Which car for 2.5k ? - adam f
looking at getting myself a car and i am torn between-

BMW E36 coupe
MK4 golf GTI
Land Rover Freelander 1.8 Hardback 3dr

Bit of a mixed bag, i Know. I know that the Germans may be more reliable and probably not as juicy as the freelander, but really like it for the looks

I have 2.5k

What are your views?

Edited by Pugugly on 31/05/2008 at 12:31

Which car for 2.5k ? - Pugugly
Forget the Landie - they will be total rubbish at that price.

You might get a half decent, unmolested Golf or BMW for the cash though - 'd go for the Beemer if you have funds to maintain, the Golf if you have a half decent indie in the area.
Which car for 2.5k ? - MichaelR
The GTI is a rubbish, overweight, overrated car which I'd walk before I owned. The Freelander is a Freelander which leaves the E36 as the 'least bad' of your choice rather than 'the best'.

Make sure its a 328i, but everyone will think you are a wideboy.
Which car for 2.5k ? - Pugugly
Don't skimp on rear tyres though or you may be doing an involuntary nature ramble through a hedge somewhere.
Which car for 2.5k ? - smokescreen
Agree with MichaelR's sentiments on the Golf as it'll be a mk3/mk4. Driving / being driven around bends on that chassis makes me feel ill! Good cruiser if thats all if your after.

E36 if your sticking to the list, otherwise it would have to be a Nissan Primera for half the money myself, saving the rest for issues you might have.

The Primera GT especially is quite a car indeed, very underrated for what its capable of.

Edited by smokescreen on 31/05/2008 at 12:41

Which car for 2.5k ? - The Gingerous One
I'd second that; if I wanted a good handling car that will have a reasonable running costs then a Primera GT would be my bet. They stopped making them on the V plate but 2.5k should get you one of those with FSH and give you some change.

Handle excellently; I owned the P10 version for a time and was nothing less than excellent.