Bio Diesel and Common rail engines - scubastu
Hi All

Firstly I apologise if this has been asked before but I'm new on here and looking back through the archives I can't seem to find an answer.

Is it ok to use commercially bought bio diesel in a common rail turbo diesel engine?

Thanks in advance
Stu
Bio Diesel and Common rail engines - b308
The standard advice is to check your handbook or contact the manufacturer - most are usually ok subject to the fuel being to a certain standard (ie not cooking oil mix!) - the handbook normally gives you the refernce number if its ok.

Edited by b308 on 29/05/2008 at 09:59

Everything I have read says, "the rule of thumb is you can use 100% biodiesel in any diesel built between 1990-2004" The car in question is a 57 plate Hyundia Tuscon.
Why is 2004 the cut off?
Bio Diesel and Common rail engines - smokescreen
Dont forget the biodiesel will shift a lot of rubbish to the fuel filter, so remember to get that replaced quite soon after using the fuel.
Bio Diesel and Common rail engines - b308
Is that a quote from your handbook?
No not a quote from the hand book, it's a quote from www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/approvals.htm
Cheers
Stu
Bio Diesel and Common rail engines - Armitage Shanks {p}
ISTR that 2004 was when Euro IV compliance, for diesel engines, became compulsory, rather than optional. I think all diesel sold today can or may contain up to 5% biodiesel and as this meets the BSI standard it must be acceptable to any diesel engine. Standing by for correction!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 29/05/2008 at 12:55

Bio Diesel and Common rail engines - ijws15
Both the Honda and the Skoda say no to 100% bio diesel and had warning stcikers in the filler cap. Both ran happily on French Diesel which includes a small percentage.

If there is nothing in the book, or the filler cap check with the manufacturer.

A mistake will be expensive.