01 1.9 Thumping noise - Red Rose
My Passatt TDI(100bhp) Drives extremely well. For the past two years I have had a loud and regular 'wump' comming from the engine it is only apparent when the engine is at idle. If I remove a vacum pipe (situated drivers side at the front) the noise stops. The noise is not present until the car has been running for some time and not at all before the engine has warmed up fully. When I first noticed it I spoke to a mechanic who said it was a valve of some sort and not to worry, he also stated that he had replaced a 'valve' on another VW only for the noise to return six months later. AS a result Ihave been using the car happily. It has been regularly serviced etc. I now want to replace the car but assume a loud 'wumping' would not help a sale. The noise seems louder on the passenger side. It is quite loud although only barely noticable from inside. Any ideas what can be causing it and how to remedy the fault will be appreciated. R/Rose.
01 1.9 Thumping noise - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I'd the same model for 6 1/2 years and 110k. With the bonnet lifted there was a regular 'woo -woo' beat at idle. But acceptable considering all the ancillary belts driving alternator, air con compressor , power steering pump etc. Not noticeable from the inside.
Thumping- no.

thanks for your comments. Mine is a definate thumping sound.
This noise turned out to be a small electrical switch situated at the rear of the engine. Apparently this controls the vacum that inturn works/ helps the turbo?? sorry not verty technical but at least its something and all is now well. R/Rose