Rush hour traffic and Birmingham - smokescreen
Hi,

Recently accepted for a job in Birmingham and will be moving mid June. The job itself is based in Birmingham business park, just off the A452.

The places I'm considering to live are around Solihull, and driving from there takes me onto the A45 (Coventry rd) then onto the A452.

How is the morning rush hour traffic? I'll be setting off at 7:30am ish myself, and hopefully back by 4:30pm ish.

Are there any sites that let you retrospectively look for road congestion issues? The last thing I want is to rent a property to find I've put myself in the commute from hell!

Thanks in advance
Rush hour traffic and Birmingham - Harleyman
The last
thing I want is to rent a property to find I've put myself in the
commute from hell!

I'm afraid you've already done that, no matter where you rent!

I would seriously consider checking bus routes out, or investing in a scooter or motorbike if your job allows it. The A45 can be a complete nightmare, and if (as often happens) there's a pileup on the M6 I suggest you also invest in a "Daily telegraph"..... you'll have finished the crossword by the time you get home or to work!
I wont be touching the M6 thankfully. According to google maps, I'll be on the A45 for about 1.2 miles, then straight onto the A452.

If I find more evidence suggesting the A45 = hell in rush hour even for 1.2miles, I'll consider relocating closer.

Here's a google map link to give people an idea of what I'm considering : tinyurl.com/5to9rq

Just noticed I can use the B4438 as well, but thats passing the airport and I have no idea whatsoever what's traffic around like there.
Rush hour traffic and Birmingham - Pugugly
Why not go up there stay in a B&B in the area that you're thinking of living in and try it out.
Planning to do that anyway, family live in Coventry so was going to stop there and give it a try. Seems like its the only way to get a real idea of what its like.

Edited by smokescreen on 23/05/2008 at 20:39

Rush hour traffic and Birmingham - hxj

The commute from Solihull will be fine, most of it will going against the flow, just stick on the B4438
Rush hour traffic and Birmingham - Pat L
My inlaws (or outlaws as I call them) live near this ind estate and the road network is prety good, mainly dual carriageways. At the times you'll be travelling it won't be too bad, but you never know what's in store! The proximity of the NEC can cause problems when there's a big show or event on but at your times of travel it shouldn't be a big problem.

Go and check it out. Consider Coleshill or some of the surrounding villages as an alternative to Solihull if you would prefer a more rural or semi-rural pad. Solihull is nice but a bit featureless and characterless IMO.
I did consider Coleshill, but the one thing that put me off was no LLU/Cable services in the area. I know, I'm terrible... but in my defense, 20meg down and 2.4meg up is very useful in my line of work.

Not dead set on Solihull itself, either. Certainly will spend a good few days checking out different areas.
Rush hour traffic and Birmingham - b308
I wont be touching the M6 thankfully.

Think what H meant was if (and when) the M6 grinds to a halt everyone and his dog tries the local roads to get round and they sort of... gum up!

I'd agree with the others - go out there at the appropriate times and try before you buy (or rent! ;-) )
Rush hour traffic and Birmingham - TheOilBurner
I used to work on the Birmingham Business Park (until late 2002) and I often used to find it a bit of a pain.

There was frequently a long queue to get in (from A45 direction) and an even longer queue to get out, especially if there was a big event on at the NEC. My company was on the far side of the park, and there were several times when I had to queue literally from reversing out of my space, right up to the island! And then you hit the M42...

They've since installed lights on the island where you enter and leave the business park, which I believe has helped matters, but don't expect it to be an easy journey. I used to try and leave work by about 4pm at the latest to avoid the worst of the rush. IIRC, you need to be arriving before 8:30 (the earlier the better) to avoid the long queue into the business park.

I guess the only sensible advice is to live as close as possible, although the business park itself is not situated in a very nice residential area, IMHO. If Solihull is the kind of area you're after, then that is definitely the nearest desirable location and I would recommend it. (But don't be suckered by letting agents into believing that areas of Brum are "Solihull", you'll know when you're in Solihull and when you're not...) With leaving at 7:30am you might just avoid the worst traffic.

Time it right and it shouldn't be too bad, for most of the year. Just be glad the motor show isn't on at the NEC anymore!

Back in 2002, when a big event was on at the NEC it would take around 30mins to get into the business park (on top of the rest of my commute) and around 45mins to get out again.... With the new traffic lights, that might be down to 10-15mins or so - I couldn't say.

Edited by TheOilBurner on 25/05/2008 at 12:46

I'm considering living quite close to the Business Park and just cycling it in ideally, but as you say the area around there isnt the most desirable place to live. I'll need to visit the area before making any decisions, but it seems like a no go from what people have said so far.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, I'll factor these all in.