High cost of diesel - Ben10
I know how you feel. I'm running 2 diesels at the moment. The price around my way is going up a penny a day. With no end in sight, its about time the government capped its tax on fuel for a while to help.
High cost of diesel - caspian
The government has made a windfall of around £500 million over the past six weeks, while berating the fuel companies.

It is likely only to get worse. Thank to this and previous governments, nearly all of 'our' utilities are now owned by foreigners. Oil, gas, and water, who ship it accros the Europe form here in summer where they have loads of storage space. Then in winter they sellit back to us at rip off Britain prices.

My gripe is that when I travel on company business, the 40p a mile I get is the same 40p a mile I used to get when fuel was 80p per litre. So my costs have gone up by 50%, while the amount I can claim back before being taxed, has stayed the same.

Not to worry though, in line with previous GB (that's Gordon Brown not Great Britain, I hope this doesn't count as naming and shaming) gems, once energy price inflation becomes too high, the government will simply remove it from the inflation calculation anyway. - Just like they did with Council tax and mortgage rates
High cost of diesel - gramar
Caspian,

I'm together with you on this.

"My gripe is that when I travel on company business, the 40p a mile I get is the same 40p a mile I used to get when fuel was 80p per litre. So my costs have gone up by 50%, while the amount I can claim back before being taxed, has stayed the same"

Exactly. I too can claim 40p per mile for work. It doesn't go far now does it. I've been stuck on 40p per mile for over 10 years and that's supposed to offset fuel,oil, servicing, depreciation, etc;

Fortunately I only cover about 2,500-3,00 miles and run a 9 year old car. But even that will need to be repalced one day. I seriusly will consider going backto petrol even though on days when I do no claimable mileage I still face a 80 mile commute.
High cost of diesel - Roly93
about time the government capped its tax on fuel for a while to help.

This is one of the few things that isn't realy the governments fault. it is the oil companies ripping us off and price fixing, what other country in Europe has dearer diesel than petrol, anyone know ??
Okay I can accept that oil is getting expensive but I can only see that this is blatant profiteering whicu the government is too lilly-livered to do anything about.
High cost of diesel - smokescreen
Have a read into the petrodollar. Its the reason for many, many 'liberations'...

Also the OPEC president was caught saying "for every percent the dollar drops, oil raises $4".
High cost of diesel - Ben10
"This is one of the few things that isn't realy the governments fault."

Predominantly it is. The majority of your fuel cost is tax. The bit you get from the oil companies is quite cheap in comparison.

Edited by Ben10 on 18/05/2008 at 11:21

High cost of diesel - Roly93
"This is one of the few things that isn't realy the governments fault."
Predominantly it is. The majority of your fuel cost is tax. The bit you get
from the oil companies is quite cheap in comparison.

My point is that fuel duty hasn't been raised, I agree it is too high anyway...