S-type - good deal? - duncansand
I'm toying with a very late S-type diesel. The car I've seen is in sport guise, no chrome, very smart dark colour an cream leather inside - lovely! It's only 9 months old, about 13,000 miles, cost new about 30k. Now going for under 20k, it seems the XF has hit residuals of the S-type. All the reviews say the diesel S-type was a great car, the only thing holding it back was the styling. In sport trim I find it quite appealing. This car is basically very similar to a new XF, with is 34k. It seems a lot of car for the money - hardly run in and 14k less than what I would need to pay for the equivalent new.

Now, obviously this car is a previous model, so will date. The question is, has it already taken most of the hit for this and am I picking up a great car very cheaply because it isn't trendy, or would I be in for a shock when its value drops like a stone??
S-type - good deal? - Brian Tryzers
Others here are more expert than me. I'd say assume its value will drop a long way - as is likely to happen to all large, relatively fuel-hungry cars as fuel prices increase - and work out
whether you're likely to keep it long enough for that not to matter too much. My not-much-better-than-guess is that it might drop to £10,000 in the next two years, after which it might take another four to drop to £5,000.

If I'm anywhere near right, you take the long term view and you can live with the styling (and I suppose someone has to like it!) the back seat and the boot, you have six years of happy wafting for about the same cost of ownership as a new Focus over the same period. On the other hand, if you get tired after a year of people laughing and pointing at the toilet-seat grille and the trainers-with-tweeds Sport kit, it'll have been an expensive experiment.

Hope that's some help. My analyst says I still have some work to do on my S-type complex.

};---)

P.S. I'm learning to like the XF - saw one the other day in pseudo-Racing Green with cream upholstery that looked rather fetching. Still have a problem, though, with the sideways-leaping cat on the boot: surely the cats ought to be on the wings, facing forwards, in place of those silly shark slits!
S-type - good deal? - tr7v8
Owned an S-Type for 18months now, still love it to bits & everyone who rides in it likes it even the owners of inferior German makes. Also gets admiring glances from people who wouldn't look twice at other cars. Never ever had anyone criticise the appearance but I've had a few people think it's Ford based. The engine is generic PSA/Ford used in Land Rovers for one. But these are probably the same stupid people who call X-Types Mondeos but hey don't let the facts get in the way.
Mines a diesel SE 54 plate, paid 20K with 43K miles at a Jaguar dealers, now has 80K miles & is probably worth 14K or so. Service from Jaguar dealer has been fantastic & is probably why they thrash all the other makes in satisfaction surveys, even in the USA where people are very picky.
Only issue has been a heater valve which failed, leaving the interior in full sauna mode, fixed in 90 mins under warranty.
The boot is OK, it could be slightly deeper, but the seats fold in all except the R & I find that gives me the margin I need. The rear space has had no complaints despite having 6 footers in the back, although the middle seat is poor. Would I buy another, yes definitely, although the mileage I do kills car value very quickly. I'm even considering an XF when I can find an early leggy one.
S-type - good deal? - Falkirk Bairn
£30K to £20K in 9mths - might continue at this rate.

If you want an S type why not buy a 3 yr old low mileage car and then the price cannot drop that far or that fast.

On the otherhand buy the £20K S-type and hold on to it for 10 yrs - whether it is a slow depreciator or a fast depreciator then it does not matter - the car will be worth £2K either way.
S-type - good deal? - ForumNeedsModerating
Mines a diesel SE 54 plate, paid 20K with 43K miles at a Jaguar dealers, now has 80K miles & is probably worth 14K

Glass's value 'excellent' @ £10K, 'average' @£9K & 'below ave' £8K - all SE auto @80K miles, P/EX.

So, OP £20K still has a height to fall from - judging from the above.

S-type - good deal? - rtj70
The old S-Type (even the Lincoln based version) was VERY nice and Jag looking. But the new XF will have had an impact on resale value surely. I've seen lots of XF cars and if I could afford one I would have one before the obvious altertatives.... but not the S-Type nor the Mondeo based X-Type.

And don't call us stupid for knowing the X-Type underneath shares a lot with the previous Mondeo. That is fact. They didn't want of FWD Jag so went 4wd to begin but it is Mondeo underneath.

Now the new XF is class and I want one.

Edited by rtj70 on 16/06/2008 at 01:18

S-type - good deal? - Collos25
If TR7V8 thinks his car is worth £14K he is in for a rude shock if he tries to sell it.
If TR7V8 thinks his car is worth £14K he is in for a rude shock
if he tries to sell it.

That's what cars of my spec are being advertised for, privately. Are they selling I don't know, is anything at the moment? The dealer was going to value it at the last vist against an XF but didn't.

Edited by Webmaster on 16/06/2008 at 11:25

And don't call us stupid for knowing the X-Type underneath shares a lot with the
previous Mondeo. That is fact. They didn't want of FWD Jag so went 4wd to
begin but it is Mondeo underneath.

The X Type shares around 20-30% with Mondeo & most of that is small items, switches & other areas you don't see. The suspension for instance looks similar but Mondeo is single tube shocks, X is twin. Oh & this came from an X-Type development engineer on another forum, but as I said before don't let the facts get in the way!

The VAG group shares a huge amount more between ranges.

Edited by tr7v8 on 16/06/2008 at 09:02

An aquaintance of mine who sells nothing but Jags,Mercs and Beemers upto 4 years old normally sells 3 or 4 a week has not sold one in 2 weeks upto last night,his answer is block the lot take the loss and start selling things under 1400cc they are the only thing in the second hand car market that shows any sign of movement even car dealers have to pay the mortgage.
Yup that's what I meant about what is selling!
Over on Pistonheads some are saying sales still bouyant others saying it's dead on it's feet.
At the Jaguar dealers a month or so ago, cars were racing out of the showroom as at the Porsche dealers we were at last week ?????
New company cars probably will still sell until purchase managers look at the new lease rates and running costs and then they will down size,its secondhand stuff thats stuck if anybody tells you they are selling three year old executive cars in quantity I would find it hard to believe .