PX insult - stunorthants26
We popped into our local Toyota dealer, my misses wanted to have a look at a Yaris auto as shes really keen to go for something smaller what with fuel costs rising at a now silly rate.

Anyway, we got pushed through what appeared to be a set process that the sales staff religiously stick to and finally got to the px figure on our Forester, an 04 2.0 X AWP auto with 35k - Subaru dealer local to me said its worth £6k maybe a little more, retail for £8k. Sounded fair enough.

Toyota dealer had the sheer cheek to claim it was only worth £1000 - I nearly slapped him one! What on earth is this game he was playing? Ive never come across it before to this kind of extreme.
PX insult - Armitage Shanks {p}
It was probably only worth £1000 to him; pushing his face in would probably not have resulted in an improved offer!
PX insult - qxman {p}
I'll put in a bid for it at £2k..
PX insult - gordonbennet
Blimey Stu, i can understand your reaction.

I've had one or two candid chats with dealers as i go about my work, and some are making silly offers for large trade ins, and apparently people are accepting some of these derisory offers just to get in a low tax and fuel vehicle.

SWMBO has a thought on this, as we do our duty and get rid of our larger vehicles (at huge loss, and latched ourselves up with escalating repayments for new eco car)
towing the line like the good cannon fodder we are, guess what...they'll come up with another scam and put the costs sky high on them too...only time will tell, but she's usually right. (and you've got more chance of flying to the moon than her towing the line)

Just a thought Stu, as you like the forester, and i assure you nice little car as it is, the yaris isn't in the same league, why not with the money you would have to come up with for a change of vehicle, get your present car lpg'd, subaru's seem to take to lpg very well, and if you get to corby you will find very cheap lpg opp the kia garage, probably other non main road rip offs nearer to you too.
Not really keen on LPG myself, just a personal thing.

The Yaris is perfectly adequate actually, bit noisier but the the flat-4 is an exceptional, however the gearbox is actually smoother and its a perfectly decent car with plenty of space for a small car, we were suprised.

Im actually hoping that our local dealer calls as he said he would be delighted to take the car back when he sells something and has a spot on the forecourt.

Seems the time for large cars is ending if you value depreciation.

Well it would have been more satisfying :-)

I was offered £5800 by a Kia dealer so Im quite sure that the £6k mark is where its at.
What made me laugh was that he told me his 'contacts' wouldnt give any more than £1k, so I told him he should get better contacts and walked out as he was really trying to push it. He absolutely refused to give me a cost to change figure, really bizarre, not to mention he was one of those exceptionally irritating people you really want to zip their mouth shut!

All good fun though!
PX insult - bostin
Out of interest Stu are you 'up' or 'down' with your car dealings this year?! It seems as if you've been through more cars this year than I've had in my whole 14 year car owning career ;-)
PX insult - movilogo
Toyota dealer had the sheer cheek to claim it was only worth £1000

Ask him to supply similar car for £2000. Then buy it and sell it on market for £3000 :o)

It's a thumb rule that you won't get good offer on p/x. Selling privately is the way to go.

PX insult - zm
I think a call to the dealer principle asking what the hell they think they're playing at is in order here. They certainly sound like charlatans who should not be holding a Toyota franchise. What a strange way of trying to sell you a car!

For the record, I have just had a look in December's Glass's Guide. Although this is nearly six months out of date, it gives a trade value of £6400 for your car with 42k on it, so to have a Kia dealer bid £5800 at it some six months on is damn good bid, as I can well imagine the Forester will have dropped alot since December, thanks to the effect of fuel and road tax increases.
PX insult - BobbyG
I pride myself in being very clinical when buying a car. I do all my homework beforehand, calls to dealers etc so that when I physically go in to dealer it is pretty much to seal the deal. In fact last 3 cars I have bought have been agreed over the phone.

My dad is looking for a Xsara Picasso, have narrowed it down to 3 dealers. Phoned each one, gave part ex details, exactly what dad is looking to buy. Went to dealer tonight, part of an extremely large group.

Stipulated what we were interested in, how much to spend. They looked at his part ex and came back and told us how this was so pleasant as the car was in fantastic condition, never seen a car that age looking so good. And then promptly offered £500 less than book for it.

Tried to persuade my dad to take a pre-reg on finance. My dad is 76 and told him no, under no circumstances did he want finance. He then offered him finance again, it was £10k to change, said he could pay £7k and the other £3k on finance. But it was 5 years 0% finance. Again dad said no. What bit of no finance wanted did they not understand? He then went to see what 57 or 07 used they had. After 15 mins waiting (1 hour in total) we got up and left and called into their office to call us if they found anything.

My dad was willing to do a deal tonight, he told them that, but they just ignored everything he asked or told them.

So onto the next dealer on Friday (Motorpoint) where I am reliably told, you can do a deal in mins!
I do tend to go through a few cars its true but this move is sort of following on from the Daihatsu Charade move and how well that has turned out so far.
After driving the Yaris, my misses reckoned she does now like the idea of a smaller car and agrees with me that getting ahead of the game with fuel consumption isnt a bad idea before thirsty cars become worthless.

On speaking to the Subaru salesman, he said that they always find buyers for a Forester as they are sought after by generally loyal customers, hence the values hold up well even with fuel costs going up.
PX insult - Marc
Surely, unless the you can get back what you paid for this car recently then the cost to change will wipe out any fuel savings on a "supermini".

The cheapest car is the one you have.
PX insult - ForumNeedsModerating
Insult? No, it's what it's worth to them on the deal. You just bought the wrong vehicle at the wrong time. IIRC, the original thread on the long running saga of the buying of this Subaru was responded to with many (sensible in my view..) alternative suggestions . You pays ya money etc...
PX insult - tintin01
Bobby G - I would be interested to hear how you get on at Motorpoint. They have a couple of cars which seem good value at the moment and I have heard they give you a part-ex price over the 'phone which they honour if the car is as you describe it to them. I am just wondering if the part-ex value is well under book to make up for their cheapish prices. Let the BR know how you get on, please.

I am a bit fed up with main dealers and was thinking of trying a supermarket next time but have been a bit put off by the bad publicity and regular Watchdog appearances by one of the big supermarkets up here.

edit: I should add that years ago we went to a famous car supermarket in Cheshire and the part-ex was so far under book that it wiped out the price difference between them and a dealer. We got a better deal at the local Ford garage in the end.

Edited by tintin01 on 22/05/2008 at 17:31

PX insult - BobbyG
Tintin, the dealer my dad went to on Wed phoned him back - has now got a 10k mile Picasso, 57 Reg. £7k to change.

I went to Motorpoint yesterday and the guy phoned me back last night. £6500 to change for a 57, identical spec, but with 15k on the clock. Included in this deal was the car being serviced (worth £150 to me apparently even though I pointed out it might not need servicing), and one year's breakdown recovery (I am sure that would be covered by Citroen as car is only 8 months old but salesman said it wasn't transfeable?)

No tax was included with Motorpoint and my dad is unsure whether tax was included in dealer car.

So £500 dfference for 5k miles with dealer having the car quicker than Motorpoint. I have suggested to dad to go with dealer and try and get a year's tax thrown in and agree the deal there and then.

We pay £1500 a year in insurance ( new driver ) so halving that would be very useful. Also, we dont consider our car an asset, so swapping one for another costs us nothing, plus of course, if fuel rises at the rate it is going, our cars value will surely start to dive when it becomes critical for your average owner although what point that is at who knows, me, id rather not test it.
We dont really want to do it as we love the car, however looking a year ahead, things could get rather unaffordable, something we both would like to avoid.
PX insult - GroovyMucker
I found our Toyota dealership had a system. It seemed to give them comfort, but made it impossible to deal with alternatives (like "I can get it cheaper elsewhere: would you like to try to match that?").
Yes the system is frankly silly. I said to the salesman that I didnt want to go for a test drive until I knew whether the car was within budget re p/x, but he refused and insisted that we take a lengthly test drive and then pinned us down on whether or not we wanted to buy that car there and then, as if it would be rude to look anywhere else, only then did he proceed to act like a fool.

What did make me laugh is that despite insisting that the car was only worth £1k, he was keen to know if we would sign up if we accepted £5k for it.
Now pardon me but there is no way that a car up for £6495 is going to have £4k profit in it for him to give us £5k for our car but only trade it out for £1k. He was a darned liar and when he realised I was quite aware of his deception, infact even my misses rumbled his silliness, he got rather, er, shirty.
It was just excellent sport if nothing else.
PX insult - oilrag
Hope you find a way out of it Stu. I `think` i suggested a diesel Panda at £6,300 from Fiat supersaver in that long thread we had, before you bought the Subaru. Either that or a C1 would seem suitable now. Rock bottom running and insurance costs kept on a 10yr+ plan can`t go wrong as they are both on camchains and galvanised -as you know-
Are you sure you`re not going to get caught out needing a van again though? Lettered and with a water tank to expand your valeting business?
As you know I have no sense of `prestige` at all and run a van as a private long distance touring car, for the economy and versatility.
Perhaps its different in Northamptonshire and my Yorkshire `old School` lack of image need would not go down well.
I wish you well and hope you can find a vehicle solution that will be suitable long term as anything less just tends to bleed money away to dealers, in my own past experience.

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 22/05/2008 at 19:15

PX insult - Optimist
Buying a car and trading another is an interesting experience.

What comes out of this thread and the OP's experience is the training which the salesman seems to have had and his rigidity in following it. I once sat next to someone on the train reading her car salesman training manual and a lot of it was to do with obtaining information and then using that in the pitch so that to buy the car seemed an inevitable conclusion,

But if you won't follow that route then it's quite disturbing for the salesman. And you can always walk away.

Looking at the auction prices today it does seem there is a bit of caution where larger cars are concerned but the £1k p/ex offer seems a bit hysterical. On the other side of the coin it may be a while before the Subaru dealer has a space on his forecourt to allow him to buy in.

If it were me, and having just bought the Charade, I'd be holding on for a while before parting with any more money for anything on wheels.

Good luck.
Need an automatic for my misses unfortunatly, otherwise it would be far easier.
Our shortlist is: Daihatsu Sirion/Charade, Toyota Yaris, Suzuki Alto, Kia Picanto/Rio and a Ford Fiesta although the auto models im not sure about.

The training is so very silly and trying to get them to deviate makes them very uncomfortable. In contrast my local Daihatsu dealer will do it in any order you wish, throws the keys at you and says take half an hour with the car, see what you think.
It makes the process so much easier and they are very straight forward about the part ex values.

We arent in the biggest hurry at this point to change the car, but we will stay on the lookout and if the right car and deal comes along we are open to it is how we are looking at it. It may be worth waiting for the Subaru dealer as he was more than happy to take the car back, not even a hesitation, pkus his valuation was inline with what we expected.
We arent going to part with any money, we will just trade in for a car in and around the part ex value of the Scooby.

PX insult - tr7v8
Quite why you see it as an insult I have no idea. Subarus have always suffered the problem that the trade doesn't like them. Only Subaru dealers appear to be able to sell them for reasonable money. When I traded mine in with a Ford dealer he was quite open about it, either it went to a Subaru dealer or they auctioned it. They are just to niche for most dealers. They are also unknown & relatively unloved by the general public.

What would you have preferred, him to offer what he thought it was worth "to him" or refuse it, which I've had in the past.
PX insult - oldtoffee
>>It may be worth waiting for the Subaru dealer as he was more than happy to take the car back, not even a hesitation,

I could be and hopefully for you, will be quite wrong but IMO don't hold your breath Stu. They've forgotten you or they're waiting for you to call them back to hurry them on a bit and then they'll know you're serious about getting rid. Then they'll ignore you a bit more and wait for you to call again and then they'll fob you off with stories of being a bit over stocked and unfortunately your vehicle is not as much in demand now as it used to be just a few weeks ago. But they will make you an offer and nice people that they are, it will still be a big disappointment.

I've been there recently with my Legacy 3.0R and I reckon the dealers are looking at the recent VED rises, the increasing fuel prices and are seeing almost a one off opportunity to make big money at the expense of frightened punters to tide them over the massively hard times coming their way.

PX insult - jbif
We arent going to part with any money, we will just trade in for a car in and around the part ex value of the Scooby.

Wow - You are prepared to take quite a hit on the trade-in depreciation.
".. we dont consider our car an asset, so swapping one for another costs us nothing, ..

Wish I could say that. I would guess that even Roman Abramovich probably would wish he could say that.

It is just 10 weeks since you bought it for £8000 when you were full of praise for your choice and said " Well I bought it :-) ... we were thinking was that we would run this one for 5-7 years" and " its also relatively cheap to insure ".
" Talk me out of it anyone? - stunorthants26 - Fri 7 Mar 08 18:53 " www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=61021&...f

So what is the the big cataclysmic event that has caused such a U-turn in your thinking? Seems an amazing change of heart in a short space of time!

Mainly because we have decided that we should tighten our monthly expenditure further as our plans for starting a family have come forward and due to a heart condition, my misses cannot work from 3 months preg if that, so if we can save more money in the shorter time we have available, its good for us. The Forester costs us £200 a month without even moving.
Also, while many here may well be able to absorb recent fuel price rises, we are worried that it may well become unaffordable for us if it continues at the current rate. UL was 10p a litre cheaper when we bought it and there are no guarantees the same wont happen in the next 10 wks. Its gone up 4p in the last two weeks alone.
Large car ownership is a sinking ship and personally, id rather stay dry and have a dingy :-)
The £8k we bought the Subaru at is already lost whether we keep the car or not, no point in worrying about that, but we can get a newer, lower mileage car thats cheaper to run if we just trade it in, which seems like a sensible idea in the current climate.
PX insult - T Lucas
Ask yourself the question,who wants a car like the Subaru at the moment and more importantly what price is that rare buyer willing to pay?Hence the low p/x value.
PX insult - Paul Robinson
Stu

I could understand you being so concerned about future motoring cost price increases if you were a teacher or policeman, but you run a business. There are plenty of down sides to running a business, but you are at an advantage over employees on fixed salaries and little chance of promotion, in that you have the potential to grow your business and increase your income.

You have been given many fine bits of advice in the previous thread about you business and you could improve your circumstances more by putting your time and energy into following these. However if the Subaru issue is causing you so much stress that it's preventing you from moving forward, take swift action, put it behind you and concentrate on building the good lifestyle for your family that I'm sure you are more than capable of doing.
PX insult - qxman {p}
Personally I would keep the Subaru. It is likely to be very reliable, its out of warranty (so you don't need to go to main dealers for servicing - quite a saving there). Also if you are thinking of starting a family then its a good size car for family use. I think they're a really sensible car.
OK, they are not light on the fuel (I suspect the auto transmission is costing you a fair few mpg).

I have an Impreza with the later 4-cam 2.0 engine and with a light right foot it does 36mpg in mixed A-road & motorway driving. OK, its not fantastically economical, but quite acceptable given I only cover a modest annual mileage. If I floor it in each gear then it will obviously come out sub-30mpg. I can't imagine that the 2-cam engine is much less economical.

By swapping for a Yaris you are handing the motor trade c.£2k in margin. You can buy a lot of fuel with that. Are you also sure that the Yaris will be as economical as you think? I think an auto Yaris may use more fuel than you anticipate.
PX insult - oilrag
Isn`t it group 11 insurance though at £1,500 per year with Stu`s missus having only passed her test this January?

Would changing to a group one or two insurance car, coupled with 60mpg instead of 23mpg and £35 instead of £---?? road tax, recoup the loss in changing?

What would be the two financial profiles over say a 5 year period at 10,000 miles per year? If Stu changed at this point that is.

Edited by oilrag on 23/05/2008 at 10:18

PX insult - movilogo
Large car ownership is a sinking ship

Last month alone, 3 of my colleagues sold their various 2.5-3.0 L cars and downgraded to 1.3-1.8 L.

Days of performance/luxury motoring are almost over.
Servicing is pretty cheap at the local dealer - £300 for cambelt service is about as good as it gets I think.
It is a really sensible car, your right of course, thats why we like it so much.
I couldnt care less about handing the trade a £2k margin because I simply cannot get my own hands on that £2k so its irrelevant to me as it is lost in depreciation and I cant spend the £2k on fuel can i?

The Yaris looks to get around 44 mpg combined as an auto, some options up to 48 mpg, which is a big step from the 29 mpg that we get from the Forester - now we manage to squeeze 31 mpg out of the Forester by driving like the proverbial vicar, which would suggest we may well be able to do the same with any car one would hope.
I have discounted several small autos on account of their terrible economy like the Polo auto which is nearly as expensive on CO2 and mpg as the Forester silly tho that is.

The fact is that with our current finances, we can only afford to drive the Subaru about 60 miles a month which amounts to my misses taking it to work once or twice a week, thats it. Expanding the business much further would impact our family planning ideas that would allow my misses to go back to work ( I will be primary child carer after maternity leave but my parents will help fill in when I pop out to work as I can bring in same money as my misses but still for the most part, be there for baby too as I work short hours for reasonable money ).
With my misses working 4 afternoons a week plus an evening and a full day on the weekend, it works out the best financial plan for us as its money we can count on, which when you have a baby to feed is far more important than hoping a business will expand.

Anyway thats off track! Given that many dealers I have been to, Hyundai esp are stocking a huge number of 4x4's, I dont think the market for them can be that bad as yet and its just a ploy by salesmen to play silly with trade-in values and make a killing if someone falls for it me thinks.
PX insult - M.M
Don't get to look in here much these days but not so long ago I remember your username advocating £500 banger motoring with old Japanese cars?? And now you're up to £8k!

No disrespect but you are all over the place with the figures on this such that it's near impossible for anyone to help.

You reckon you can only afford £10 of fuel a month yet reckon the next service at £300 is an OK-ish price..... what the next 30 months fuel budget spent on one service!!!

I thought you were involved with loads of trade contacts in your business. If so about the best thing would be to offload the Subaru privately and then get a trade buy from one of your friends at the £2000-3000 level so you draw back a bit for the family finances.

Swapping at a dealers will actually lose more than the £2000 (assuming you get anywhere near £6000 for the Subaru and in a swap I really doubt it)... remember paying retail for whatever you take from them will mean the new car loses £1000 the moment you drive it away.

I hope it all works out the way you want anyway.

David
PX insult - Ed V
My guess is that the oil price will drop at least 20% by December. It's only speculators causing this bubble, not an inherent lack of oil or over-demand.
PX insult - tintin01
Thanks for the update, Bobby G. I'm glad your dad got a deal he was happy with in the end. As far as salesman training goes, I think nearly all our cars have been bought when the sales staff have been relaxed and not pushy. I remember an obnoxious Citroen salesman who give us boiling hot coffee and kept saying, "If I can do you a deal will you sign today?". Any sign of pushiness and we leave usually pretty quickly.

Good luck with the baby plans, Stu. Once you have children you will forget about cars for a bit and you won't have time to hang around the BR.
PX insult - RichardW
"The fact is that with our current finances, we can only afford to drive the Subaru about 60 miles a month which amounts to my misses taking it to work once or twice a week, thats it"

So, if you swap if for a car that does 75% (being generous) more MPG, you'll be able to drive it....100 miles / month - with reduced insurance, maybe up to 120 miles / month. Cool.

Time to chop it in, pay off the loan, and get that £500 banger.....
PX insult - NowWheels
So if you swap if for a car that does 75% (being generous) more MPG
you'll be able to drive it....100 miles / month - with reduced insurance maybe up
to 120 miles / month. Cool.
Time to chop it in pay off the loan and get that £500 banger.....

That's the most sensible comment I have seen so far. If the car is only doing 120 miles a month (30 miles a week, or average 4.5 miles a day), then the quality of the car doesn't matter much.

There's another factor too. You say you are hoping to start a family (and I hope that works out for you!), but if you do, then you have child seats to consider. Have you checked how well easy it is to get a child seat in and out of a small car like a Yaris? And if you are going to keep the car for a few years, you may be looking at two child seats. How well would a Yaris accommodate two child seats plus pushchair?

I'm sure that with a bit of careful hunting, £1000 would buy you a secondhand Astra/Almera sized car with more room for child seatsa much cheaper petrol and insurance than the Subaru, and should still have enough life left in it for 7,000 miles you plan to use it for over the next five years.
PX insult - jbif
I'm sure that with a bit of careful hunting, £1000 would buy you a secondhand Astra/Almera sized car

I am afraid all those points were raised in Stu's original marathon thread to no avail. His stated aim was to spend near £10k cash (not a loan) to "treat" himself.

vol1 - www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=58191&...f
vol2 - www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=58304&...f
vol3 - www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=58790&...f
vol4 - www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=59883&...f
vol5 - www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=61021&...f
vol6 - www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=62867&...f
vol7 - www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=61321&...f "no regrets at all".

PX insult - Kevin Phillips-Bong!
Stu,

a word of warning. My wife had the idea of downsizing to a Yaris and the whole thing has been a nightmare from a cheap and nasty little car to Toyota dealers who only know how to work to the script that Toyota sends them.

There is a Toyota Owners' Forum and problem Yari seem to be cropping up a lot.

Or like me you could be facing a 2k depreciation hit very soon just to get out of the thing!
PX insult - Roly93
Any business, no matter what, that has such complex and rigid processes as this will give a poor deal or be expensive, I know I work for one, obviously naming no names !
PX insult - davidh
Hi Stu,

I have a lot of sympathy for you (if thats the right word??) over the car situation. I can see where your at with all your plans and all.

I too have read you threads over the last 18 months or so and they do appear to be contradictory. I dont mean that in anyway to be condemning as I am exactly the same when it comes to cars.

Cars are an addicition to me and take up far too much of my waking thoughts.

I can sit here and make a case (for me) for any car sub 10K you wish to name. One day its Jag, next day its diesel C1. I'm jekyl and Hyde, split personality, afflicted. If I bring the car ideas onto the web that I have I'd be posting about every six hours.

I'd suggest you take a think about what you can afford and need and be hard about it.

Give yourself a break, sell the Scoob privately, spend no more than a grand and get whatever you want - change it when the ashtray is full of sweet wrappers or you've "gone off" the instument binnacle - whatever.

Boredom with a motor is a killer but it much cheaper when the things cost you a grand.
PX insult - Rich320d
Why let the dealers do this to you?

Get one practical economical car and stick with it for a few years.

All this changing costs you much more than the running costs, think of all the depreciation you happilly forget about.

After downgrading to a Yaris, next when your baby arrives you'll be selling again to get something bigger for the baby stuff....

My misses went out on the hunt this morning and came back with an offer of a straight swap of our car for an 05 Picanto auto with 9k on the clock, seems ok to me aslong as the car is sound.

Yes cars are an addiction, its a terrible affliction! Still, I have my misses to reign me in now and she wants us to tighten our belt as much as possible across the board.

Small kids dont need big cars so the need for a bigger car is years away yet, besides, small cars are pretty spacious nowadays!

Its all good fun altho got a lil off topic!

PX insult - johnsnc
Small kids don't need big cars ??? Ever planning on travelling with the nipper(s) taking perhaps a large pushchair, travelcot, highchair, bags full of changes of clothes etc
You may need to think further on this one .. kids come with plenty of baggage if you are visiting friends etc.
PX insult - Alby Back
Stu - My wife had a Corsa when our son was born. She very quickly realised that it was way too small. It's not just the excess baggage the child needs and the child seat but the Granny ferrying as well. We changed it for a Mondeo estate and she even managed to fill that. Look before you leap.
PX insult - Number_Cruncher
>>way too small.

While it may be considered excessive, the W124 estate was bought with the arrival of Number_Nipper in mind. On those ocaisons when we have travelled and stayed overnight, we have done a good job of filling the back of the car with exactly the parephenalia described above. I wouldn't want to travel with a baby in a car that's much smaller.

PX insult - daveyjp
IMHO 'We are having a baby and therefore need a big car argument' is overstated.

This time last year and for about 10 weeks previously our only car was an Aygo and our daughter was one.

It didn't stop us doing anything we wouldn't normally do. This included a foreign holiday which involved driving to the airport with two bags, a travel cot and her pushchair.

The A3 Sportback is more than large enough - I have yet to completely fill the boot when using it for longer trips.
PX insult - movilogo
IMHO 'We are having a baby and therefore need a big car argument' is overstated.

And here is the proof :)

tinyurl.com/6av5me
PX insult - jbif

Yeah but, no but, remember Stu needs to accommodate his Gran's wheelchair too.
a straight swap of our car for an 05 Picanto auto with 9k on the clock

quick check on Autotrader shows these retail at Kia dealers for around £4k to £5k.

So that is a loss on the Subaru of £3k-£4k in 10 weeks!

PX insult - Alby Back
Stu - We have all made decisions which we subsequently regret. Or a change in our needs and circumstances may lead to alternative requirements. The first thing I would advise is not to panic. Most situations which require resolution can be managed with a bit of time and planning. Don't rush your fences and think about what you can do to limit the financial damage as much as possible while still achieving the end result you desire. It strikes me that you are in a unique position to present the car for sale in its best possible light. Your abilities to keep the vehicle looking its absolute best could make all the difference to what you may get for it. My view would be to set about marketing the car privately in the classifieds or indeed if there are any specialist or owners club routes you could try? Don't look for an immediate solution, it may take time. Swallow the higher running cost for a short time while you do this. Think very carefully about the replacement vehicle. What do you want it to do? Could it have a dual purpose for both family and business use? Do you really need to have so much money on the road or would a much cheaper car suffice? Think hard about your potential space needs, not just in the immediate future but over a medium to long term. Take your time, protect your investment, and by the way, enjoy your nice Scooby while you have it !
Honestly, I regret buying the Subaru, not because it is a bad car, far from it, but because its proving more of a burden financially that we had anticipated.
Still if we cant replace it with what we want, then we will keep it and just lay it up unless we really need it. We use the Daihatsu virtually all the time now and in the last 7 days the Forester has only done 3 miles at a cost of £25 ( a week of insurance servicing, fuel and road tax ).

We arent doing anything rash just yet, we are still weighing up the options and perhaps we will dispose of it privately if we can be bothered, I have a holiday coming up so maybe after that a decision will be made. The idea of trundling along the A14 at 50 mph isnt so appealing though but sure does save the fuel!
PX insult - Marc
"a straight swap of our car for an 05 Picanto auto with 9k on the clock, seems ok to me aslong as the car is sound"

Sounds like madness to me. The Subaru is a far superior vehicle (IMO)
PX insult - T Lucas
Easy come,easy go,or is it more a fool and his money,you decide.
PX insult - oilrag
I don`t think comments like that are very helpful to be honest.....
PX insult - ForumNeedsModerating
Maybe they aren't, but do they highlight an aspect. The fact is that the OP got oodles of good advice - probably the benefit of 1000s of years of experience for both his car options & business. As far as I can see all that 'free' consultation has been little heeded.
It's none of my business, (& I've frankly lost interest anyway) only the OP's . No more comments from me.
PX insult - T Lucas
Only an observation from me.Nothing more.
PX insult - pd
A lot of dealers have taken in larger cars they are not familiar with at absolute bottom book and still ended up having to off load them at a loss in the trade.

It is possible that the OP was dealing with a junior sales person who simply hadn't the courage to take a punt on a px he knew nothing about and simply lost his nerve and offered an amount which sounded like he couldn't lose on the deal or lose his job. In otherwords, he couldn't correctly value the Subaru with confidence so would prefer to lose the sale.
PX insult - jbif
I don`t think comments like that are very helpful to be honest.....

Agreed. Stu made it clear in the previous threads that his business grossed him just £200 a week, and it was his Gran who had given him £10k cash specifically to treat himself to a NEW car and it was NOT to be invested in Premium Bonds or Savings Accounts.

Edited by jbif on 23/05/2008 at 17:26

Looks like we gonna have to keep it anyway - I wonder if it would look good with a pot plant or two around it :-)
We are going to park it out the back, change the insurance to my dads automatic Astra and claim the tax back. Most expensive garden ornament ive ever had but atleast we wont loose money trading it in.
PX insult - nick
Can you afford to convert to lpg? Subaru offer such a conversion so it should be good and reliable. Letting it sit in your garden is not going to be good for it. It'll still depreciate and probably end up needing work on the brakes, especially if it's parked on grass. The money is already sunk in it, it's only going to get less valuable so unless you think you'll be able to run in the near future, get rid now and minimise your loss. With the pitter-patter of little feet on the way, you'll need every penny. I'd buy a £500-1000 car and put the rest of the money away.
Good luck whatever you do.
Thats the funny thing - people say when you trade in, that you have lost money, but by that point, the money is already lost, but since the consensus is that the car should be kept, I will take that advice for the time being unless one of the Subaru dealers rings me with a good offer.

LPG takes ages to pay back so not worth it unless you do the miles. Our problem is more the static costs, esp insurance.
PX insult - Alby Back
Have you checked out "limited mileage" insurance? Might help if you are not planning to use it too much.
PX insult - Westpig
stu,

You've made a bit of a boo-boo and bought the wrong car. So as not to waste grannies kind help, clean it up so it sparkles and advertise it for sale in something geared up to that sort of vehicle. Is there an owners club? Is there an owners forum? If not check the trade guide prices, bung it in between trade and mid book and cross your fingers.

Get shot quick as you can, expect to take a bit of a hit and repent at leisure with something more suitable.

We've all done daft things and regretted them, but don't compound it by allowing it to rot and become virtually worthless.
PX insult - oilrag
I guess (with respect) I`m just concerned Stu that you might jump from the frying pan to the fire in another move.
I agree with everything Westpig says in his above post, but are you really sure you don`t need a sign written van with a water tank (and website) to expand your business?

I just don`t see how you can make progress operating out of the back of a small car...

Wouldn`t want to see you with two small cars and no progress on the valeting front due to (sorry) not seeming to have a professional image ie no van.

Sorry to write that, just hoping for the best for you and your family, but its the overall conclusion I have reached from progressively reading all your threads.

Surely business image has to come first? I know a tradesman who can`t afford to run a car and van (did some work for us) but he puts every effort into running a presentable short wheelbase transit (three front seats) van, sign written, as his only transport.

Good luck with this current issue anyway.

Regards

PX insult - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Stu, you said previously that the insurance was expensive as your wife/girlfriend was a new driver. How much would you save by taking her off the policy?

Without wanting to patronise, there was a lot of good advice given about your purchase. You were suggesting fairly rational choices to begin with, but then went heart over head and bought the Scooby. With hindsight, that was a mistake made in the heat of the moment, don't make another.

I've been there, many years ago - suddenly overstretched on house and car, I was lucky and a few months of belt tightening resolved the problem. But I do know how it feels - panic sets in, silly decisions can be made. I also know several people who have been through similar scenarios. Talk to your family and talk to your friends, see what rational suggestions may be given by those who really know you.

I suspect that for the need of a few hundred pounds you are going to make a mistake costing thousands.

You'll never realise the value of the Subaru by swapping it at a dealer and however much you say the depreciation doesn't matter, it simply isn't true. Keep the car, perhaps take a second job if you have to. Something like a few hours, one or two nights a week in a petrol station or a supermarket. That'll buy you a tankful of petrol to last the week. Hopefully, you will also end up with a few quid spare - stash it in a cash ISA*.

6 months time, you have a nice chunk of money saved up, petrol prices have dropped, icy roads are here again and that shiny Subaru is in its element. Decide then, is the second job worth the hassle and time? If you think it is, or if you still need it, then keep doing it. If not, jack it in. Only then decide if you should sell the Subaru - and it will be the right time of year to be doing so and the current market panic will be long forgotten.

*Oh, and if you are 100% convinced that petrol prices will continue to soar, then make that a stocks and shares ISA and load up on BP and Shell shares.

PX insult - Rumfitt
Just to offer an opposing view...

I recently swapped cars and now have an absolutely lunatic car - a nine-year old Mercedes E55 AMG estate...

I too feel the financial squeeze with maintenance and fuel costs.

However, my mileage is quite low, insurance is cheap, tax is fine and I absolutely love it! All my friends have bland euroboxes that sound like taxis, and all they can say is that they achieved over 60mpg on a run - how sad. I talk about how much I enjoyed 'the drive', and arrive everywhere with a smile.

My secret is that I sat down with a calculator and worked out what things would cost me and how much enjoyment there might be had with that change of car. I find I don't drive as much as before and share quite a few journeys to work each week.

Mind you, I do remember the sheer misery of being overstretched with a car. My first 'proper' car was a Golf GTi that kept me awake at night over the finance.

Good luck whatever you decide, but do the sums before you make any decisions - sometimes coping with what you've got is the best option. Buying a real cheapie is also an option, and can take the pressure off for a while.
PX insult - pleiades
Stu there is a good friendly Forester forum on www.subaruforester.org which US based but has a very active European (mainly British) section and there has recently been a lot of chat about mpg, falling values, VED rates etc!

PX insult - jbif
Oh, and if you are 100% convinced that petrol prices will continue to soar, then make that a stocks and shares ISA and load up on BP and Shell shares.

Dangerous advice. No correlation between share price and oil price.
uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=BP.L&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l...=

April 06 - BP 700p, Light sweet crude Oil $70/barrel
Today BP 630p, Light sweet crude Oil $130/barrel

PX insult - pd
The Subaru had a CAP trade price of 6100 in January, 5825 in March and now has a top book price of 5550 in May.

You can see the pattern. Left sitting it will just depreciate away to nothing without turning a wheel. Get shot quick or use it - anything else is madness. It is not a classic which will hold its price.

Edited by pd on 23/05/2008 at 21:26

PX insult - SpamCan61 {P}
Like pd said, the last thing you need is three cars depreciating away rather than two. Use it or chop it in.
Kia dealer I was at today had two books which both booked it at £6000 this month with mileage adjustment and both Subaru dealers agreed with that.

It dont matter, its staying for time being albeit with very limited use. Its sort of madness to keep it and run it as much as we can and madness to sell it. Such is life although im comforted by the fact that I have a customer who looses £15k a year in depreciation over two cars and doesnt seem to mind, so theres always someone worse!
PX insult - geoffd
Hi Stu,

new to this thread, don't know your history but it sounds like you have a lot going on. Seems like you need a vehicle for your business, plus new family. Kids take up a lot of space, don't go too small with your next car. It always amazes me that a tiny car can be described as a small family car. "Family" only if you don't intend taking any stuff with you. Get yourself an estate of some sort, or a small Kombi-van (Berlingo?). Then get it sign written. Best advertising you can get for a small business.

Hope you get yourself sorted.

Geoff
Dangerous advice.

Could be - I would not personally invest in individual shares. It was slightly tongue in cheek, although that did not come across. Having said that.....
No correlation......
April 06 - BP 700p Light sweet crude Oil $70/barrel
Today BP 630p Light sweet crude Oil $130/barrel

...over 5 years shares in both BP and Royal Dutch Shell show an increase of over 50% (fairly unexceptional). There has been something of a bear market in recent months bringing the indices down. And will the effects of the $130/barrel be fully priced into the shares until the next quarterly earnings are announced?
PX insult - madf
I cannot give advice on oil shares (altho 2 I owned since March 2008 have doubled).

Most analysts use $60 - $70 price to value oil shares. BP and Shell have reserves and other issues but...go figure.

Smaller oil companies are riskier but are likely to give much bigger % gains. I'm looking for 300% + on the two I mentioned above...
PX insult - Pugugly
PX Insult ???
Yeah, I wondered about where the topic had gone too :-)
PX insult - Pugugly
So there we back on topic then, welcome to discuss oil shareprices in the fuel price threads - happy to snip these across if you want.
PX insult - geoffd
What was the original point? Somebody offered you a bad deal. You didn't take it. End of. What were you hoping for?
PX insult - pd
CAP Clean on an '04 Forester 2.0 X AWP Auto with 35k is £5,550. CAP is what is used on most auction pricing - as a px at auction it would probably fetch about £4900 in the current market on a good day. This time last year the CAP price was £8000.

It is not worth any more to a trade buyer. If a trade buyer can pick one up for £4900 from pretty much anywhere why would they pay more for yours?
pd - three dealers all disagree with you, one even showed me the book and I doubt they would tell me its worth more than it is, that would be madness.
Sorry, I thought it was a relevant motoring discussion subject, my bad.
I take it you want any part ex value discussions banned, given its an 'End of' topic for you.
Dont think you quite have the meaning of 'discussion' down just yet! All I was originally curious about was if others have experienced similar things. Seemed like a relevant subject.
PX insult - Pugugly
You're right.
PX insult - geoffd
I don't want to end the discussion, lots of interesting diversions. But, you started out with p/ex values, then have digressed into reasons for selling and replacement options - so, the question remains, what were you hoping for? Though I guess it did come over rather confrontational, and that was not intended.
Well it is always curious to hear what others think although really its hard to expect people to understand a very specific circumstance without an extensive understanding of it, hence not all advice makes sense when applied at my end. We were recently told that my misses doesnt need heart surgery before we try for a child which while it has delighted us, its also meant that some of our plans have been brought forward by a year.

Incidentally, I got an insurance quote for a Hyundai Getz auto, just outta curiosity, and it comes in at £840 a year less than the Forester. Thats big money and where any real saving can be made.
PX insult - Optimist
I didn't see the thread where you asked for advice on buying the Forester but I did look occasionally at the purchase of the Charade saga. Was it you who posted about others under-cutting your valeting business?

Why don't you turn things around and bring the Forester into the business? That way you can claim the business expenses relating to that car and in that way reduce the cost of running, tax, insurance, service etc. Take your wife off the insurance if that will help. Get it sign written in peel-off plastic so it's clearly business. Do you have an accountant or someone else to give you a bit of business advice?

Let your missus use the Charade. If she can only drive an auto, consider changing that. (It's not an auto, is it?) Or maybe do without a second car. I'd imagine the Charade would be easier to sell just now than the Forester, but you never make as much as you want when you sell in my experience.

Good luck.
Yeah I wondered about where the topic had gone too :-)

Related to topic and your desperation to change the car - what about the insurance saving question I posed?
Well I think my odd car buying has been done to death in the BR, I dont think even I want to discuss it really as like an MP, I get directed back to eveything ive ever said from the dawn of time :-) as such id rather not irritate anyone by encouraging it.

Re - insurance - I am not able to always take my misses to work, so she needs to be independant, infact if she didnt drive, we wouldnt need the Subaru at all as I always drive my Daihatsu.
Re - insurance - I am not able to always take my misses to work
so she needs to be independant infact if she didnt drive we wouldnt need the
Subaru at all as I always drive my Daihatsu.

But you were considering laying the Subaru up? If that was workable, then un-insuring her is workable?
No because we would have to just add her to my dads policy and we would pay the difference so she still needs to be insured on something. My dads car is getting rather, er, ropey now though, its in its final few years.
PX insult - pd
If any dealer is looking at CAP and coming up with something different then they don't know how to use the book.

I am amazed any dealer still use paper versions anyway.
Well they were current, but hey, I like their book better than yours :-)
PX insult - oilrag
"No because we would have to just add her to my dads policy and we would pay the difference so she still needs to be insured on something."

When SWMBO passed her driving test we bought a ten year old group one banger for her and insured it TPFT, she wasn`t on my cars policy at all.

She had a few incidents in it and I was able to sort things out myself using body panels bought cheaply from a scrapyard. For example I bought a same colour door complete for around £30 and just fitted it on the drive in a few minutes.

We saved a lot in that way, by having a car that could go to the scrappers if necessary without touching the insurance.
Eventually she built up a full no claims bonus and at that point we bought a new car for her and put her on my cars insurance.

Hope this is broadly on topic as insurance was mentioned as the problem.. I think..

Regards