1989 3.5 Flat Spot - zx7rr
HI ALL i have a 535i sport bmw.since owning it i have felt it does not perform as it should,i had it code read and it showed throttle pentiometer.the car goes well to around 2500 rpm then no matter what you do with the throttle it just slowly revs not the usual bmw woosh.

the car is fly by wire i have been told when you turn the ignition on with the bonnet open and press the throttle pedal you can see the butterfly move but only a small amount.is this normal???. any help woyuld be cool

phil

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/05/2008 at 22:27

1989 3.5 Flat Spot - Screwloose
phil

I don't recall these being fly-by-wire?? I recall a very obvious throttle cable?

Does the vane in the volume air sensor move smoothly across it's full travel? Does this one have a cat fitted? [The engine code will tell.]
Hi screwloose.

thanks for the reply my car is fly by wire the position sensor is on the throttle pedal,this sends a signel of around 1 to 7 volts to the throttle body.this i no cause i have had it out today.the throttle body has a motor fitted to it that i guess via electronic wizardry converts that signal into movement somehow.anyway its broken.my test on the throttle showed it is sending the a signal this somehow is not being turned into full throttle movement again i guess.so i have on the hunt for a complete throttle body if anyone has one.

phil
1989 3.5 Flat Spot - Screwloose

Can you confirm that the year is 1989 and the engine code? M30 B35M; 34 6 EC or KB? Bosch Motronic 1.1/3?

I still can't find any fly-by-wire set-ups on an E34. Could this be retro-fit?
HI AGAIN yes the car is 1989 engine code not sure but the chassis number is wbahd12010bf00859 if that helps.bosch ecu for sure. with out doubt this was factory fitted everything is to hmmm bmw not to be,i have searched the net and a few 535i sport were fitted with fly by wire or so some sites say.
1989 3.5 Flat Spot - Hamsafar
I used to own a G reg one many moons ago, and that had a throttle cable, so yours may differ, but I did have problems with the airflow meter wearing out, it was a mechanical flap which operated a potentiometer, the track on that had worn down to nothing in places, this would make the car feel like an older carburettored car when the choke is pushed in while the engine is not hot, I could pop the black plastic square lid off the AFM to see. Good luck! The engine code of mine was M30B35.
i have looked at that all seems good to me tracks are in good condition and vane is opening correctly.first thing i need is a new throttle body but would appear they are rare.i also need to get the specs for pentometer so i can test it properly once i have that i can begin to sort this fault out.i have used an ammeter on it and nothing seems amis but i dont no what it should show in terms of output.

thanks for the reply

phil
just found out this part is known as a dk type throttle and is rare