Downsizing - stunorthants26
Ive decided to chop my in for a Daihatsu Charade 1.0. It will be more cramped than my
van for my work gear but by removing the back seats and putting some boarding in there it will be enough.
The upside is £35 a year road tax against £180 and 57 mpg against 38 mpg, plus we will then use this car in pref to the Forester so that we can keep it for when we need it and be able to afford to keep it despite fuel price rises.

Seems to make sense moneywise atleast.
Downsizing - Chips with everything
I'm doing the same, albeit a little sooner (probably 12 months) than I would have done.

Mrs. Chips Vectra 2.2 petrol estate has got to go, not least because of the dodgy noises coming from the clutch on start up, but mainly due to the £300 'green' levy placed on it. It does no more than 6000 a year, but it's killing the planet.

Current contender is a Vauxhall Meriva 1.4 petrol - to run alongside the 530d which will now be used for family hols.

Couldn't go as far as yourself with the 1.0, I've tried but 6'4" of my frame - two nippers and SWMBO just doesn't fit - wish it did though!

Good luck - and good choice!
Downsizing - MichaelR
Current contender is a Vauxhall Meriva 1.4 petrol - to run alongside the 530d which
will now be used for family hols.

Please dont - I had one of these as a hire car through BMW Assist becuase they said I was too young for like for like and it was the worst car I've ever driven. I literally had to absolutely nail it simply to keep up with the traffic on a sliproad joining a dual carraigeway - it was absolutely ridiculous. Even maintaining a safe cruising speed on dual carriageways often required dropping into 4th gear, it's woefully underpowered.
Downsizing - tr7v8
Funnily enough the S-Type was in for a 75K service last Saturday & I specifically asked for a new 08 X-Type 2.2D Auto to have as a try out with a possible view to downsizing.
I soon made up my mind that I can't live with it, although my S is an SE & the X was a Premium Sport, a Sovereign X might be better. Although everyone who drove the X absolutely loved it & would have been happy to live with it.

We did have serious look at an XF & that is a strong possibility in the near future!

Mind you the service & 5-6 other jobs on the S-Type was £1,079!
Well ive done the deed. The cost to change was just £140 in the end inc 6 months tax, but considering y vans tax was up at end of the month, plus the fact that I was going to have £150 of bodywork done on it, im actually £100 up.

The Charade is such a zippy little car and the gearing certainly explains the economy figures - top gear isnt really useable until nearly 50 mph its so high. Its also only got 25k showing and feels fresh as a daisy on the road.
Its not as basic as the van though with PAS, C/locking, elec windows/mirros, cd player, ABS and airbag. Not bad for base model.
Only real thing i dont like - the colour - metallic lilac, but it really just looks like a purple/blue shade, but still, a lil feminine for my tastes personally. Still I can live with it.

Economy figures are: Urban 47.1, Ex Urban 68.9, Combined 58.9.
How close to these I can get I dont know but I will certainly try to get over 60.

Im looking at getting the rear windows tinted very dark to hide my work gear - anyone know how much this costs roughly?

Downsizing - fordprefect
The Charade is such a zippy little car and the gearing certainly explains the economy
figures - top gear isnt really useable until nearly 50 mph its so high.

>>
Stunorthants - My daughter recently got a 1.0 like yours, it's geared 23 mph per 1000 in 5th so 70 mph is only 3000 revs. The engine is the 3-cylinder Toyota VVT as in the Yaris/Aygo so should be reliable.
Economy figures are: Urban 47.1 Ex Urban 68.9 Combined 58.9.
How close to these I can get I dont know but I will certainly try
to get over 60.

She found she did a 400 mile round trip on A1/A14 and about 50 miles of local runs returning 58 mpg, she doesn't hang about either so 60+ mpg may be possible.
Downsizing - MikeTorque
Well done in making the switch to more economical motoring. I hope you have a lot of happy miles with a big smile on your face as you enjoy your new car.

I managed 74.3 mpg today, was passed by 3 cars all breaking the speed limit, I caught up with 2 of the cars several miles later both waiting at red lights !
That is very interesting, thanks for the info.

It really is a fantastic little car and having driven quite a few Ka's, I have to say, its far more lively and the interior space is really very good for the dimensions.
I did find that it picks up speed rather quickly and the exhaust note is very throaty, almost urgent - I was zipping along and realised i was touching 70 but it didnt sound more than 50!
What you drive Mike?

It has to be said, this downsizing is as much to preserve our ownership of our already much loved Forester as it is economy.
Of course though, I do loath the over-taxing of the motorist so I enjoy the sensation of beating the system as much as possible aswell. The system is based on few people being big enough to downsize, but they didnt count on me :-)
Downsizing - stuartl
>>>>>>Im looking at getting the rear windows tinted very dark to hide my work gear

Dont forget to tell the insurance company you are using the vehicle for business use.

Call me old fashioned but I firmly believe insurers will ALWAYS look for a reason not to pay and Mr Plod may well take an interest too.......
Well since my vans insurance covers for business use and I will just be changing the car, no need to as they just modify the existing policy.

No reason the police shuld be interested at all since the windscreen and front side windows will not be tinted and these are the windows legally required to transparent
( 70% isnt it ) whereas the back windows you can do what you like, otherwise you couldnt have say a Punto van with no rear side windows or a Transit with no rear window.
Downsizing - bazza
Interesting thread, the Charade is one of those alternatives that appeals to me, I tested the Sirion last year and was most impressed. What's happened to the new Charade, there's no listing on the Daihatsu website? Anyone know?
The new Charade is out later in the year. I talked to the salesman about it and he said the problem is at the moment, that importer cannot get them for much less than the Sirion so its too expensive against it. This is why Sirion prices have crept up recently in preparation.
Downsizing - stuartl
The point I was making was that the Police may target a person driving round in a car full of tools as they are probably unlikely to hold insurance that covers them for business use so are technically uninsured and can have the vehicle seized.
Just out of interest what is it that you do for a living?

I am a Project Manager for a national kitchen and bathroom company and if a potential new subby wants to work for us and operates out of the back of a car the answer from me is thanks but no thanks!
My insurance covers me to use it for business use but does not cover the value of the tools. Im a car valeter. They said that it is no problem that I carry the tools, just their value is not covered.
Downsizing - MikeTorque
Mine is a Focus 1.6 TDCi, excellent fuel economy. I like the cars that saver their fuel (rather than gulp it), they give lots of smiles to the gallon, and it sounds like you have such a car so enjoy it and keep smiling.
Downsizing - Pugugly
I think I should have downsize of the decade award though - BMW 535d to Skoda Roomster. Sometimes I can;t help wondering though.....
Downsizing - nick
You're a long time in that box six feet down, Pugugly. Life's too short to not enjoy it, if you can afford it. You know what you really want..... ;-)
Downsizing - Waino
You know what you really want..... ;-)>>

Maybe PU has a similar attitude to me - I'd rather spend the money on wine, women and song than overpay the oil barons, the BMW glass palacers and Alistair Darling ... ;-)
Downsizing - Westpig
PU,

How about a compromise. I drove the new BMW 325D the other day...now that was an impressive bit of kit. Unbelievably quick and the usual BMW refinements.

You can bung the furry exocet in the Landie or the Golf can't you.
Downsizing - Lud
Now I come to think of it my R type Bentley was straddled by two 2CV variants. It followed a Bijou and was followed in its turn by a Dyane. However the Dyane was new and cost more than the Bentley.

Wasn't as nice though all in all, although it had advantages.
Downsizing - Dipstick
I've just downsized from my Lexus LS430 to a Toyota Aygo. Do I win the biggest jump award?

Two tanks of fuel (petrol) so far. No computer so brim to brim measurements - 54 and 55mpg, including lots of commuting. Great to drive too. Happy bunny.

Downsizing - nick
This is depressing. Are we all going to end up in weeny buzzboxes? For heaven's sake at least have a V8 for weekends while they're still legal! :-)
Downsizing - Westpig
This is depressing. Are we all going to end up in weeny buzzboxes?

not the slightest chance of that from here
The Charade is not depressing to drive at all. Not only that, but because its urgent in the way it drives but not hugely fast its alot of fun to whizz around in.
There is nothing wrong with small cars at all so long as your self-image is secure and not based on what you drive - if I didnt feel secure, I sure wouldnt be driving a metallic lilac Daihatsu!
I actually bought the Daihatsu to enable me to retain our Forester for more occasional use.
This is the way its going, so it a case of get with the program or live with increasing costs.
Downsizing - Lud
There is nothing wrong with small cars at all so long as your self-image is
secure and not based on what you drive - if I didnt feel secure I
sure wouldnt be driving a metallic lilac Daihatsu!

>>

Cool stu...
Downsizing - nick
>>There is nothing wrong with small cars at all so long as your self-image is secure and not based on what you drive
Nothing wrong with my self-image, I just like powerful cars, nothing to do with the size of the car or anything else! In fact I'd love another mini (not a MINI). But there's nothing to beat the sound and feel of a really big V8 or six. I don't give two hoots what anyone thinks of me, I just love the sound and feel of them.
Downsizing - ForumNeedsModerating
There is nothing wrong with small cars at all so long as your self-image is secure and not based on what you drive - if I didnt feel secure, I sure wouldnt be driving a metallic lilac Daihatsu!

Isn't this a business vehicle though? I gathered a while ago you were bemoaning the rise of the £5-car-valeters putting you out of business & were looking for ways to compete, expand & distinguish the service you offered as being more premium - is a lilac, window-tinted hatchback likley enhance the image you want to promote to clients? I rather wonder now whether all the useful help & tips in that thread really had any imapct...
Actually I have been discussing it with many of my customers who have also decided to downsize and ive not heard one negative comment yet. The idea of a vehicle which is enviromentally friendly appeals to many of my customers.

The key is not turning up in some tatty rustbucket, that would be wrong, but a clean, smart city vehicle is no bad thing. It also has so far induced a high level of sympathy from most of my male customers that ive been forced into something so, er, quaint.
Downsizing - Waino
The key is not turning up in some tatty rustbucket >>

....... but metallic lilac??? I think I'd rather be seen in a tatty rustbucket! ;-)

Actually, Stu, I concur with the points you are making about 'small is beautiful'. It's just that, with the old Mondeo, I've grown to feel comfortable with the 'tatty rustbucket' look.
I guess for me, small is beautiful because the beauty is how it makes motoring accessible financially again, rather than it feeling like a strain everytime I fill up with petrol. That and small cars are alot of fun to drive when they have peepy 3 cyl engines.

Metallic lilac sounds bad but in truth, it looks blue from most angles, if it had been really lilac I dont think I could have done it as I want to be taken just a little bit seriously!
And, while it may sound a littel cliche, but 75% of my customers are female, who all adored my Reliant Rialto and seem to think the Daihatsu is a fab idea.

Downsizing - Lud
Lexus LS430 to a Toyota Aygo. Do I win the
biggest jump award?

Certainly not. I do, so far (4.5 litres to 602 cc). Of course someone is sure to come up with Bugatti Royale to Goggomobil soon.

I'm afraid the Bentley probably drank more than your Lexus though and the Dyane certainly drank more than your Aygo. But time has moved on.
Downsizing - Baskerville
Seconded. I had one of these as a hire car in Germany a few years ago and it was appalling. At first I put its lack of low rev grunt down to my being used to driving diesels, but in the end I realised it was just gutless. An awful experience. In contrast the 1.2 Punto I hired a few months later was great fun and well able to keep up, even on Spanish motorways. The amount of room inside was about the same.
Downsizing - oilrag
Wow ! No warning on that one Stu ;) , I thought you liked to debate options a bit before deciding? (that recent 60+ post advice response on improving your business)
Anyway, Wishing you enjoyment with your new car ;)
Just a thought. What about pulling a small box trailer instead of taking the back seat out and blanking the side windows?
Regards

The cas there, seemed too good to pass up. Besides, the misses I had been discussing it for a few weeks but werent sure what to do.
Im not blanking the rear windows out, just tinting them dark. A trailer is impractical as I have alot of small driveways to get in and a few narrow passages that would be rather arkward, not to mention I have nowhere to store the trailer.
Downsizing - darnsarf
I've just downsized to a bigger car..

Previous one was a Lexus IS200, approx 30 mpg on motorway commute, approx £200 annual ved. New one is a VW Passat estate PD130, approx 50 mpg so far, £145 annual ved, much pokier and more fun to drive plus all that extra space for taking stuff to the tip.. Filling up today from almost empty cost me £62 and should give me over 600 miles range.
Downsizing - Alby Back
I have not so much downsized as "downbranded". Downsizing was not a practical option due to my need for loadspace. Until approximately ten years ago I managed to convince myself that my customers would be more impressed and that I would be more fulfilled, if I arrived in something German or maybe Swedish and so called "premium". I took a decision to switch to mainsteam cars quite a long time ago now and have had no regrets. Strangely enough the business has gone from strength to strength ( despite being based on the edgiest edge of the fashion industry ) oh, and none of my friends or neighbours stopped speaking to me either! Various models have come and gone but for me the perfect solution in terms of usefulness, running cost, reliability and affordability has turned out to be a Mondeo TDCi estate. It is frankly no less pleasureable to drive than many of the more expensive bits of kit I have previously had and the money I have saved has allowed me to do some other things which I now regard as far more important.
Downsizing - Avant
Very good point, Shoespy. The message being given to those of your customers who notice what car you're driving (probably a minority) is that you've chosen a sensible car that's right for the job.

If I lived nearer to Northampton I would probaby use Stu's services as from his posts he is clearly someone trying to build up a business through good service, and hopefully word-of-mouth recommendation. I wouldn't care what he turned up in as long as he came when he said he would and did a good job on the car (I'm sure he does both). Indeed if he (or Shoespy) came in a new BMW or Mercedes I might wonder if he earned it through overcharging.

Incidentally my current VW follows a Mercedes, and before that an Audi: if anything more people have commentated favourably on the Golf (perhaps because the Mark V estate is a new model) than the other two put together.

Edited by Avant on 07/05/2008 at 21:26

Downsizing - smokescreen
What gets me most about these premium brands is the amount of debt (!) people take on just to get one in the first place, and end up doing jobs they hate just to keep the banks happy. I imagine them to be a bit like a heavy weight around your neck.

As for downsizing, I'm ok there. No need to downsize my Xsara HDi, has yet to return less than 47mpg (brim to brim) in mostly urban driving and 50+ on a run with ease. Was about to buy a Focus petrol , but couldnt stomach the petrol prices vs mpg back then, nevermind now!
Took delivery this morning of the lilac wonder and so far, very pleased.
It came with half a tank of fuel which should last a while, too just 15 mins for hand over and ive stuck 150 miles on it already.

On the colour - it seems to be having a strange effect on some women as I was asked out for a drink buy a random 20-something at the petrol station, she said the car certainly got her attention as shes not met many guys who can brave it with lilac metallic! I couldnt accept but still, its a first! I guess it backs up what has been said often, that girls are not impressed by big macho cars.

Ive had a quote of £120 inc to have the back windows tinted dark which sounded ok, anyone have any views on what a normal price should be? They are mobile and say it takes about an hour.

Easily the most gratifying thing about the car is that I feel, when driving along, that the daiseys are smiling at me, the trees are waving and I dont feel like driving is any longer a criminal offense. Ill be in my ivory tower if anyone wants me :-)
Downsizing - El Hacko
very entertaining, Brave StuNo, and it makes a great story: man buys lilac metallic car and pulls a girl! Probably not worth blacking out the windows so further attractions can see you in all your glory
Downsizing - MikeTorque
Stu, I really liked reading your reply today. Glad you like the new motor, and what a pleasant surprise at the gas station.

I'll pass on your experience a mate of mine who has a charcoal coloured A3 he thinks is cool and the women love it (not), he hasn't had a date in years and is still single (pride !). Oh and for the Porsche brigade out there, most women can't stand the things, they reckon they look ugly.

Happy motoring and keep smiling stu.

Thanks Mike, it was kinda surreal at the pumps, its not like I was dressed to thrill ( vest top and shorts ), but my misses just said if it happens again, we are spraying the car!
( joking I think ). She loves the colour herself so im sure 'Larry' is safe.

A charcoal A3 is surely the best way to fade into the background?
I do have form for controversial cars though as I did drive a red Reliant Rialto for quite a while, which got just as much attention although mainly from people thinking it was cool rather than having any sex appeal!

Only thing ive noticed so far is that the brakes are a little rough feeling through the pedal, but the car has been sitting for a while so perhaps just needs a few miles.
Downsizing - ifithelps
So she's asked you out because of the colour of your supermini (steady)?

And I thought men were shallow.

PS. Where's this garage?
I dont think it was because of the colour as much as because of what it says about the person driving a car which is not obviously masculine.

Garage was at Morrisons, Northampton, go try your luck! :-)
Downsizing - ifithelps
Garage was at Morrisons Northampton go try your luck! :-)

Stu,

Do you think a Focus would have this particular maiden swooning?

Perhaps you could ask, because it would be long way to go just to be knocked back.

Downsizing - Pugugly
hh
Downsizing - Aretas
I think it is good marketing for a one man company to have a vehicle that is talking point. It should get you more business.
Lets hope it does!
Downsizing - MikeTorque
Maybe Morrisons will commission you for the new introduction service niche you have discovered for them in the Northants area.
Maybe ill start hiring 'larry' out to single men when he needs petrol :-)
Downsizing - Paul Robinson
Ifithelps - I have posted this before ages ago, but when asked 'what sort of a car should a guy drive' my 23 year old daughter said 'a Focus or a polo'.
The problem with a Focus or a Polo is that they are pretty much wallpaper sorta cars, whereas the Charade is, well, an individual choice as they arent that common in any colour, depite being a rather competant car.
Downsizing - ifithelps
when asked 'what sort of a car should a guy drive' my 23 year old daughter said 'a Focus or a polo'.

Paul,

She sounds like my kinda of gal - and thanks for making me realise what a pulling asset I have parked on the driveway.

Cheered me up, for a Monday.

Downsizing - mattg1
Stu,

I'm moving up your direction over the next couple of months (exact location TBC!), and may need the services of someone in your trade, for our two cars.

Could you please drop me an email so we can discuss? What areas do you cover? Pricing etc?

Email address is in my profile.

Many thanks,
Matt