07 1.8 VVT Fuel consumption - any experience? - drivewell
Toying with idea of changing my 05 plate Mondeo 130bhp TDCi for a '57' plate Vectra 1.8 VVT SRi.

Around town running in the Mondeo typically gives me 37-38mpg, although this rises quickly if a bit of distance work gets thrown in.

I'm doing about 15,000 miles a year so, BIG QUESTION......

What am I likely to see day to day from the 1.8 VVT Vectra? OK, I know it won't pull from low revs like the Mondeo, but the VVT engine is supposed to be quite torquey low down.

So, if I go back to petrol, how big a hit will I take?
07 1.8 VVT Fuel consumption - any experience? - TheOilBurner
Not sure about real world fuel economy of the 1.8 VVT (only test driven them), but are you sure that's the best choice of engine in the Vectra?

The 2.2 Direct still gives just as good economy (official figures at least) but it is a much better engine. We have it in the Zafira and we've been very pleased with it.

The 1.8 might look nearly as powerful on paper, but in the real world it's rubbish. It has to reach the VVT zone before it moves (very high in the revs), below that it has nothing. Whereas the 2.2 pulls cleanly and smoothly all through the rev range, making it much more enjoyable to drive.

After coming from the Mondeo TDCI 130, the Vectra 1.8 will seem poor, the 2.2 will be far more tolerable.

Try both and see what you think.

BTW, our Zafira has the old 4 speed auto box (the Vectra comes with a nicer 6 speed unit), but even with the auto had the poorer aerodynamics than the Vectra, will still average about 30mpg. I reckon a Vectra with a manual box would be closer to 40mpg.
A friend with the old 1.8 Vectra (no VVT) gets mid-30s mpg, but he has cane it everywhere in order to get it to move!

Edited by TheOilBurner on 03/05/2008 at 11:17

07 1.8 VVT Fuel consumption - any experience? - Dynamic Dave
BTW our Zafira has the old 4 speed auto box (the Vectra comes with a nicer 6 speed unit)

Only the 2.8 turbo, 1.9CDTi (150ps) & the 3.0CDTi have the 6 speed autobox.
The 2.2 has the 5 speed auto box.

All engines (with the exception of the 1.8VVT) have the 6 speed manual box.

www.who-sells-it.com/images/catalogs/1375/pdf_5194...f

07 1.8 VVT Fuel consumption - any experience? - gabble
The 1.8 VVT isn't a smooth or refined engine. You will have to work it very hard to get the kind of progress that is easy with the diesel mondeo. Although the 130bhp TDCI isn't the quietest, it is nice to drive and responsive.

On the Vectra I'd be looking at one of the diesels again - from memory there is a 1.9 which is pretty punchy.

The Vectra is a massive car to be lugged about by a 1.8!!!

gabble
07 1.8 VVT Fuel consumption - any experience? - steveb
I agree - the 2.2 direct is probably the best compromise petrol engine if that's what you want - enough power and torque - without too much of an mpg penalty. At 15k miles pa a 130 diesel (or the 150 as I have) is probably the best choice despite the fuel prices.

The 1.8 is underpowered (test drove both petrol and diesel), not efficient, or smooth etc.

Steve
07 1.8 VVT Fuel consumption - any experience? - oldpostie
My 1.8 VVT normally gives about 38mpg. I have a steady run on dual carriageways to work, early morning, and some running in town, not heavy traffic. I filled up at 4 a.m. today, nice and cool, and it took 47.18 litres after covering about 410 miles. This is a 2006 petrol Vectra, with 27000 miles on it.
07 1.8 VVT Fuel consumption - any experience? - Rats
Mine has less than 3000 miles on the clock and is currently returning approx. 37 MPG on a mixture of journeys, including sitting in heavy traffic through roadworks.

With the currently lower price per litre for petrol, it seemed like a reasonable choice against a diesel that was going to cost a couple of £k more.
07 1.8 VVT Fuel consumption - any experience? - Marc
I've got a 2.0T Vectra on a 53 plate. I've been getting a steady 32.5mpg average since obtaining it at six months old. It's the SAAB LPT chain engine and has plenty of zip if you want it. However you will get stung on tax from next year. I was initially looking for a 2.2 when this car came up. The 2.0T is a good, proven engine.

I agree with previous comments, the 1.8 won't cut it coming from a diesel Mondeo.

Also, I'm sure you know but Vectra residuals will take a hit when the Insignia comes out in the summer...

Edited by Marc on 11/05/2008 at 23:48

07 1.8 VVT Fuel consumption - any experience? - John S
I've had several of the 1.8vvt Vectras on rent, and given them long runs on business trips. Zeroed the computer and found they deliver 38 to 40+ in that sort of use (backed up by the fuel fill up). Seriously impressed with that. Oddly, my Astra Sri with the 1.8vvt can't get anywhere near the Vectra consumption - best I've seen is 35.5 on a decent run, and I believe that's typical. However, it has lower gearing, much sharper throttle programming and generally feels quicker. I can only assume the Vectra aerodynamics are better than the Astra.

Annoyingly the vvt has worse fuel consumption than my previous Astra 'G' non-vvt 1.8!

JS