1998 1.9TD Air Con Relay Location - big e
Can anyone tell me where the air compressor relay is as ive lost the feed to the fuse that powers up the interior fan and aircon controls , done a temp repair on it to make it work but ran a dianostic check and comes up with "air compressor relay intermittant fault" ...... Anyone got an idea ??? Thanks

{Volume turned down - ie, got rid of UPPER CASE text}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/05/2008 at 19:39

1998 1.9TD Air Con Relay Location - Hum
Hi Big E, Did you get to the bottom of this problem? I have the exact same problem and have come to the same conclusion. All relays behind the fuseboard don't correspond to the air con circuit so there must be another relay somewhere but where?
1998 1.9TD Air Con Relay Location - Screwloose
Hum

Exact year; engine and type of aircon [manual/auto etc.] and which number fuse powers it?

Dozens of variations over the various model/years. Could even be the ignition switch.
97 1.9td manual fuse no 21. I have tested the ignition switch and internal blower. No power going to the fuse.
Hum

You'd better retest that ign switch; fuse 21 is fed direct from it's KK2/CC01 output.

You may find this of interest....

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=65146&...f
Ok will recheck this wiring. I have tried another ignition switch on it as I had a spare lying about, but will check with the multi meter. Thanks Screwloose this has given me some new direction.

regards

Hum
Thanks for the help. Goes o show how easy it is to get miss guided. Swapped the switch over and got the blowers working again but no air-con. I would have thought there would have been more symptoms if the switch didn't work.

Is there another circuit for the air-con?

Many. The air-con diagram is a whole page, with 21 cross linked components fed by six more fuses; it also needs the right pressure of gas at the triple switch to cut the pump in etc.
I have done some more checking and, there is power going to the AC switch. I very much doubt it has anything to do with pressure as it was all working before the switch packed in. No leaks, I guess this can be checked by bypassing the switch on the gas bottle.
I have cross checked the relays on the front grill by swapping them around with little success. Checked all visible fuses, two sets under bonnet and under the dash on the drivers side.

Is the wiring diagram the same for the later 405's?

Similar; but on a 406 you have 3 ECU's controlling the A/C; the panel, the A/C temp module and the cooling control module. [The fourth one, the heater blower control module, sound like it's functioning.]

Dash fuses 12, 15 and 19 and engine-bay fuses 4, 20 and 21.
1998 1.9TD Air Con Relay Location - injection doc
Air con relay is internal in the BIS unit under the dash. The only way to test the relay is to plug a diagnostic kit & use actuator mode to test relay. If the relay then fails the fault is in the BIS unit. I have peeled open the units before & piggy backed a new relay in with some fly wires. Do test the pump 1st. Put a feed down to the pump because the clutch coils are prone to failing.
i Doc
Is the BIS Unit the white relay with cooling vents?

Will get round to checking at the weekedn now.

Thanks for your help.

H
1998 1.9TD Air Con Relay Location - nomis
Hi, I have the same problem on my 406 & am thinking of opening the BSI with a view to fixing the relay. The problem is this: I can find no mention of where the relay is situated inside the BSI.
Do you have a component diagram or know where I can download one?
many thanks,
simon
SNIPQUOTE!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/08/2008 at 19:22

1998 1.9TD Air Con Relay Location - injection doc
the BSI is a sealed unit & it doesn't have a removable relay. My pal made up a template to locate the relay from the external cover & then we break a hole in the plastic moulding & piggy back wires off the cuircuit board where the relay is located!. Its not a DIY job unless you have an old unit first to experiment with. Its a pointless excercise if the previous points I mentioned haven't been checked first.
i Doc
thanx injection doc,
I HAVE checked everything else (as has my a/c guy) we have actually got the a/c going with a bypass switch direct to the compressor clutch (via a pressostat!)
I am confident enough to cut open the BSI & solder in a piggyback relay but 1st i need to find the actual location on the PCB of the relay!
I also need some info on what relay to use to replace? (operating voltage)
can you give me any info on this please?
Simon
Anyone?
1998 1.9TD Air Con Relay Location - carz
Hi Injection doc,

Can you tell me how to open up the BSI unit. The plastic seems to be seal so tightly, it is very difficult to open without breaking it.

Are there any special ways of doing this ?
1998 1.9TD Air Con Relay Location - 406
I have a Peugeot 406, petrol engine; sedan. I found help from internet myself:

olemartin.bratene.net/?p=86

www.motor-talk.de/forum/reparaturanleitung-relais-...9
(German, 8 pictures).

You need some skills and knowledge about disordering & soldering. Be aware, you can destroy electronics if it is not handled correct (ESD -Electrostatic Discharge).

www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=peugeot_bsi...e

I have also answered the same here:
www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=289975

I replaced the A/C relay a few days ago. My problem was that the A/C compressor did not start, because this faulty relay.
1998 1.9TD Air Con Relay Location - Peugeot406lover

Thanks for these links!! Came across this thread today as i had my compressor stop working suddenly, i found the links and pictures in them very useful. Hope you are doing good after all these years

Edited by Peugeot406lover on 27/08/2018 at 20:28