Buying a car used for towing? - Zub
A while ago it was said that you should think twice about buying a car that had a towbar fitted as it possible it has more wear to the gearbox/suspension than a car that has not been used for towing.

Is this in fact correct? Would a car have had to do frequent heavy towing to see any difference in reliability? The car I am looking at it a Y reg focus diesel with 90,000 miles on it.
Buying a car used for towing? - Paul I
It depends on what it has towed, a car that has twin electrics as denoted by a grey and black set of sockets will have towed a caravan; a single black plug is purely for lights and so the car will have pulled a trailer now is the big question what did it pull?

On my last car I brought a trailer just to go to the tip with and I would argue that it actually helped preserve the value of the car - it however was removed before sale so as not to detract from it's value.

The type of car is a good guide as to what it will have carried.
Buying a car used for towing? - Mchenry
This strikes me as more a dealer's ploy to drive down a part-exchange price than a real problem.

My car goes down (I've measured it) 70mm at the back when I couple the caravan. It also goes down 70mm when my 2 large sons get into the back seats, so I can't see any difference concerning the suspension.

As for the gearbox, a heavy trailer means more gear changes - so does urban driving. Where's the difference? The clutch takes a bit more punishment when moving off from rest. However I strenuously avoid driving with the caravan in urban areas (because I hate it!).

I think you're right to emphasise 'heavy frequent towing'. Occasional, normal towing wouldn't bother me. What would bother me is a car used (abused?) by a lead-footed, 'it's not mine so I don't care' type of driver.

Edited by Mchenry on 07/05/2008 at 16:05

Buying a car used for towing? - Alby Back
Whether the car has been abused or cherished, you just can't tell, the reality is that this would be a reason not to buy it for me. Same goes for anything with a dog guard. Made that mistake once, car smelled to the heavens on a hot day! Focusssss ( Foci ? ) are not exactly rare, I'd look for another one if that's what you fancy.
Buying a car used for towing? - oldnotbold
Ask him what he's towed, and how far/often. Look him in the eye. Double any number he gives you, and then consider walking away.
Buying a car used for towing? - gabble
oldnotbold has got the right idea - ask! Not sure if this one is a private sale or at a dealer. If at a dealer get the name and address of previous keeper from the V5, get their phone number from directory enquiries and give them a call. Most people are really happy to give you an honest appraisal of the car if they have already sold it. They will tell you what it has towed, what has gone wrong with it in the past, why they sold it etc etc. They may even tell you the clutch is on it's way out...

gabble
Buying a car used for towing? - adverse camber
Or do a drive past to see how big the caravan is?