Best car under £2000 - robbishop1966
Hi everybody,

Could somebody suggest the best cars for under £2000 that I can buy for my wife's Birthday. She definitely doesn't want anything flash, or big or even fast (no women driver remarks please...I am within hitting distance!!)

I thought about a Ford Ka but a mechanic I know kind of put me off the idea. As long as it is reliable, not too thirsty and looks ok I am sure she will be happy.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks,
Rob

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/05/2008 at 19:55

Best car under £2000 - Pugugly
Petrol Corsa.
Best car under £2000 - pendulum
1.25 Mk4 Fiesta Zetec. Can be had for well under £2000 and are reliable & ecomonical.
Best car under £2000 - Avant
At this price condition matters more than make or model - try to find something that although old has been looked after.

The advantage of the Corsa and Fiesta already suggested is that there are lots of them around to choose a good one from. I think a Fiesta would be more fun to drive than a Corsa, but it depends what Madam's priorities are.

A Ka isn't such a bad idea - a hoot to drive - but you may struggle to find one that is rust-free - and also one whose sparking plugs haven't rusted in so they can't be removed.

Also think about a Polo - they can last a long time. A certain very persuasive young lady on this forum managed to sell a 10-year-old Polo for £1,500 not so long ago: you should be able to get something newer from a less skilled seller.

Edited by Avant on 29/05/2008 at 21:07

Best car under £2000 - madf
At that price you can buy an immaculate 20,000 miles full service history Peugeot 106/Citroen Saxo.
Cheap to insure and run and easy to drive.

Oldest son bought one like that for £1900 3 months ago. Lots around on Autotrader if you look.
Best car under £2000 - Bagpuss
I mentioned in another thread that we just sold my wife's Ford Ka. It was 7 years old, rust free and has been a paragon of reliability in the 6 years we've owned it. It needed some suspension bushes for the last MOT but that was basically it. Even the exhaust was the original one. The engine is not very refined, actually it sounds like a bag of nails. But it handles extremely well, provided it has power assisted steering, and is far more robust than I ever would have expected. The styling seems to be a hit with women too.

To be honest the only reason we sold it was the economics of owning 3 cars. I need my company car, couldn't bring myself to part with our Merc coupe, so the Ka had to go. We sold it for 4,700 Euros having bought it originally for 8,000 Euros from a main dealer. I think 3,300 Euros depreciation in 6 years is pretty good going. Loose change insurance and servicing costs as well.

Edited by Bagpuss on 30/05/2008 at 11:39

Best car under £2000 - robbishop1966
Thanks everybody for your replies.

You have opened my eyes to the possibilities and i will now search eBay and the Autotrader to see what the best deal I can come up with.

One quick note before I go..I saw a Ford Ka with cat C damage on eBay. The guy I spoke to said : "The car had light damage to o/s front wing, corner bumper and door
but is now repaired. Don't let this put you off like I said this car has only 6300 miles must be seen"

Presently it is selling for £1000 and I am getting a mechanic to get it on a ramp on Saturday to check it out. I have never bought a Cat C repair before so wanted to know whether to keep clear or whether this motor with only 6,300 miles is worth a punt, especially if it remains around that price and with the low mileage.

Let me know your thoughts,
Thanks,
Rob
Best car under £2000 - Mapmaker
Cat C doesn't matter if you're going to run the car until it's old and worthless anyway. Byt the time it's a £500 car nobody is going to bother with a HPI check before buying, so they won't know.
Best car under £2000 - helmet
Bought the wife an Astra G recently, (1.4 ls 16v on a W plate.) and she loves it to bits.

Came with cd player,electric windows,power steering,air con,and although top price at £1700,she'll get a lot of years out of it.

Parts are as cheap as chips for it,from the likes of Autovaux,and along with herself,we can get me,and the 2 teenage daughters in it quite comfortably.(Although my 406 HDi is a lot better and bigger.)

Yes,as it's a 1.4 it doesn't set the world alight,but as she is usually the only driver in it,performance doesn't really come into it.

If you look for one,avoid the 8v,as it's not as reliable,according to the many owners sites I've read.

Edited by helmet on 30/05/2008 at 20:05