Meaning of Not warranted mileage from Auctions - bromine
I sold a car last week in the auction and the day after it was sold the auction rang me up and said the buyer wants to reject the car because the car has been clocked. I was not aware of that but I have checked with the main dealer and it was known to have done 145k miles in 2004. It is now showing 122k miles and there are two recent MOTs consistent with this. It is now obvious that it has been clocked. But when I was selling the car in the auction the mileage was not warranted anyway. The auction said I should have said it was incorrect. But doesn't 'not warranted' mean there is possiblity that it was clocked? If so then what's the point of having 'warranted' and 'not warranted'?

Could anybody tell me which is right?

Meaning of Not warranted mileage from Auctions - adverse camber
I suspect that you need to check your auction terms of sale. Whatever anyone here says is irrelevant if your contract with the auction house has specific terms.

If not warranted meant that it could be clocked then everyone would be clocking cars.....Oh.
Meaning of Not warranted mileage from Auctions - swifty126
warrantied mileage means that the mileage is totally genuine unwarranted means it could be genuine but you are not committing your self.
Meaning of Not warranted mileage from Auctions - L'escargot
........ because the car has been clocked. I was not aware of that but I have
checked with the main dealer and it was known to have done 145k miles in
2004. It is now showing 122k miles ..........

You weren't aware that the mileage wasn't genuine until you investigated after the buyer complained. You are completely blameless.
Meaning of Not warranted mileage from Auctions - NARU
You are completely blameless.

That may not be enough to stop the sale being voided.
Meaning of Not warranted mileage from Auctions - Mapmaker
You weren't aware that the mileage wasn't genuine until you investigated after the buyer complained.
You are completely blameless.

Perhaps. Or perhaps not. OP sounds like a trade seller. I guess he has a duty of care to his buyers. OP should have done his own due diligence more carefully.

OTOH, the difference in value between a car that has done 122k and 222k cannot be much.
Meaning of Not warranted mileage from Auctions - pd
If the OP is a trader he has no more duty of care to his buyers via an auction than any other seller. From a trader's point of view that is the whole point of disposing via auctions: you can get rid of any or every bit old tat you wouldn't dare retail with no threat of comeback.

In this case it depends on the T&C's of the individual auction house. To be honest, if the OP did not warrant the mileage I see no reason why he was under any obligation to do any due diligence whatsoever.

Edited by pd on 23/05/2008 at 11:13