Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - Corporal_Jones
Hi

I've got a newish job and have opted out, after finally doing the math it looks like I can spend about 12k (maybe slightly more if pushed) on a car, I've looked at a lot of different models but the Accord Exec diesel 2006 looks like the best bet in terms of value for money and the kit you can get (very important!), also the reliability is good!, I was just wondering is there anything else that I may not be considering that may be better for that sort of money?, I've had a look at cars like the Laguna but its the reliability that makes me stay away, other then that I cant think of any more cars, ideas will be appreciated as I'll probably buy one this week, want to make sure I make the best decision! :)

The company has a 4 - 5 year old car rule so I really cannot get anything pre 2006.

Thanks for reading, these forums are really useful!
Ok I think i've decided to go for the Accord as there are no obvious competitors, now all I have to do is buy it!

I've looked around at Autotrader and Honda used and have seen one for £10k which is really good value however its done 72k miles, i'll be using it for 3 years so by then it will have 150k miles, so I was wondering, is it worth trying to save 2 - 3 grand now or shall I just go for one with low mileage.

Thanks Again! :)
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - Dipstick
For that money you can get a Lexus LS430 which will frankly knock spots off the Accord, and you won't need to worry a jot about it doing 150k.

Thanks for the reply, however a 2006 lexus 430 is way out of my budget, I cant buy a car which is too old because the company has a "max 4 year old" car rule which I have to follow since i'm being paid a monthly allowance.

Just for info, the LS430 changed model in 2005. You can easily get an 2004 one for that money, which is inside your 4 year rule (and you might scrape an 05 in fact). Don't necessarily chuck the idea - it's a 60k new car compared to a 25k new car, and you CAN feel the difference.

However, an Accord is a good choice, so if you do that, then enjoy it! (We nearly bought one when we had a Lexus LS430).
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - Armitage Shanks {p}
A 4 year old rule should take you back to something 2004, unless my maths is as bad as my spelling!
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - Halmer
There are obvious competitors such as the Avensis and Passat diesel versions or even a Mondeo.

I gather that there have been some reported issues with this engine - no doubt you'll be able to research this on sites such as this. Turbos I recall.

No doubt the Accord is a nice car with a good reliability record. HJ would tell you not to be put off by the high mileage as long as it's been serviced properly and you get it at the right price which you suggest you have.

Good luck!
Thanks Halmer :), I guess I was worried about some parts being worn out other then the engine however I dont have a very good understanding of how cars really work, I only know the basics like ball joint, transmission etc, my sisters worried about the drivers seat being worn out!.
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - Bill Hicks
Dear corporal

I have an '03 Accord and I thought you might find one or two points useful to know before you buy. First thing is that the car doesn't come with a spare wheel, but rather an electric pump that plugs into the cigar lighter, and a tyre-welding soultion. As I drive over 30,000 a year, and didn't find this out from the dealer prior to purcharse, I went on the hunt for a spare and got one with a nearly-new tyre from Ebay. I know the cost of a new alloy and wheel to match from a Honda dealer would be expensive but I would definitely ask for one if you're negotiating a deal. I wouldn't want to be stuck on the M5 with a flat and no spare. Second thing is that the car has been very reliable. I spent ages searching this site and looking at any other data I could lay my hands on before settling on the Accord. I don't regret it but think I would've had a closer look at the Mazda6, which is a lot cheaper and probably just as good. Hope this helps.
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - Halmer
this might inform cj.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=665&
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - Pugugly
Spoil yourself.

2005 05 Reg JAGUAR X-TYPE 2.0 litre SE

Price:
£12,000

Features:

* 30,730 miles
* Manual
* BLUE
* Diesel
* Estate
* 2000 cc

Full Description:
5 Doors, Manual, ESTATE, Diesel, 30,730 miles, Blue, anti-lock brakes (ABS), all-round airbags, alloy wheels, CD, CLC, electric windows, heated seats, leather interior, power assisted steering (PAS), parking control, remote central locking, traction control. Another 23 x JAGUAR X-TYPES available in stock, click www.fow.co.uk for over 1500 vehicles. Licensed credit brokers. Visit fow.co.uk for this months special offers. £12,000 For more vehicles which meet your search click dealer website link
Funny old game this car thing. Spoil yourself, says Pug, he does. And then lists a Jag hurrah two litre yuk manual yuk diesel yuk estate yuk X-type yuk.

You'd be better off with a wheelbarrow and an oar, in my opinion :)

Yeah must admit, not a big fan of the X type, would prefer a IS220D compared to an X type, the thing is you get so much more for your money with the Accord compared to say the Lexus
If you do go for an Accord, and you like your toys, get one with ADAS on it. Wonderful bit of kit.

It's a combined adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist gadget which means it senses the distance of the car in front and keeps you clear of it automatically, and it sees the white lines in the road and steers you along, kind of.

Very relaxing indeed if you like that sort of thing. I loved it but I know there are those here who would rather gnaw off their own left leg than have such a thing, so it takes all sorts.

Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - Mapmaker
You could always buy yourself a private plate, too, to stretch the life of the car...
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - apm
Avensis is worth a look. In top spec, very luxurious and good value. Feels a little bit like a junior Lexus...

General advice- draw up a shortlist & go and get some long test drives in. Only way to decide which you like enough to part with cash for.

HTH,

Alex.
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - movilogo
Why not a Mercedes C class? 2004 models should be within your budget.
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - rtj70
I think people are missing the point on the 4 year old rule. Yes you could get a 2004 year car and be okay... and then in a few months it's more than 4 years old and so you have to trade it in for another car making a loss.

I take it the OP is trying to get a car that will still be less than four years old in a couple of ears, hence a 2006 model.

I've got a Mazda6 2.0d Sport which was brand new last October (the previous model). I still really like it. I now know some have had issues with the diesel engines but mines a company one so no worries there... you might get one for a lot less than the Accord but as a petrol... diesel advantage might not be there fore much longer anyway.

... I'm starting to redo my calculations and the petrol Mazda6 might have been the better option in the medium to long term...
Just drove the Accord Exec for the first time today, brilliant car, I've made my mind up now, i even saw a private one but am a bit wary of getting scammed, trying to buy through dealerships and still get a good deal.

Thanks for the replies everyone, my little adventure is nearly over, cant wait until I have one on my driveway!
do you think I should pay £13500, its a 2006 2.2 diesel exec from a dealer, its only done 15k miles, its quite a bit more then I wanted to pay but the mileage is really low, I'm going to use it for 3 years so maybe its worth spending a bit more, I saw 2 other traders where I can save about a grand but their not honda dealers and also mileage was in the 30's, not sure what to do, help!
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - pd
If you are not that worried about rear space (where they are weak) a Volvo S60 D5 SE will be both cheaper and vastly better IMO in every respect than the Accord. Will use less fuel as well.
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - prm72
If you are not that worried about rear space (where they are weak) a Volvo
S60 D5 SE will be both cheaper and vastly better IMO in every respect than
the Accord. Will use less fuel as well.
Here here on that point.
S60 will be cheaper to run?, its got a 2.4diesel engine (compared to a 2.2 on the accord), insurance must be a killer as well for me, i'll get a quote
I've had my D5 for 3 months now, and i love driving it, got all the toys and getting 45mpg from an auto is great.
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - DP
If comfort is a priority, you really can't ignore the S60. Some of the best seats in any car at any price, well equipped, and beautifully built.

As long as you don't want to hurl it about down B-roads, it's a great choice.

Cheers
DP
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - 007
Don't worry about mileage....www.hondabeat.com/highmiles.php
my only problem with the volvo is the design, both inside and outside, just looks dated to me personally, not to my taste at all, i've actually got to the point of considering a 3 series!?
my only problem with the volvo is the design both inside and outside just looks
dated to me personally not to my taste at all i've actually got to the
point of considering a 3 series!?

>>
What!!!!!!!!! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess, best looking car on the road in my price range that is.
Most luxurious and comfortable car for 10 - 12k? - Gromit {P}
Do your calculations on running costs and taxes before opting for diesel.

At lower annual mileage, you won't necessarily save by running on diesel. A used petrol car will cost less and you should expect to exceed 15-20,000 miles a year before the premium for diesel makes sense. Is there likely to be a difference in road tax, congestion charge, pollution tax (or whatever else they choose to brand it) between the petrol and diesel alternatives over the years you run the car?

(As an example, many Irish cab drivers prefer the 1.4 petrol Skoda Octavia and 1.6 petrol Toyota Avensis to the 'obvious' diesel alternatives because their fuel efficiency is surprisingly good.)
yep I did do the calculations, the emissions for the accord petrol are fairly high, and I'm expecting to do about 25k miles, maybe even a bit higher, + resale values at higher mileages for diesel engines should be better as well I imagine.

PS been driving a smart car for 6 months, the Accord feels massive, going to have to relearn driving :(