Toyota or Mazda - Ben 10
I like the current models of both companies and would like to gauge opinion as to which company is the better for reliability, customer satisfaction, servicing and resale values. I know there are numerous surveys to read, but I'm interested for comment from existing owners and those that have owned vehicles from both marques and which they prefer bearing in mind the above.
In anticipation of replies, thanks.
Toyota or Mazda - Brian Tryzers
As a buyer, I was more impressed by my local Toyota shops than the Mazda ones - two long, unaccompanied demos in Versos against one short one in a 5, for half of which the salesman insisted on driving.
Ultimately, though, we bought a Verso because the car suited us better. I doubt there's much to choose between Toyota and Mazda on any of the criteria you mention - the best Toyota dealers are probably better than the worst Mazda, and vice-versa. Both are close to the top of the reliability tree, so I suggest you simply take a good look at the cars and choose the one that suits you best.
Toyota or Mazda - DP
Had a wonderful experience with our MX-5 from the browsing and negotiation through to the collection, and subsequent service and support. At no time were we made to feel like anything other than a valued customer, and the little touches they added were just the icing on the cake. Had the car for a morning, unaccompanied, very polite and honest negotiation, and when we collected the car (a 1.5yr old used example from the forecourt) they'd put in the showroom so we could drive it out. They'd also put our names up on the visitor board in reception on the day we collected it. Courtesy cars were always available, and the service manager's business card was stapled to the service invoice. Courtesy calls a week after collection and a few days after the service. Just brilliant.

Can't comment on Toyota, sorry. A friend has a Verso and swears by it, and the local dealer, but I don't have examples of why.

cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 13/06/2008 at 12:21

Toyota or Mazda - madf
My experience of Toyota service: exemplary.
Better than any other I have ever received in 40 years.
Says it all.
Toyota or Mazda - Alby Back
Not sure if service is totally brand specific. I have at one time or another owned or had long term use of examples of most mainstream car brands. Some dealerships were of course more satisfactory than others but I think the level of customer service is more down to the management culture of the individual dealerships than a reflection of the brands they happen to sell.

For example I can think of a number of instances where I have had poor service from one dealer and exemplary service from another vendor of the same brand.

Good and bad managers turn up in all businesses. We just tend to remember bad experiences longer than good ones and feel more inclined to mention them perhaps.
Toyota or Mazda - Clk Sec
I bought my Mazda6 in 2002 and it?s been a superb car. The dealership is first rate, servicing is relatively cheap and the car itself is just so reliable.

I?d like to buy another, but will need to look closely at the increased dimensions of the latest model.

Can?t help you with Toyota, I?m afraid.

Clk Sec
Toyota or Mazda - Snakey
My experiences with Toyota really put me off. I was convinced by their reputation and bought and an Avensis.

This then spent 17 days in their garage with a list of faults (on a 14k mile car) and the dealers were apathetic at best. Eventually after two new headlights, a new clutch, a new windscreen, various other niggles I gave up and got rid of it (still with a listof faults!)

I received much better service at the local Ford dealer. Never had a Mazda but I would probably avoid Toyota in the future.
Toyota or Mazda - apm
Totally agree with WillDB. Dealers vary in quality- my best dealer experience has been with SEAT, although another SEAT dealer I went to was the worst. Have owned 3 Mazdas (2 x MX5 and a 323), loved all of them & the dealers I encountered were very good. Have a Toyota (Avensis) currently & love that too; not been to a dealer yet so can't comment. Maybe best thing is to visit local dealers for both & see which you like, then weigh up against which car you like? Also maybe suggest thinking about Honda, if you like Japanese?

BW,

Alex.
Toyota or Mazda - DP
I also agree now I think about it. I currently use a fantastic Renault dealer which I'm told is rarer than rocking horse droppings.

I think the Japanese manufacturers are a little stricter on dealer standards in fairness. You are more likely to get a good Honda/Mazda/Toyota/Nissan dealer than you are any other marque, but it's true they are all individual businesses.

cheers
DP
Toyota or Mazda - Kevin Phillips-Bong!
My experience of Toyota - execrable, we've got your money so we don't care, wouldn't go near them again with the longest of barge poles.
Toyota or Mazda - I'm a Pane
I have a Mazda, my wife a Toyota and my dad has a Mazda too. Very little in it in terms of quality/reliability and overall driving experience-both are excellent. As others have said, you take pot luck with the dealers, but since there are far fewer Mazda and Toyota dealers about (than say Ford or VW) the ones that do exist do seem to put a bit more effort in. Try both and it will probably come down to something silly like whether your wife gets a bunch of flowers from the dealer when you pick the car up!
Toyota or Mazda - wmo
Drove a Toyota Carina for 7 years and a Mazda 6 for 5 years. I would say their was nothing between them regarding service from the dealer. The Mazda though has been much more reliable than the Toyota.
Toyota or Mazda - Screwloose

Anyone who thinks that Mazda and their dealers have a shred of hounour left should read these:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=57098&...f

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=62...7
Toyota or Mazda - Ben10
Looks like from your post there are problems with reliability on the Mazda diesels. How does the Toyota diesels compare with reliability, or are they from the same stable?
Toyota or Mazda - Avant
You've got some very fair answers here, scribe. Every make has a few badly-made cars, and every one has good and bad dealers. All I can suggest is:

- test drive the model of each that you're looking for and see which you prefer
- if you like both, see if you can get a better deal on one than the other
- try if possible to use a family-owned dealer, rather than one owned by a chain.

If you're anywhere near Berkshire, Octagon Toyota are excellent. Elder daughter is about to get her third 1.3 Yaris from them - for £20 less a month than she's paying for the current one.
Toyota or Mazda - krs one
No experience myself but my dad has become a fan of Toyota after many years of French car ownership.
He started with a Rav 4, then a Corrola and now he's got a Prius.
He's very happy with the dealer(Derby) and the cars have had virtually no problems.
He's happy with the economy of the Prius too, getting around 60mpg.
Toyota or Mazda - Avant
That's interesting, krs: I decided against a Prius last year because I do a lot of motorway miles, where the Prius (excellent in town) isn't at its best. What sort of driving does your dad (krs zero?) do to get 60 mpg?

I believe that Toyota may bring in a bigger, more powerful successor to the Prius next year, which could be worth looking at. It just needs a petrol engine which is more relaxed at motorway speeds.
Toyota or Mazda - GroovyMucker
It's not in your criteria, and you may not be bothered, but generally Toyotas have better Euro NCAP ratings than the equivalent Mazdas.
Toyota or Mazda - Burnout2
I've been converted from long-standing Honda ownership since they stopped being interested in making peformance cars, and am very pleased with my faultless Mazda 3 MPS after 26,000 miles in less than 1.5 years.

Compared with Toyota, I feel Mazda are well ahead in terms of style and design (the Auris and Avensis still have that "white goods on wheels" feel), but every indicator suggests there's little to choose between them in terms of the ownership experience.
Toyota or Mazda - Clk Sec
I guess there's not much in it.

tinyurl.com/4eqxam

Clk Sec
Toyota or Mazda - Pendlebury
Much the same as krs above - maybe because we have the same dealer.
Toyota dealers seem to be controlled more by central hq (IMO) than other dealers so they can try and assure the quality of service.
e.g free bottle of wine and £10 petrol voucher if you suffer a recall (which in itself is not good for reliability) but they do try in my experience.
I have studied Japanese companies in detail and their customer approach differs massively from western companies.
For what it is worth Toyota were motoring brand of the year last year in the Which surveys (lot's of referencing Which at the moment - sorry) and Mazda were top spot this year. In summary I would say - reliability - even, Service - even, residual values - Toyota. But of course buying and running a car is a wonderfully variable thing.

Edited by Pendlebury on 21/06/2008 at 11:19