Old petrol disposal? - mark830_1
Have approx 6 litres of 9 month old petrol mixed at 50 to 1 with 2 stroke oil for a small outboard motor of mine. I want to refill the tank with new fuel for it's 1st start of the season.

How can i legally dispose of it? The other thread about coolent disposal and it's useful link does not help seemingly.

I cannot put this in my petrol car can I?

Appreciate outboards are a long way off topic but wondering if it's worth starting/attempting to run engine with this fuel? Believe it can lead to alls sorts of running problems!

As a compromise i could put another 6 litres of fresh petrol into tank and give it a good mix!

Any guidance appreciated

Thanks Mark
Old petrol disposal? - Dynamic Dave
The fuel should be ok to carry on using. Just give it a good shake beforehand to mix the 2 stroke oil and petrol together.

My motorbike has fuel in it that's over a year old and still starts without any problems, as did the lawnmower that was dug out from its winter hybernation for the first grass cut of the year 6 weeks ago with last years petrol still in it.
Old petrol disposal? - Mapmaker
Put it into a non-common rail diesel.

Old petrol disposal? - steveo3002
why not start the engine with fresh fuel if you wish then mix in some old with each tank of fuel

it shouldnt be so bad it cant be used
Old petrol disposal? - FotheringtonThomas
How/where has it been stored? I'd be surprised if it wasn't OK to use, you might consider flushing your carb. or similar with fresh petrol first, it's generally the small amount of fuel left "in the system" that causes starting problems.

How can you legally dispose of it? Hmm. Dunno. As garage might take it, or your local scrap metal merchant might take it - they sell the stuff that they get out of scrap cars. You could let it evaporate, or burn it in a tin of sand, or something.
Old petrol disposal? - mark830_1
Thanks replies so far, sounds like worth running the engine on it.

Fuel is stored in a 12 litre plastic air tight separate yamaha tank.

Thanks replies so far, a great help as always.

Mark
Old petrol disposal? - David Horn
Six whole litres, you say? I'd hold on to it, as an investment it's increasing in value every day.
Old petrol disposal? - bintang
In this situation, I found a lot of water had found its way in, although the filler cap eas closed tight. Old fuel is better for lighting bonfires than newspaper etc. For a safe method, put some old rags in a bucket, one with a very long piece of string tied to it. Soak them in petrol and insert them under the pile to be ignited. Pour some more on top. Trail the string as far as it will got upwind and light it.

Old petrol disposal? - M.M
As a user of three 2-stroke outboards plus strimmer and hedgecutter that run on the same mix I find the "problem" of old petrol 2-stroke mix is often overstated. On the boating forums many obsessively advise ditching fuel mix much more than a couple of months old.

At the moment I'm working through using some 50:1 2-stroke mix, 12litres 9mths old and 20litres over 3yrs old! All the engines are starting and running just fine.

However the outboards are currently on the river. I have enough respect for the sea never to use old fuel there.... just in case.

David
Old petrol disposal? - John S
Just use it. My Minor often restarts after 4 months on the fuel in the tank, as does the mower after the winter. If you're really worried dilute it with fresh mixture, but I really wouldn't worry as it's been in a sealed can.

JS
Old petrol disposal? - billy25
I always use my "last season" leftovers mixed 50-50 with fresh, never had a problem, most people that have problems (in our boat club) are the ones that didn't bother to either "run thier engines dry" or drain thier carbs at the end of the season before laying-up, and the residual petrol/oil has evaporated and left "gummy" deposits which block the jets. These problems are often mistakenly blamed on the "old" fuel. Interestingly, since the introduction of direct injection and four-stroke outboards, these problems have decreased, but havent been totally eliminated, especially in engines whereby the oil is injected seperately into the petrol (oil-injection models). So the motto is: keep your spare fuel in your tank, not in your engine!

Billy