2001 1.8 TDd Ford Oil Query - Pootle
Hi All,

Just a really quick question. My wife's Focus 1.8 TDdi manual covers petrol Focuses in addition to the diesel. The manual seems to recommend the same oil for both engine types irrespective of them being diesel or petrol and recommends SAE 5w 30.

I always thought that petrol and diesels needed different types of oil? Is this just a Ford thing?

Many thanks

Pootle
2001 1.8 TDd Ford Oil Query - DP
Most modern oils are suitable for both petrol and diesel engines.

As far as I understand it, the only real difference between petrol and diesel specific engine oils was the detergent content. Over the past decade or so, as the oils themselves have improved (and the diesel engine has transformed almost beyond recognition), the need for this detergent has diminished, and so has the need for two types.

My old Mondeo TD ran happily on the same Ford 'Formula-E' 5W/30 as SWMBO's (then) Fiesta Zetec.

Cheers
DP
2001 1.8 TDd Ford Oil Query - bathtub tom
You're strongly advised to use the recommended oil in this engine, not just the viscosity, the full spec. I believe it's something to do with the 'tight' tolerances on the valve guides.

Unfortunately, the correct oil won't prevent the injector pump failing prematurely.
2001 1.8 TDd Ford Oil Query - DP
Unfortunately the correct oil won't prevent the injector pump failing prematurely.

We ran a fleet of 80 or so up to between 80,000 and 120,000 miles and can categorically state that not one suffered injection pump failure.

The only common fault was the failure of the pedal sensor for the drive by wire throttle. Mine did 100k with only an aux belt tensioner failure.

Cheers
DP