00 2.0 Tspark, Selespeed - liability or not ? - samsun
I've just bought an Alfa Romeo 156 on a x reg its a 2lite t spark Selespeed. Its done 76000 miles and I've been told its had cambelt changed 500 miles ago. I paid 1250 pounds for it,granted there's a couple of prangs on body work to be sorted and no tax but ive looked on ebay and trader etc and there going for 2000 plus?. I've also told there not the most reliable car around and that the Selespeed are known for breakdowns atc.can any one put my mind at ease and tell me what they think of these cars and gearboxes and any known probs etc etc,thanks ray

Subject line made more readable and typos corrected

Edited by Pugugly on 12/05/2008 at 20:17

2000 2000 bought alpha 156,worried ive made big mi - Lud
How does it seem when you drive it?

Sounds like a rough one. The dents will have reduced the price. But you need to assess the thing for yourself. If everything is working properly, or any faults are clear and relatively simple to fix, you might have got a bargain.
2000 2000 bought alpha 156,worried ive made big mi - adverse camber
If it helps - I wouldnt pay £2k for an X plate selespeed.

Some people have problems with the gear box - but there are a couple of known issues that are easy fixes - and not expensive.

Remember that the TS engines (ie all the petrols except the V6) need cambelt changes at 36K intervals.
What are they going for on ph?

Spec makes a big difference to price as well. leather (if so which)?

You do seem to have bought a fake though. The real ones are Alfa Romeos.

appreciate what you say, I've since corrected that particular typo ! - PU

Edited by Pugugly on 12/05/2008 at 19:11

2000 2000 bought alpha 156,worried ive made big mi - samsun
the car starts first turn of the key,ticks over perfectly and pulls in every gear etc has it should,thers scratches to front and rear bumpers and dent in rear panel,all electrics work etc but starter motor makes a slight noise wen starting been told he had it checked out at recent service and its fine???? im just paranoid about all the negative hype about the gear box?