2000 1.6 8v Aircon problem - taffydog

I have a 2000 Astra 1.6 8v estate. The aircon stopped working and I found the clutch coil in the compressor to be open circuit. It turned out that the thermal fuse in electrical series and in physical contact with the coil had blown. I replaced the fuse and the aircon now works but I'm afraid to run it for more than 10 minutes in case it blows again because I suspect that whatever cycles the compressor off and on isn't doing it's job thus overheating the coil. My questions are:- is it the type of compressor that cycles or is it O.K. if it runs continuously (implying that the original problem was just caused by a defective thermal fuse). If it is meant to cycle what components can I check? The defroster switch in contact with the evaporator radiator reads 9.6k ohms at ambient and 12.76k after running the air for 10 mins.
2000 1.6 8v Aircon problem - elekie&a/c doctor
The compressor on this model does not cycle on/off when the a/c is switched on as it is a variable displacement type pump that changes its output according to the load requirement.A de-ice thermostat is fitted to some models and should open circuit when the evap temp reaches approx 3 degrees.A defective thermal fuse in the clutch coil is very common on these and I have by-passed them many times with no adverse problems.A replacment coil is available from GM at around £90.hth
2000 1.6 8v Aircon problem - taffydog
Thanks much for your help