West Yorkshire to Poole, this Sunday - NowWheels
I am travelling from West Yorkshire to Poole this sunday, to arrive shortly after midday to catch a ferry. I don't expect traffic to be too much of a problem, since I'll be leaving home at 5.30am to give me time for a break or two en route and to allow for contingencies ... but I'm looking for advice on the route.

Both TomTom and Google Maps suggest M1-M69-M40-A34-M3-M27-A338, which looks in theory like it's a reasonably direct and fast route. I have checked the Highways agency website for news of roadworks, and the only thing I can find which looks potentially disruptive is the A34 Wolvercote Viaduct Replacement (near Oxford), which I am hoping won't cause me too much trouble at somewhere between 9 and 10am on a sunday morning.

Does anyone know if there are any other problems on this route which would be worth avoiding, particularly on the southern end of it?

West Yorkshire to Poole, this Sunday - oldnotbold
That route should be fine at the S end on a Sun am, though there will be day-tripper traffic by that time if the sun shines.

The A34 is going to be closed at nights later in June, perhaps in time for your return? The diversion will be slow, I suspect. It's on the N Abingdon/S Oxford section
West Yorkshire to Poole, this Sunday - NowWheels
The A34 is going to be closed at nights later in June perhaps in time
for your return? The diversion will be slow I suspect. It's on the N Abingdon/S
Oxford section

Thanks for that warning. My return will probably put me on the A34 be in afternoon/early evening, so I may be clear, but I guess I better check closer to the time (probably late June/early July).

If I do decide to avoid the A34 on return, I wonder whether I'd do better going west to the M5, or east via M3/M25/M1?
West Yorkshire to Poole, this Sunday - oldnotbold
I wouldn't worry at this stage. It's nights only, which means 2200 at the earliest.

More here tinyurl.com/446gt9

West Yorkshire to Poole, this Sunday - Kevin
I was in South Yorks, just North of Sheffield, for a family reunion last weekend. Came back to Basingstoke early Sunday afternoon via M1, M42, M40, A34 and A339.

Traffic was reasonable and there were no hold-ups. The only slow sections were the M1 around Nottingham where it's a 50mph limit and the M42 where there is also a 50mph section. Very easy to make good progress on the M42, M40 and A34.

Journey time was 3.5hrs with a half hour stop at Warwick services for a coffee and potty break.

Kevin...
West Yorkshire to Poole, this Sunday - Soupytwist
There are some roadworks at the start of the M27 heading westbound which will probably hold you up little bit. I drove to Poole and back from Essex last weekend and they were pretty bad on the Friday afternoon but not too bad on the return on Sunday morning.