet current emission regs;barely met them when they were tried in Fiestas and others.Very complcated-bore little similarity to a conventional two-stroke.
I remember many of the car mags testing the Orbital powered Fiesta and proclaiming it to be 'the future'. It didn't half go apparently, and did well over 40 mpg.

A very misunderstood beast, the two stroke. I always think of highly strung motorcycle engines that make a million hp per litre, seize on command, and need rebuilding every 10,000 miles. Yet talking to a microlight pilot friend, he tells me they have a few planes on the club fleet with Rotax two strokes and they're brilliantly dependable. They get stripped down and rebuilt every 300 hrs as recommended by the manufacturers, but rarely need anything doing to them until well over 700 hrs. They have 1000 hour + engines still running well.

Bear in mind as well, these things are sympathetically warmed up, but otherwise have a very hard life, spending about 90% of their running time between 5500 and 7000 RPM. Failures in service are extremely rare.

Cheers
DP

Three cylinder engines. - tr7v8
I'll concur with the Suzuki Swift 993 3 pot. We had one here & it'd do 46MPG harassing 3 series in the outside lane & near 60MPG driven like miss daisy. Who needs a diesel!

They have an uneven beat but you get used to it.

Also reliable enough to be used in Microlights, especially the USA where it's called the Geo.

The reason they are slow to start is they run fairly archaic style management that is slow to sense the crank positions. It's also multi point injection unlike a lot of small cars. Good for 50BHP in the Suzy.
Three cylinder engines. - mike hannon
40 years ago I had a Wartburg with a three-cylinder 991cc two-stroke engine. It was extremely smooth and lively when revving, presumably because of the two-stroke firing cycle, but at tick-over it was anything but.
Wasn't the Rootes Group TS3 diesel (originally designed by Tilling Stevens) a bit different because it had three horizontally-opposed cylinders with six pistons?
Last year I saw what may have been the most famous installation of that engine, in the former Ecurie Ecosse racing car transporter, at the Circuit des Remparts at Angouleme.
I asked the driver/mechanic to start it up for me, which he kindly did. Even though it didn't have the renowned transverse silencer at the front it sounded lovely.
Three cylinder engines. - Snakey
Wifes 1.2 Polo 3 cylinder is a lovely little engine. Revvy and energetic and will run at 80mph all day which isn't bad for 55bhp!

Downsides, economy not as good as you would expect even when driven gently and a slightly uneven tickover.

Would still have another though. Its an engine with a little bit of character!
Revvy and energetic and will
run at 80mph all day which isn't bad for 55bhp!

That's the problem with most of them. Revvy they may be; but knackered by 60K.
Three cylinder engines. - Bill Payer
Wifes 1.2 Polo 3 cylinder is a lovely little engine. Revvy and energetic and will
run at 80mph all day which isn't bad for 55bhp!

We have the same engine (although I believe a more powerful version) in a Seat Ibiza - it does run very well when revved, but at slow speed around town etc, it's juddery to the extent that it feels like there's an engine mount missing (I'm assured there isn't!).
Downsides economy not as good as you would expect even when driven gently and a
slightly uneven tickover.

Economy is a known issue with these engines - pretty well everyone seems to get way worse consumption than VAG suggest.

We also have 3 cyl Colt - it's a little lumpy at tickover but once on the move (even at low speeds) you'd really never know it was only 3cyls. And it's economical too.
Three cylinder engines. - craig-pd130
Suzuki's 2-stroke triple bike engines are lovely to ride, hugely characterful and with 3 bangs per revolution, go very well indeed.

I have a GT380 which is uncannily smooth, perfect primary balance but you do get a secondary harmonic shake at tickover.
Three cylinder engines. - commerdriver
The Rootes Group had a 3-cylinder 2-stroke diesel engine.

The Ecurie Ecosse transporter is probably the best known vehicle using it
(my entry for geek of the week)
Did it have six opposed pistons working through rockers on a central crankshaft? Anyway the Commer turbodiesel was a very sporting sounding lorry engine, and they used to go briskly too.
Three cylinder engines. - klystron
Yes sporty indeed Lud........ a bit like this eh?

tinyurl.com/3mas76
Wonderful! Brought tears to my eyes.
Some fascinating answers here thanks. Just been down to my friendly Skoda Dealer (who supplied my car) and tried 1.2 HTp petrol triple (12 v) and 80 BHP 1.4 TDI triple. Intriguing little motors and found them great in different ways. The 1.2 petrol pulls well low down but really likes to spin and sounds cracking as you wind it up. Does have a slightly "fluttery" idle though and a bit hesitant coming off idle as though it wants to stall, but it never does. Diesel pulls well but with that same slight hiccough from idle but still likes to rev and has the same off beat growl. Both felt mechanically smooth and I am told they both have a balancer shaft. 1.4 tdi certainly sweeter once spinning than 4 pot 1.9 IMHO.

Edited by Mattbod on 20/06/2008 at 17:43

Three cylinder engines. - Sofa Spud
Another comment about V8 engines on this thread about 3-cylinder ones!!!!!

V8's might be very well balanced dynamically but the interference pattern of the pressure waves in the exhaust system undo all that as far as perceived smoothness goes! Unless it's heavily silenced, that is.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 20/06/2008 at 18:27

The very varied opinions on these modern four-stroke 3-cylinder engines make them seem even more interesting.

Screwloose, are they all knackered at 60,000 as you say the VAG unit is (despite its hearty output or perhaps because of it) or are some as durable as other modern engines?
Lud

That wasn't specifically about the VAG engine - they'll often have thrown a chain and died long before then. [Their perkier 4-cyls aren't much better.]

Most of the 3-cyls don't seem to make old bones; the Corsa one will usually struggle to meet MOT emissions testing at anywhere from 40K upwards due to the amount of worn piston blow-by upsetting the readings. [I just re-submit them with the smoke-pluming breather pipe disconnected and replace it after the test.]

None of these lawnmower engines should be entertained as a safe second-hand buy. High specific output = high wear.

Edited by Screwloose on 20/06/2008 at 19:46

Three cylinder engines. - daveym
>>None of these lawnmower engines should be entertained as a safe second-hand buy. High specific output = high wear.

55bhp from a 1.0 litre engine isn't much though!!

Screwloose I'm afraid your argument confuses me. Surely ANY small engine will fail prematurely if thrashed mercielessly and if not maintained properly. I havread elsewhere that a 3 pot is sturdier because of its short and rigid crank. I find your Vauxhall argument hard to believe as I see lots of early millenium 12v Corsas (the 1 litre triple) on the road as popular with learners. I don't think 60-70 bhp for a 1.2 in the case of the VAG as particularly high by todays standards and that engines limiter is a relatively tame 6500 rpm. I don't agree that the VAG 1.4 four pot is perkier, in fact i found that engine thrashy and gutless. High specific output needn't mean high wear. How do you explain 100 bhp per litre Honda VTECS going twice around the clock?

Edited by Mattbod on 20/06/2008 at 20:54

Whatever the reason - and outputs do indeed vary between makes; these 3-cyls seem to wear very fast. The fact that cost and weight are significant factors in their development may well be involved. [A Honda VTEC may produce it's max rated output very rarely when compared to a 1.0ltr unit.]

My reference to "perkier" 4-pot versions was aimed at the high-output [100PS] VAG units; many of which are shot by the end of the warranty. [If not run on 98 octane fuel.]
Three cylinder engines. - JoeVTS

My girlfriend and I both bought 5 door cars recently after the arrival of our daughter. I got a 15 year old civic VTi with 70k for £1200, she got a 9 year old 12v ibiza with 60k for £2700. As you say about power usage, i very rarely stray into VTEC territory, but driving her car i find my foot pressed hard to the floor about 90% of the time. I think the 94bhp/litre, 8000rpm civic will be going long after her 54bhp/litre, 5750rpm ibiza has gone to the crusher. So far I've replaced worn ARB bushes and warped discs (which were like that when i bought the car), she's had 3 new coilpacks after it started misfiring and now it's started stalling randomly... and i'm just counting the days until the cam chain slips. Cheap, simple, reliable are three words that should never be used to describe these engines. And whoever said 3 pots are revvy and eager has obviously spent their whole life driving absolute dogs.

Three cylinder engines. - alan1302

And whoever said 3 pots are revvy and eager has obviously spent their whole life driving absolute dogs.

They usually are revvy and eager - I know the one in my old Corsa was

Bit like the Ford V4 which looked like a good idea at the time.

I suppose the Lancia one, which was a jewel, cost more to make.
will usually struggle to meet MOT emissions testing at anywhere from 40K upwards
due to the amount of worn piston blow-by

Screwloose, are you very sure it's to do with wear? I would be quite surprised - a piston in an individual bore in a 3-cylinder engine is just like a piston in an individual bore in differently-configured engine, isn't it? From quite some time ago, I recall issues with flex in the blocks of light-alloy engines causing this problem. Is the Corsa engine light-alloy?
None of these lawnmower engines should be entertained as a safe second-hand buy.
High specific output = high wear.

Surely this goes for *any* performance engine (which I define here as one giving more than around 100 hp (DIN)), and means therefore that no "sporty" cars are safe 2-hand bargains!
Three cylinder engines. - Geordie1
Lud

Most of the 3-cyls don't seem to make old bones;

Re daughter's Suzuki Swift previously referred to...it has clocked 110k+ miles; is constantly driven in a 'lively' manner and has never had any engine repairs or attention no doubt due to regular servicing.
Another comment about V8 engines on this thread about 3-cylinder ones!!!!!

Sorry, Mr Spud :~D
Three cylinder engines. - retgwte
biggest issue with 3 cylinder engines is what happens when you loose a single HT lead

I had a hire car with a 3 cylinder engine and one of the HT leads died, so you end up with a 2 cyclinder engine which is totally none viable, not even able to crawl home

Compared with most 4 cylinder engines which will happily continue to drive if they loose a single HT lead, running then on 3 cylinders

Practical consideration this one

Three cylinder engines. - Bill Payer
one of the HT leads died so you end up with a 2 cyclinder engine which is totally none
viable not even able to crawl home

...and that's a real issue with a VAG car and their generically unreliable coil packs - we've had 2 failures on our Ibiza.

What was a real pain is the "Seat Assist" (which is the AA) can't do a warranty replacement so they'll put a generic spare in and then follow the car to a Seat dealer to have it replaced. AA man said it could be driven on 2cyls with the injector disconnected - I refused to allow that.
Three cylinder engines. - bathtub tom
OK. You've lost me here with second and third generation harmonics.

I was taught that a horizontally opposed was 'in balance', and could just about understand the angular acceleration of the con-rod and piston concept, but could never understand why 2CVs and beetles vibrated so much.
OK. You've lost me here with second and third generation harmonics.

It's not as bad as it sounds, it's just comparing the frequency of vibration with the frequency of the crankshaft.

If a cycle of vibration coincides with one full turn of the crank, that's a primary vibration. If there are two cycles of vibration per rev, then it's secondary, and so on. Sometimes, instead of primary, secondary, etc., these may also be called called first order, second order, ...

So, for example, if you are designing a vibration isolation system for the torque from a six cylinder 4 stroke engine; there are 3 firing events per rev, these dominate the fluctuations in torque, and so, the third order vibrations are the dominant ones in the spectrum, and so if the engine runs at 3000 rpm, i.e. 50Hz, the dominant torsional vibration will be at 150Hz.

Three cylinder engines. - Oilyman
And I am under...................................
Z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
I always find these things fascinating, even if some (much) of it does go over my head. That said I understood the last post (I think)! :-)

Cheers
DP
Three cylinder engines. - brum
There are a lot of negative comments from the "experts", the only positive ones seem to come from owners/users.

My 4 yr old VAG 1.2 3 pot has just flown through its MOT with flying colours.

Just under 53,000 miles (oil last changed 43,600)

Fast Idle CO 0.004% vol
HC 0 ppm
Lambda 1.004
Natural Idle CO 0.020% vol

I have changed the oil approx every 11-13,000 miles - which is a little beyond the manufacturers recomendation. Its never drunk a drop of oil between oil changes.

I guess from the above data, its on its last legs and about to collapse in a heap at 65,000 miles...... ;)

Edited by brum on 21/06/2008 at 01:24

Ah. Dr. Frederick William Lanchester, FRS:

www.jstor.org/stable/768769?seq=6

No diagramme of his twin-cylinder engine, unfortunately. I've got one in a book somewhere, a picture tells a thousand words.
Just thinng of Screwloose mentioning frantic small high specific output engines being worn smooth at 60k. Wonder how the new Fiat Turbo twin will fare with its 105 BHP. Wonder how they will smooth it out and whether it will be a 360 degree crank ie pistond firing at same time or 270.
3 cyl engines - why do they start slower? - stunorthants26
Just something ive noticed having owned quite a few 3 cyl cars and driven many more - they nearly always turn over slower and for longer than other configurations. Is there a reason that they take a bit longer to 'catch'? Just curious, maybe its just me!
3 cyl engines - why do they start slower? - mss1tw
Maybe they run higher compression to make up for the missing 'pot'.

Or because the engine will be timed differently, maybe the various cam/crank sensors don't get refreshed data as often as those on a 4 cylinder., so it takes them slightly longer to get the mixture just right for starting. If that makes sense, can't quite think how to put it.

Edited by mss1tw on 02/01/2009 at 22:20

3 cyl engines - why do they start slower? - mfarrow
Makes perfect sense mss1tw.

They appear to rotate slower because you only go through compression only every 240 degrees, instead of 180 for a 4-cylinder engine.

The compression ratio cannot be any greater than a normal engine as for an NA engine you will soon experience pinking.

I have no idea why it takes longer to catch though - the engine should take as long as any other to realise where the camshaft and crankshaft are.
3 cyl engines - why do they start slower? - Bill Payer
We have two - VAG 1.2 in an Ibiza (horrible engine and installation - is better at speed than trundling around town) and Mitsubishi Colt (few people would know it wasn't 4cyl) and I've never noticed this.
3 cyl engines - why do they start slower? - ole cruiser
If this is indeed true, the best I can think of is: (1) pro rata to engine size, the cylinders are bigger so more compression to overcome; whilst (2) the battery is still a midget, and to compensate for this the starter motor assembly is lower geared.
I know that when starting in the current cold conditions first thing in the morning, my Charade turns over slower the first time and then when its warmed up it fires alot quicker altho never as fast as any 4-cyl ive owned as some of them literally fired up the second the key moved.
It never feels like it wont start, just that getting it going is a harder task than with a 4-cyl.
3 cyl engines - why do they start slower? - L'escargot
I know that when starting in the current cold conditions first thing in the morning
my Charade turns over slower the first time .......

Perhaps it's got a high(er) viscosity oil.
3 cyl engines - why do they start slower? - Victorbox
Our 3 cylinder Corsa starts as fast as any other car I drive..... even with a heavier (relatively) flywheel to turn over.
3 cyl engines - why do they start slower? - mattbod
I started a thread a few months ago called three cylinder engines which is packed full of good quality explanation from the guys and gals on here. Run a search for it as I am too lazy to post a link. It is called three cylinder engines and your question is answered there for sure. (select up to a year on forum search)

Edited by mattbod on 04/01/2009 at 14:55

3 cyl engines - why do they start slower? - Pugugly
There you are - all together now - funnily enough the OP was the second poster in this thread asking the very same question !
Just a quick note on applications - the best I think has been the Suzuki Cappucino - cracking car if you can fit in it.

On the durability which was mentioned some way up the thread, my mum had from new in 1986 a Daihatsu Domino ( anyone remember them? ) which was run up to 120k doing virtually all short runs. Now that was an early 3 cyl model.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the japanese making their 3cyl engines differently to current european examples as they seem to last alot longer.
I guess although must be same basic design. The Toyota triple is made in Poland I believe but won best sub 1 litre engine in the world engine awards last year. Needs some welly but can be made to go very well if you are brutal. Don;t know what such driving does for the famed economy and CO2 figures though!
I suspect the real problem is why a certain design is signed off. I often suspect that cars are only expected to last the warranty period, atleast many are. From a business sense I guess once your liability is over for the product, why bother.
Some companies maybe take a different view though.
I will just go to a decent indy now my warranty is up. I have a Skoda Euro 3 130 TDI PD: feels like a solid little car and I understand that luckily this engine is bombproof if well maintained (using correct oil). Can't think of anything that suits my needs better so it's staying for the forseeable...

Edited by mattbod on 04/01/2009 at 18:44

3 cyl engines - why do they start slower? - DirtyDieselDogg

Having been given a 1400 cc 3 pot 90 BHP Fabia as a courtsey car, for 3 days, and considerable driving, a mix of town and country roads.

Very characterful, if a trifle easy to stall in 2nd

Revs very well, with racous enthusiam.

goes like stink, and still only 3500 miles on

definately suitable for motorway work, though the NVH could be an issue over longer journeys

Auto start stop, worked 100%, engine spun over and started as fast as I dipped the clutch, even from virtually cold.

marcus

3 cyl engines - why do they start slower? - Leif

Useful feedback but I've always been puzzled when people say "suitable for motorway work". I suppose an old Morris Minor might be pushing it but almost any modern car will happily pootle along on our motorways, assuming you can even get up to the speed limit due to traffic.

3 cyl engines - why do they start slower? - DirtyDieselDogg

Ok

Instead I shall express it thus:

"Will easily exceed an indicated 80mph without any particular fuss or undue sensation"

= suitable for Motorway journeys

OK actually cough cough, suitable for autobann journeys