Smoking Citroen ZX turbo diesel - Turboed
I have a 1994 ZX TD Dimension. After a high speed journey, if I am stationary for a few minutes I drop blue smoke when I take off again. It clears, but the longer I am stationary, the longer the blue smoke takes to clear.

I presume this is oil burning. I am advised that turbos do not fail too often (80k on the clock), besides, it doesn't smoke any other time except for the usual turbo smoke cloud if you floor it.

I have been told that valve guides may be a factor, but I wouldn't have thought so at this mileage.

Anybody got any ideas? Anybody had similar experience with ZX or other turbo diesels?
Smoking Citroen ZX turbo diesel - M.M
Blue smoke can be a diesel combustion fault as well as oil burning. Oil is perhaps the most common.

Should this happen at 80K? Not really but a lot depends on oil change frequency and the mileage. Many 1994 ZX TDs have covered more like 160K, are you sure yours is only 80K?

Burning oil at idle could well be a sign of turbo oil seals failing. In general though these turbo's will outlast the life of the car without problems.

David W
Smoking Citroen ZX turbo diesel - Turboed
Thanks.

And can the seals be replaced easily or is it a complete turbo unit swap?
Smoking Citroen ZX turbo diesel - M.M
T,

You need to prove the fault before rushing to change the turbo......

If it is that though most folks will fit an exchange unit but they're pricey. It is said that only the turbo firms can do the overhaul but I think some kits are now available for a very serious diy'er.

David W