2004 1.6VVT - De-phaser Pulley - Vics
Hi Guys

I have an Oct 2004 Scenic 1.6 VVT

A couple of days ago the service light came on and the diplay read 'CHECK EMISSIONS'.
I took it to the Renault dealer today and they have diagnosed that it needs a new de-phaser pulley. My car is 6 months out of warrenty and although it only has 24k miles on the clock its going to cost me £1098 to fix!!!!

There is absolutely NO way I can afford this and I have asked the dealers to ring Renault and find out if they can do this work or at least contribute to the cost as it is a known fault (wish I'd known before I bought it!!). Does anyone know how likely Renault are to do this for me? I'm at my wits end and I really don't know what to do. I can't even sell or part ex my car with this problem :0(

Any replies would be appreciated!

Vics

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/05/2008 at 19:10

2004 1.6 Renault Scenic De-phaser Pulley - DP
I succeeded in getting a £250 electric window regulator replaced on my Scenic completely FOC 3 months out of warranty.

Put your request in writing to Renault UK customer services directly. Write it in a tone that expresses complete disappointment rather than anger or disgust. Make the point that the outcome of this will influence your decision to buy Renault in the future, or recommend it to others. Don't say you want it done free, but leave it open - ask what they are prepared to do.

I also put it into the context of a family car - i.e. how does an expensive failure which in my case was a direct safety hazard (window dropped into the door in Central London traffic with two <3 yr olds on board) relate to the family and safety credentials of this car? Families neithe rexpect or can afford massive unscheduled bills on cars so young, s etc etc. You know what I'm getting at anyway.

Has to be worth a try. In my case I was very pleasantly surprised. I had a phone call within 12 hours of sending the e-mail, and the work was authorised a couple of weeks later.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 09/05/2008 at 16:45

2004 1.6 Renault Scenic De-phaser Pulley - Bill Payer
How long have you owned the car and does it have full Renault service history?

Going back a bit, both rear springs were found to be broken on my wife's 1998 (so this was in the days on 1 year warranty) Clio when it was 4 years old. The dealership has 9 (odd number!) in stock so I guessed it was a common problem. They bashed away at a keyboard and then said Renault would not contribute.

I called Renault Customers Services and said I was disappointed etc etc and maybe they should recall all Clios across Europe to have their springs replaced. 15mins later the dealer called to say Renault had authorised it FOC.
2004 1.6VVT - De-phaser Pulley - scenicmadness
hi we have a 2005 1.6VVT grande scenic. our so called dephaser pulley has failed 3 times previous renault insist that all they can do for us to keep replacing the same part we managed to get an extended warranty from them foc but have decided to take matters further involving trading standards. renault uk and the finance company dont want to know and keep passing the book hoping that we will just accept another repair not this time. hope you got yours sorted