Coolant disposal - doug_r1
I've got a bucket of old coolant from the car, I've seen the oil tank at our council waste disposal site but I've never seen anything about old anti-freeze. What's the best way to get rid of it, that doesn't involve drains or an empty field?

Top Reply

Coolant disposal - zookeeper
i remember years ago a neighbour painted his fence with old engine oil to give it that "winter protection" i also recall he painted his reliant robin with gloss paint and a 3 inch brush

All Replies

Coolant disposal - L'escargot
Have a browse through here ............ tinyurl.com/5bkffm
Coolant disposal - doug_r1
Quite interesting site, but I couldn find coolant or anti-freeze in the search, other than fridge/freezers.
Ask Envocare for advice via email ........ tinyurl.com/6c99kx

Edited by L'escargot on 20/05/2008 at 11:45

Coolant disposal - Group B
Can't you find a neighbour with a dodgy head gasket and let them boil it away to nothing for you?

;o)
Coolant disposal - Dynamic Dave
Surely just dilute it with copious amounts of water and pour down the drain?
Coolant disposal - Cyd

Never do this. It is poisonous to wildlife. Flush down the toilet. See below.

Coolant disposal - FotheringtonThomas
1) Your local household refuse tip might indeed take it - try asking them for help. They
may tell you to pour it into their waste oil tank with the brake fluid and associated
grot, for recycling.

2) It used to be recommended to dilute it with a lot of water, and tip it down the...

3) Send it to Italy, where they might add it to wine.
Coolant disposal - Roger Jones
My local authority's site says:

"If you are in doubt about the safety of a product, or do not know how to safely dispose of it, then call the WasteAware helpline on 08457 425000."

I did, and they gave me 0870 850 6506. I used:

www.saynoto0870.co.uk/search.php

to avoid an 0870 charge and found the alternative 01709 389201. They sent me to:

www.netregs.gov.uk

where via Waste Directories I found nothing but lists of commercial companies in relation to the matter, using the lubricants option, as advised.

Good, eh?
Coolant disposal - Saltrampen
I have an old flower bed with some weeds I want to Kill - that is one place it can go....
Next on the list is that Ant's nest I want rid off!

Most councils will refer you to a special contractor who will charge you to dispose of it as it is classed as Chemical waste.

I suspect that DIY motorists will soon be treated the same as DIY electricians - you will not be allowed to do it in future without paying for an inspection!

Coolant disposal - doctorchris
As doug says, pour down drain with plenty of fresh water to dilute it.
Coolant disposal - DP
If you're going to pour it, wouldn't the toilet make more sense than a drain? Drain water is discharged directly into rivers and streams. Sewage is at least treated under normal circumstances.

I can't believe the complete lack of guidance on this from government.

Cheers
DP
Coolant disposal - Whisky
Drain water is discharged directly into rivers and streams.

It'll get well diluted there :-)
Coolant disposal - Cyd

Never do this. It is poisonous to wildlife. Flush down the toilet. See below.

Coolant disposal - CGNorwich

from the following site
www.hydratech.co.uk/faqs.html

What should I do with my used antifreeze?
Used antifreeze is considered hazardous waste, and if the Environment Agency trace improper disposal of the product back to yourself you will be liable for very heavy fines and possible prosecution. It is VERY IMPORTANT you do not just pour the used antifreeze down drains or sewers, as it can cause illness and death to organisms which consume it (including marine life, pets and humans). If you require help or advice regarding antifreeze disposal please contact us.
Coolant disposal - doctorchris
But it's only made of Oats, or that's what the label says, so where's the problem.
Coolant disposal - Lud
If it contains ethylene glycol, you could add it to your German plonk to turn it into Qualitätswein (NB: umlaut missing).

Edit: Umlaut inserted :-) - to make up for my earlier typo ! - PU

Edited by Pugugly on 20/05/2008 at 18:04

save it and then the next time your drive or pathways get iced up just swill it about
Coolant disposal - galileo
do not just pour the used antifreeze down drains or sewers, as it can cause illness and death to organisms which consume it (including marine life, pets and humans).

Didn't think many pets,humans or marine life lived in sewers. Maybe hydratech know different?
Coolant disposal - P3t3r
I usually put it down the drain, although it sounds like that's not a good idea. The last time I did it I probably spilt half of it on the drive way anyway :(.
Coolant disposal - Hamsafar
I asked a few years ago, it must go down the sewer, and not the rain/storm drains. Never put it down a drain on the road, or a drain for your roof as the latter may go to a soakaway or the storm drain on newer properties. put down the toilet, sink, or a drain you know goes to the sewer. A few years ago, 'they' were going to paint blue fish symbols on all road drains to warn that they go straight into waterways, but they didn't around here.
Coolant disposal - CGNorwich
In Bolton council's amazingly detailed instructions for waste disposal (antifreeze is listed just before artificial limbs) if provides the following useful tip

"Antifreeze
You can give antifreeze to your friends and family (if they want it)....."

So there you have it - the ideal birthday present!
Coolant disposal - tr7v8
The answer is in this months Car Mechanics. It must go into a waste treatment source not open gulleys, such as drains. In other words tip it down the loo.
In other words tip it down the loo.

But not if you've got a septic tank or cesspit.
Coolant disposal - Pugugly
"You can give antifreeze to your friends and family (if they want it)....."

Sadly I went for a look, I think this maybe a cheesed off public servant having a bit of a covert giggle. Seems as they also need to make arrangements for unwanted apostrophes as well.
Coolant disposal - Robin Reliant
I used to pour my old oil down the drain before they invented the environment.
Coolant disposal - Lud
Rabbit holes.

It's what they're for.
i remember years ago a neighbour painted his fence with old engine oil to give it that "winter protection" i also recall he painted his reliant robin with gloss paint and a 3 inch brush
Coolant disposal - Saltrampen
Painting fences with old oil - My uncle did this (in the 1980s) and for the first year in the summer his garden smelt like a scrapyard or the grubby yard of a cheap garage.
Coolant disposal - MVP
50% cresote and 50% old engine oil is the best fence preserver (and re-cycles the oil)
It will last 10 years against 2 for modern eco rubbish, and has a nice dark teak colour, not the glary orange you buy in tins.

MVP
Coolant disposal - madf

+1

But illegal.

Old engine oil is VERY VERY VERY toxic.

Coolant disposal - TeeCee

The last time I did it I probably spilt half of it on the drive way anyway

Yup, I've always found that once I've barked my knuckles, wrestled the bottom hose off, soaked self/drive, wriggled out from under the vehicle and finally managed to get something underneath, there's not a lot left to catch......

Coolant disposal - Techelec

Ethyl Glycol based products are toxic. This stuff shifts the acidity of blood when ingested and messes up your kidneys. Under no circumstances should it be released into road drains, septic tanks, or soil. (UK laws) Small quantities can be fushed down the TOILET which then gets processed. The prefered method of diposal, and for large quantities is to take it to the tip in the same way you dispose of engine oil ... Else contact the local council for regional instructions. It's a three minute phone call to find out!

Coolant disposal - Cyd

Quite correct. I once asked this question of Severn Trent Water. They obviously reiterated that garages must dispose of used antifreeze via proper waste disposal channels, but they reognise that someone changing his coolant at home cannot do so. They advised that small quantities can safely be disposed of by flushing down the toilet. It will be such a small concentration that sewerage works will be able to handle it.

It should never be poured down drains, as it will go direct into water courses.

I have given this advice on here before - and been ridiculed for it. It's one reason why I went away for a "while".

Perhaps HJ could include it in FAQ?

Coolant disposal - Hamsafar

When I looked into it, you should pour it down the sewer that goes for waste treatment (like a toilet) - not a storm drain such as a gully grate that goes to culverts and streams etc. Ethylene Glycol is also quite biodegradabl, so *should* be OK for cess pits, it just the additives that may not be.

Coolant disposal - John F

The treatment plant for our small village discharges into the brook so it doen't matter if you pour it down the loo or drain. But why change it? Like wine, old coolant is better than new because the oxygen content will be less, so corrosion will slow. My coolant is as old as our cars.

By the way, where is all the polluted water damping down the Smethwick fire going? I wouldn't like to be drinking water from round there for a bit!

Coolant disposal - SlidingPillar

The reason for the 'life' is the anti-corrosion inhibitors. Old coolant is in no more danger of freezing than new, but an engine with old coolant in could start to suffer from corrosion. Car cooling systems have right old mix of metals, steel, brass, copper, aluminium, and any metals in solder. Perhaps other metals too.

Coolant disposal - bathtub tom

The reason for the 'life' is the anti-corrosion inhibitors. Old coolant is in no more danger of freezing than new, but an engine with old coolant in could start to suffer from corrosion. Car cooling systems have right old mix of metals, steel, brass, copper, aluminium, and any metals in solder. Perhaps other metals too.

I've often wondered about the 'life' of corrosion inhibitors in anti-freeze, but never been able to find an answer.

Coolant disposal - RT

The treatment plant for our small village discharges into the brook so it doen't matter if you pour it down the loo or drain. But why change it? Like wine, old coolant is better than new because the oxygen content will be less, so corrosion will slow. My coolant is as old as our cars.

By the way, where is all the polluted water damping down the Smethwick fire going? I wouldn't like to be drinking water from round there for a bit!

Yes it does matter - the plant only discharges AFTER treatment - if you dump it in the storm drain, it'll get no treatment.

Smethwick gets it's water from South Staffs Water - which uses ground water from springs for drinking, also bottled in large quantities as Elmhurst Springs - sold in supermarkets and exported to France!