4k to spend on weekend/fun car - dave1234
Looking at spending around 4k on a car. It will only be used at weekends and will probably only do about 3,000 miles per year.
Reliability is important and i dont want to be speing a fortune on tax (they have enough of my money as it is!) so maybe a pre 03/01 model. Not to bothered about fuel comsumption due to low mileage but around 30 mpg would be good.
Any recommendations or cars to avoid would be very welcome.

Thanks
Dave
4k to spend on weekend/fun car - Collos25
healy sprite or midget along with spitfire tax exempt readily available spares and reasonable reliable if you get a good one.Citroen 2cv is another option.
4k to spend on weekend/fun car - Mapmaker
Hang on, what do you want from it? Have a look on PU's thread of fun car for 5k posted yesterday.

30mpg is fairly economical - it's not "fun" territory.
4k to spend on weekend/fun car - Blue {P}
Hang on what do you want from it? Have a look on PU's thread of
fun car for 5k posted yesterday.
30mpg is fairly economical - it's not "fun" territory.

Beg to differ, my MG is one of the most fun cars I've ever owned and despite absolutely caning it most of the time I never see less than 30mpg, driven sensibly it will easily acheive 35mpg.

Fun doesn't just have to be raw power, pin sharp handling allows my MG to outpace many more powerful vehicles as soon as we get to a bend. :-)
4k to spend on weekend/fun car - bbroomlea{P}
A vote for the MG!

How about the MGF Trophy 160. I doubt you will loose too much on it as they are the pick of the MGF range and a limited run. Normally these are enthusiasts cars rather than a commuter car and should be easy to get a well maintained and low mileage one.

0-60 in less than 7 seconds so you have performance, will fall into pre silly tax if you get an early one on a Y plate. The only colours to choose from are Blue/Red/Yellow and Anthracite. Red and Anthracite are very rare though if colour is a preference.

4k to spend on weekend/fun car - DP
Ubiquitous, but for a good reason. MX-5

Easily meets your reliability and 30 mpg criteria, and huge fun. Will always sell on easily if you get bored with it as well.

Cheers
DP
4k to spend on weekend/fun car - skorpio
Don't laugh, but what about a second-hand kit car? Westfields are fun. Nice little 2 seater Lotus 7 look alike using Ford or Vauxhall running gear. Light, fairly economical with good useable performance without supercar type issues. Hopeless in the wet mind you.
4k to spend on weekend/fun car - CJay{P}
How about a Toyota Supra?
4k to spend on weekend/fun car - krs one
Depends if you want a drivers car or not, but having hired a Citroen Pluriel last year I would recommend one of these.

The way that the roof section and all side windows lowered out of site made it feel like a full convertible.

It's like a modern 2cv.
4k to spend on weekend/fun car - apm
I'd love to be in this position!!

Classics might make sense- older you'd get a good midget or ok MGB, many others to choose from. Or how about a 1980's Capri 2.8i?

More modern, I'd endorse the MX5, harder to have more fun for the cost.

Really depends what sort of thing you like.

Whichever you choose, good luck & enjoy!

BW,

Alex.
4k to spend on weekend/fun car - nottyhorror
Have had two mx5s both 1.6s both brilliant fun ultra reliable ,both imports look in paper £2500 will buy 1992 k plate 60k in fantastic nick road tax wont be expensive as pre March 2001 30mpg is no problem and insurance with no no claims was £300 fully comp including to work.Have been down classic car road and if you enjoy repairing them all well and good buy a mazda and all youll be doing is polishing it. Cant praise them enough buy import that has not been in country long and youll have years of trouble free motoring and no rust. Have had auto mx5 and that was brilliant on a lazy weekend drive i sold my Mx5 (EUNOS) 1990 H plate£2000 and now have Bmw Z3 1.9 auto £6000 not one bit more fun build quality no better should have listened to wife and saved £4000 cheers PAUL