1997 1.5d water loss - guzzi
Any body confirm what i think but before i rush into a head strip?my wifes little 106xld is drinking water at the rate of half a pint every week,no external leaks,no smoke or steam and it runs sweetly.Is this a head gasket problem,by the way its the alloy head model.
1997 1.5d water loss - Pugugly
Faulty coolant reservoir cap ?
1997 1.5d water loss - madf
Agree with Pug
Radiator caps go... go for a fast run at 70 for 10 miles and pull in and leave it running. If radiator cap is at fault it will be obvious from water being ejected.

But:
check radiator. these corrode badly if incorrect antifreeze mix... stains at bottom or top will be visible. New radiator on ebay quite cheap.

check bleed screws on cooling system are not seeping.
Check all hoses and connections for leakage... (I had that on a BMW - when hot the water leak evaporated and could not be seeen.. had to leave it until engine cooled to see fluid seeping from a badly secured hose.)

The hose clips at the bottom corrode badly from road salt and may have broken.

Check for water pump leaks.

Edited by madf on 03/05/2008 at 07:47

1997 1.5d water loss - Peter.N.
If water is being ejected either via the cap or overflow pipe, assuming the water is at the correct level, the most likely suspect is the head gasket.
Thanks for the info chaps but its not the cap or bleed screw and as i said there are no external leaks,none,rads fine and nothing on the floor, ever.Dry as the proverbial.Thats why its weird,if it was a petrol engine I think it would be easier to form a diagnosis but Diesels,I dont have any expeirience.
1997 1.5d water loss - TurboD
Head cracked?, diesels suffer this far more than petrols- it is the incredible compression ratios. Is there coolant 'bubbling' through expansion bottle?
Hope it is more minor, but I have had this vanishing coolant trick and it was cracked head.
No its not ,this is the prob it doesnt follow any of the normal things associated with head gasket or cracked head.This is why i dont want to dive in and strip the head off,you need to know what your looking for before you get in there.