astra diesel - pete t
Been driving a company supplied astra diesel van for a couple of weeks now. Interesting, as i haven't really driven diesels before. Couple of things spring to mind though.
First an easy one; do diesels still have glow plug lights? i thought this van did (an orange outline of a car with a spanner through it, comes on with the ignition then goes out after a few seconds) but my dad (font of all wisdom) reckons they don't have them anymore. If this light isn't glow plug related, anybody know what it is, 'cos now it doesn't go out until the engine is running (helpfully there is no handbook supplied with the van)
More generally, quite like driving it. Love the torque available from low down. Don't like the way you can floor it and have nothing happen. Been caught out by that at a couple of junctions. The biggest thing is that there seems to be rather a lot of flywheel effect - the engine just doesn't lose revs quickly at all. Because of this (i think because of this, i've never had problems with any other car) i just can't make a nice gearchange, and miss useful engine braking. Any thoughts?
Apart from that, i think i could be tempted into running a diesel as my own car. How easy are they to service etc. I do all my own work, but frankly haven't been sufficiently interested in diesels to pay any attention to them. Not even sure i know how the things work. But i do like the idea of better economy and engines good for 250000 miles plus.
astra diesel - Vansboy
You're really driving an estate car without windows, hence the most refined car derived van you can buy!
Glo light is there, but goes out quick & won't come on again until engine is very cold.
Assuming the van is M plate or newer it will be turbo,so let it idle for a minute or so before turning engine off, to maintain lubrication to the turbo.Very important after a fast drive!
You will get used to the turbo lag you describe, & Vauxhalls sometimes notchy gear change.
If it is M-R reg, don't be surprised at head gaskets blowing at 60-70,000 miles,costly to sort on diesels. If it's current shape & a 2ltr LS,you won't want to give it back!!
Mark
astra diesel - Dynamic Dave
a car with a spanner through it, comes on with the ignition
then goes out after a few seconds

It's the maintenance light to inform that a service is due. The clue is the spanner!!