Florida Car Hire - Vorsprung
I am planning a trip to Florida with my wife and 2 children.

I am trying to work out what type of car to hire. Some Hire firms describe theri models as being equivalent to a UK model such as a Focus or Vectra. However, on my last trip stateside many years ago, I found that soem of these descriptions were exaggerated.

I need something that is Mondeo sized to seat the 4 of us and our luggage in comfort.

Many firms are offering Pontiac G6s, Chevrolet Cobalts, Oldsmobile Aleros. What sort of size are these.

There are also Dodge Chargers on offer - is this the same car as the Dodge Avenger sold in the UK?
Florida Car Hire - barney100
Maybe checking the models on the net would give some useful info.
Florida Car Hire - pinkpanther_75
I recently visited Florida with my family. I originally ordered a Pontiac G6, but on arrival decided I wanted something a little more in keeping with the "good old US of A" and changed to a much more spacious (and thirsty) Chevrolet Trailblazer. The Dodge charger was I believe the next size up from a G6.

I seem to recall there was little difference in rental rates between the G6 and the Trailblazer.
Florida Car Hire - steveo3002
best bet is to go onto the .com version of the car rental sites and check what models they have then google it to get an idea of size

the charger is is a full sized car with a boot

most of the cars above "small" will be mondeo size upwards , its just the more you spend chances are it will get a v6/v8 and more goodies like sat nav built in

and dont book a model in the trust that you will get that one, chances are it will the or similar equivalent, lots of places just have all the same group cars parked in a line and let you pick n choose now

we got a dodge magnum which is the estate version of the charger, i picked it because it was near new and the huge boot suited me
Florida Car Hire - Bill Payer
Just go by the size classification of the car - Intermediate may well be big enough, but Full size is usually hardly any more expensive.

If you're prepared to splash out a little more then an SUV is a good choice in Florida but the 5 seater ones can be bit limited for luggage space, but probably OK if you'll only have luggage in the car for the airport run. The 7/8 seater SUV's tend to have virtually no luggage space if the 3rd row of seats is used.

Don't get too hung up on the exact car - the choice when you get there can be pretty random. Alamo let you pick your own car from those available in the class you've booked, but in practice there often isn't too much choice.

We always book through www.usrentacar.co.uk , but the UK sites of people like Alamo and Dollar are pretty competitive now.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/06/2008 at 21:00

Florida Car Hire - jbif
We always book through www.usrentacar.co.uk,

Seems to a problem with that URL due to the comma " , " being included in the redirected hyperlink .

{Not any more there isn't}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/06/2008 at 21:00

Florida Car Hire - seataltea
Dodge Charger is a budget Chrysler 300.

Like the Chrysler it was cheap, plasticky, gutless, boot was too small, it was badly designed, not enough room in the back and our American friends said that the only people who drove them over there were drug dealers.

Florida Car Hire - peterb
Last time I went to Florida, I had an Accord from Hertz

So far, so mundane. But it had a 3.5 V6 ;-)
Florida Car Hire - Burnout2
We had a Chrysler Sebring (a 4-door saloon) in Florida last month. This was adequately sized for two, but I suspect would be classified as intermediate at best, and I would definitely go for something large for a family of four.

The Chrysler was exactly as expected; rough and gutless engine, which pinked on the cheapo 87 gas it was fed, an autobox which kicked-down like the car had just hit an immodestly sized deer, and steering attached to the front wheels via duct tape. It was quietish and comfy in a straight line though. Not my first choice for doing 941 miles in 8 days!
Florida Car Hire - legacylad
Try a Prius! We recently rented one for a 5day 900+mile trip around California, taking in Yosemite, Highway 1 and north to the Bay area. Lots of room for 4 occupants, plenty of luggage space for us, plus the novelty of a hybrid car. Forget all those big engined motors. Been there, done that. If you are touring and covering a large distance, which is easily done in the States, then even at only $4.20 US gallon, fuel costs will start to add up. And the performance is more than adequate I found, apart from in the Sierra Nevada when with four up it struggled to keep up with the Mustangs....though we nailed 'em on the downhill sections......
Florida Car Hire - pd
The Chryslers are OK if the larger V6 or V8 version with Merc gearboxes. Unfortunately, 90% of the hire ones are the base 2.7 with an ancient 4-speed auto.
Florida Car Hire - helicopter
Try these people - Sunchase , they use Dollar or Alamo and I was recommended to them by Cardew on this website when I went to USA in 2005.

www.kermy101.co.uk/current_florida_rental_rates.htm , speak to Peter for a quote on the luxury class.

A top of the range auto Cadillac is a hoot , It was something like a 5.7 litre V8 engine with all bells and whistles cost us £205 for a week all in , inclusive of ALL insurances, three of us were named drivers.

They give you a voucher which you take with you and we had no trouble at all at Atlanta - I went to the Alamo car park and had a choice of Luxury Motors and chose the Caddy. Fuel is still so cheap in the States compared to UK its unreal although it has gone up about 50 % since we were there..

Go on - you know you want one....