2000 2.2/3.0 Mechanical Fuel Injection - Dude - {P}
I am considering buying a W124 or W210 E class Mercedes and would appreciate if someone could advise when M. Benz ceased production of diesel engines with Bosch mechanical fuel injection systems.

Could someone also please advise when M. Benz switched to common rail diesel engines ??

Many thanks for your help.
2000 2.2/3.0 Mechanical Fuel Injection - Roger Jones
I think it was 1985 when MB switched from "KA" mechanical to "KE" mechanical/electronic systems, which would mean no W124 with a KA. I would guess that common rail didn't come in until the W210 in the late 1990s, and I think the early W210s were not common rail. A bit of Googling will confirm or correct these guesstimates.

www.w124.co.uk/modelrange.html
2000 2.2/3.0 Mechanical Fuel Injection - Number_Cruncher
In the W210, the OM606 engine was fitted until 1999.

The OM606 was fitted to the facelifted W124s, 1995 - 1995. All of these cars were naturally aspirated, and the injector pumps were Bosch mechanical inline injector pumps, with electronic idle speed control.

In the W210, the OM606 was still fitted with the Bosch inline injector pump, but, the pump is electronically controlled, "fly by wire" pump. In some W210s the OM606 can be turbocharged.

In the W210, the automatic gearboxes are supposedly filled for life - however, there have been reports of some failures at about 120,000 miles. Many are now reverting to a 60,000 mile oil change and filter regime - the gearboxes need special oil, from MB - don't be tempted to use anything else.

W210s have a repuation for being very rusty.

These engines, whether NA or turocharged are considered to have good performance and economy. But, the engines do have their problems;

The head gaskets are prone to leakage
The glow plugs snap in the head with alarming regularity
The inlet valve seats recess into the head, causing a loss in compression, especially for the rear cylinders
Idiots try to run them on SVO and WVO without using a twin tank system

Having said all of that, with good servicing and care, these are very long lived engines.

Here's some more info:

tinyurl.com/5mun7h

And this was posted elsewhere in response to someone who reckoned that MB diesels after the 1990s (common-rail engines) had to be better than the predecessors:

"Cdi with stuck injectors?
Cdi with dead high-pressure pump?
Cdi with dead fuel rail?
Cdi with one dead injector that has left you at side on motorway?
Cdi with blown turbo?
Cdi with blocked cats?
Etc. "
2000 2.2/3.0 Mechanical Fuel Injection - Number_Cruncher
facelifted W124s, 1995 - 1995

D'oh, 1993 - 1995!
Thanks guys for your replies, - really looking for a reasonable mileage w124, which are now increasingly rare.
The W124 diesels are good for half a million miles and more, so calibrate your view of "reasonable mileage" accordingly.

tinyurl.com/3rbk56

tinyurl.com/6b5q3

www.mercedes-benz-club.co.uk

www.mbclub.co.uk/

www.mercedesshop.com

The bodywork weak spot is the front wheel arch; I've had trouble with the antenna aperture too, but that seems to be uncommon. MB switched to water-based paint in August 1995 (about six months before the end of the main run of the W124); that bothers some, but for what it's worth my bodyshop reckons that its alleged inferiority is exaggerated.
"W210s have a reputation for being very rusty."

Just to wrap this up, as far as I can see from hundreds of printed and online reports, that reputation is justified. Some appear to have escaped the problem, but many haven't. And they were not alone: the MB corrosion problem affected other models too and lasted from 1996 to 1993, when galvanizing came in; I've even seen reports of corrosion on younger vehicles.

All cars rust eventually of course, including the W124. In my personal experience, the ones most resistant to it have been Audi and VW.

Dude, if you want any further W124 info, I have plenty to share.

... MB corrosion problem affected other models too and lasted from 1996 to 1993.....

Roger

Would I be correct in thinking that this should read 1996 to 2003 ?
Yes, indeed. Oops.

(I do wish the editing function remained permanently available, as it does on most other forums that I visit, instead of shutting off a few minutes after posting. I guess it's a software limitation.)

Edited by Roger Jones on 19/05/2008 at 13:29

2000 2.2/3.0 Mechanical Fuel Injection - Dynamic Dave
No, it's to stop people editing their posts days later and then being out of context / not making any sense with posts that follow afterwards.

DD.