00 1.6 Engine Rattling Sound - Video in post. - Ninja2111
Hi all, my sons Astra (1.6 16v 44k) is making a bad rattling sound. he took it into Vx main dealer but they told him to bring it back when it gets worse - not something I want to do.

The Vx techy said it might be the alternator tensioner but I'm worried in case it's more serious (water pump etc). The noise is coming from the belt side but I can't work out if it's from the top or the bottom of the engine.

A family member poured water over the alt belt and the sound went away and was running smooth until a couple of hours later (probably dried out).

It's been booked in to Vx for a cam belt kit change on Saturday but I'm not sure if I should change the water pump too - son can only afford a cheapy new one from ebay rather than the £100+ Vx part.

Here's a link to a video I took of the problem (I removed the cam cover) oh and ignore the train going past at the start of the video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QdeSe8I_Ac

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Ninja

Edited by Pugugly on 05/05/2008 at 21:54

00 1.6 Engine Rattling Sound - Video in post. - Peter.N.
Novel! Sounds like something with teeth or fins on it, making contact with something stationary. Check that nothing is touching any of the cam belt sprockets or the fins on the alternator pully.
00 1.6 Engine Rattling Sound - Video in post. - roosterbooster
100% slack cambelt tensioner mainley worst when engine cold re-tension/replace cambelt kit
00 1.6 Engine Rattling Sound - Video in post. - oilrag
The top right pulley seems to be split. Surely not? is it a trick of the light or something?

00 1.6 Engine Rattling Sound - Video in post. - topbloke
this is for the the cam sensor so it knows when to fire the plugs and being able to read a missfire, which belt was the water poured on to cam or alt/aircon have you tried disconecting alt belt what was the out come still noisey or noise gone ?