99 2.0 HDi clutch release bearing - book time for - XantKing
Got the symptons of a kaputt clutch release bearing on my T-reg 110 HDi Xantia. Thing is, it's done 165k miles and will very soon need a service, 4 new tyres and the invariable few wee extras they find whenever it's in for an oil change.

Car is probably only worth a few hundred quid, so I guess I'm looking for an idea of what the clutch release bearing job might cost - I gather it's a cheap part, but might involve removal of the gearbox, so will rack up the labour costs, in which case I'll seriously consider getting rid of it, given the other work it'll need doing soon.

Anyone any idea?

I suspect the car is still on its original clutch, would it be more economical in the long run to get the whole thing replaced?

I hate the thought of taking it off the road for one costly fault when the rest of it still works relatively OK, but the silly thing cost me 220 quid for a new starter last week after a lengthy trouble-free period, and I'm fearful that I'm due another catalogue of costly failures - I'd rather just take my chances with a spell of bangernomics!
99 2.0 HDi clutch release bearing - book time for - Collos25
£220 for a starter is it gold plated,If it cost you £500 for a new clutch,tyres and your service you will end up with a reasonable car that will last indefinintly,how much will it cost to replace it and be sure that what you are buying will not need expensive repairs in the near future.
99 2.0 HDi clutch release bearing - book time for - RichardW
Book time for a clutch change on a HDi 110 Xantia is 8 hours, so don't expect it to be cheap! This uses a pull clutch like the old TDs, but with hydraulic actuation, so the release bearing has to be clipped into the pressure plate after the gearbox is bolted back up. If the snap ring lets go, the release bearing parts company with the pressure plate, and hey presto no clutch action....
99 2.0 HDi clutch release bearing - book time for - XantKing
That's exactly my dilemma, do I spend a load of money getting it fixed, far in excess of what it's worth, or do I take a gamble and spend it on another car, which would be an unknown quantity that might turn out to need the same again spent on it too?

Is it a case of better the devil you know?

99 2.0 HDi clutch release bearing - book time for - nick
If you have the space, buy another identical car and break the one you have. You'll get a few quid for the shell and the bits you don't want and have most of the spares you may need in years to come.
If not, get shot while it's running ok and get something else. Loads of good cars out there for a few hundred. Be prepared to bin them at the first sign of something expensive and get another.

Edited by nick on 10/06/2008 at 10:03

99 2.0 HDi clutch release bearing - book time for - nick74
I had a new clutch (inc release bearing) fitted for £311 a couple of months back. This is on a Xsara HDi 110 which has a slightly different gearbox to the Xantia HDi 110, but I can't see it being much different on the Xantia as far as cost goes.
99 2.0 HDi clutch release bearing - book time for - RichardW
"This is on a Xsara HDi 110 which has a slightly different gearbox to the Xantia HDi 110, but I can't see it being much different on the Xantia as far as cost goes."

You ever looked under the bonnet of Xantia??? There's a multitude of hydraulic piping in the way that needs to be moved back, the LHM tank and support needs to come out etc etc. The ML5 box fitted to the Xantia is heavier and more awkward too - and you need a special tool (or make one) to engage the release bearing.

£311 is pretty cheap - an OE clutch is >£100 even from the likes of GSF. Done properly I wouldn't expect any change out of £500 for a Xantia - not looking forward to either paying for or doing myself when the time comes on mine!
99 2.0 HDi clutch release bearing - book time for - nick74
You ever looked under the bonnet of Xantia???

Yes I owned one for 7 years. The same place that did the clutch on my Xsara recently also did one on the Xantia (albeit a 1.9TD) in around 2004 using a Valeo clutch kit for £235.

I reckon the additional complication of the hydraulics on the Xantia is offset by the lack of room to work on a Xsara. There's about as much to move out of the way to get at the gearbox.
99 2.0 HDi clutch release bearing - book time for - Collos25
I did my stepmothers 1.8 xantias clutch sometime back no more difficult than most front wheel drive cars.