"11% reduction in fuel duty...." - PR {P}
I received an email from the government today, in response to an online petition I signed a while ago on fuel duty..... Wonder if it has anything to do with the pasting they got last night?

The Government's policy is that fuel duty rates should rise each year at least in line with inflation. This supports the Government's effort to reduce polluting emissions and assists with the funding of public services. In the Chancellor's 2008 Budget fuel duty rates were announced for future years, through to 2010-11. These increases are expected to result in carbon savings of 0.5 million tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) a year by 2010-11.

However, in the 2008 Budget the Chancellor also announced that the planned duty increase would be deferred for six months until October. The Government believes that this decision shows that it be responsive to short-term economic conditions.

Even after these changes duty rates in 2009 will still be 11% lower, in real terms (i.e. by making an appropriate adjustment to discount for inflation), than they were in 1999 - equivalent to a 7 pence per litre real reduction - and at the time of the Budget the real cost of motoring was still 13% lower than in 1999.

It remains the case that the retail price of fuel at the pump is ultimately a matter for retailers and their suppliers, and fuel duty is just one of a range of factors which determine the price paid by the motorist.

Edited by Pugugly on 02/05/2008 at 17:40

11% reduvtion in fuel duty.... - doctorchris
Just saw a pig fly past my window as I read your post.
11% reduvtion in fuel duty.... - madf
As the Government uses two measures of inflation: RPI and CPI - who wants to bet it used the higher one to calculate the price change year over years?

11% reduvtion in fuel duty.... - jc2
Lies,damn lies and statistics!!!
11% reduvtion in fuel duty.... - Roger Jones
There's a refreshingly good programme every week on Radio 4 questioning the numbers that are abused by politicians and others:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/more_or_less/
11% reduvtion in fuel duty.... - Robin Reliant
11% lower than 1999 prices in real terms? That I do not believe for one minute. They must think we all came down with the last shower.
11% reduvtion in fuel duty.... - paulb {P}
The thing that I find worrying and depressing in equal measure is that no doubt some folk sincerely believe this sort of drivel.
11% reduvtion in fuel duty.... - dxp55
I just looked out window and the pig has just made it to Shropshire.
11% reduvtion in fuel duty.... - b308
What inflation figure are they using, their's or the real one?!
11% reduvtion in fuel duty.... - bbroomlea{P}
You would think before they send this rubbish out that they do the math first! Several pigs have made it to the north east as well :-)

I signed an on line petition but dont have a response yet!
11% reduvtion in fuel duty.... - hxj

If you took the time to go to the websites for the Office for National Statistics and HMRC you would actually be able to demonstrate to yourself that the figures are correct.
11% reduvtion in fuel duty.... - Optimist
OK. But only if you accept the underlying assumption that prices inevitably increase over time. If you don't accept that should be the case (most people don't because it means you run just to stand still in economic terms) then you're still paying more whatever the relative position. And you're paying more for just about everything else too. Relative comparisons mean nothing to the bloke who puts his hand in his pocket and finds too little there to fill the petrol tank.
11% reduvtion in fuel duty.... - gordonbennet
I'm extremely envious, how come i still haven't recieved an acknowledgment to my e.mail to the chancellors office the day after the budget re. backdating of ved.

Do they have a reply reference ready reckoner to trot out the same boring spin year in and out? Are all politicians now really pre programmed and thoughtless androids, spouting the same doctored rubbish, no difference between any of 'em regardless of their allegiance.

Several of the pig squadrons flew low over the A14 early this afternoon too.
11% reduCtion in fuel duty.... - jbif
If you took the time .... you would actually be able to demonstrate to yourself that the figures are correct.

How true. But then you are assuming that people have the skills to do simple sums and then understand the concept of "real" prices. As you and I know, 95% of the people in the UK are poor at simple Arithmetic and the remaining 10% cannot be bothered to check figures given to them. [spot the deliberate mistake].

I have seen so called "economics" journalists on BBC calculate payback times for domestic wind turbines and heat pumps, and their complete lack of understanding of the concept of "discount rates" or "real rates of return" is shocking.