2002 1.6 Speedo fault - storeys66
I've got a 2002 Focus Zetec with the 1.6 Zetc-SE engine. Over the last few months, the speedo has started randomly drpping to 0mph whilst I'm driving along. At the same time, the lights and stereo also dim down. More recently, the car has started stuttering, almost misfiring, when this happens. If the speedo is at 0mph for a while the odometer also goes blank, leaving a display of "- - - - -". On the plus side, this means the miles covered whilst it is dead do not get added... (it's currently got just under 62,000 miles).

.*********

Does anyone know if this fault is purly the speed sensor, or can it be something else too? The driver's side electric window has just died as well... Great!

Thanks.

Edited by Webmaster on 05/06/2008 at 12:14

2002 1.6 Speedo fault - nick1975
This is almost certainly the speed sensor.

I had exactly the same trouble, also on an 1.6 2002 Zetec Focus. Cost about £100 at a Ford dealer.

Loads of postings on here and elsewhere about how to DIY if you are handy with the spanners. Part is about £35 i think if you can DIY.

I would advise you get it done ASAP, you dont want to loose power on a busy, fast road....

BTW I had it done about 6 months ago and its been totally fine since then.

Edited by nick1975 on 05/06/2008 at 14:34

2002 1.6 Speedo fault - mikej
Yep - classic failing vss symptoms.

I replaced mine over 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

My tips on DIYing it are here : www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=15028&...3

As you can see it's not for the faint hearted, so my advice would be to only attempt it if you're happy doing fairly physical jobs whilst under the car.

I've also read reports of sensors sometimes snapping in half, making removal even more difficult.

2002 1.6 Speedo fault - MoFoFunk
Hi,

I realise this is an old thread, but I still need a bit of advice on the matter. My speedo stopped working about 5 months ago and I had just been putting up with it. But its getting to the point where i am sick of guessing my speed when there is a copper with a speed gun on me, its not a great situation to be in. My problem is, the speedo constantly reads zero and has done ever since it stopped working, I haven?t noticed any power loss like mentioned in previous posts on the subject. But the confusing thing is, the mileage keeps going up as normal!? This leads me to think that the VSS is still working, because if it wasn't where would the information be coming from to clock the miles up? Is there a possibility that it is a another component that has failed? If anyone knows, can you give me a clue?

Thanks in advance

Ash
2002 1.6 Speedo fault - MoFoFunk
Just to add onto my post from before. When I am driving, the speedo needle sits at zero, but 'twitches' constantly while i am moving, but when idling at traffic lights its does not. Also, i have done the diagnostic mode (where you hold the trip reset button in while you start the car) the results i got where;

When it does the sweep of all the needles, the speedo needle goes all the way up, but gets stuck on about 130mph! Gradually after driving for 10 mins or so, it will return to zero and sit there until i do the test again.

It gives a digital read out of the tachometer no problem.
When asked to show digital read out of speedo, it shows "none"

Not sure if this will make diagnosing my problem any easier?

SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/08/2009 at 11:09

2002 1.6 Speedo fault - Bjlc
I have been hving these problems for just over a year during which time my car has been in the garage 6 times without any satisfactory solution however just this week it was in again and was diagnosed as overcharging and had the alternator replaced so I am hoping that this will solve all the problems.
2002 1.6 Speedo fault - willow
The fault you describe is exactly the same as I had on my 2002 1.6 Zetec. Replacing the speed sensor cured the fault...no further problems.
2002 1.6 Speedo fault - jimmyfix

i have had very similar problems with my ford focus 1.4 2002 and tried several things short of and engine drop out and rebuild but then through sheer chance i came across a posting that had a 10p yes a 10p fix, heck by this point i was so frustrated i was ready to try anything and it actually worked!!!!!! all you need is a cable tie, on the top of the engine between spark caps 2 and 3 you have a wire going into the egine block (the cylinder head temp sensor) this often touches the casing and causes shorts and surges in the electrcal system, grab your cable tie and lift it up to the fuel line thats on top of the engine running parralel to the spark plugs and zip it into place, job done!! PS when you 1st start let the car run for 10mins so the car and re-adjust it may gurgle and clocks may jump but if its whats causing your problems within 10 mins its sorted. and all for the cost of a fredo bar ;)