100hp or eleganza, any use on Motorway? - john96
Guys, are any of these models any use as my new job involves occasional long Mway trips but I quite fancy one of these as an affordable newish alternative to an older Japanese model
thanks!

Edited by Pugugly on 01/05/2008 at 22:31

fiat panda 100hp or eleganza, any use on Mway? - paulb {P}
100 HP is great in terms of performance, but for motorway use you may find the gearing a bit short (70 in 6th = 3,250 rpm) depending on how fast you like to go, the ride might charitably be described as being on the firm side and with a 35 litre tank you're looking at filling it every 250 miles at most. I love mine, though - absolute hoot to drive :-)

Eleganza will be more comfortable in terms of ride, and with better economy, but in 1.2 form not as quick - Mrs B had a Dynamic with that engine before her present Multijet and it must be said that the Multijet is better on motorways.

Spec on both of those will be good - climate control is standard and the 100HP has built-in Bluetooth (not sure whether the Eleganza does - it may well do)

Multijet diesel is very good for motorway trips (we have one in Dynamic spec with the a/c pack) and will do 60 mpg without difficulty, but I can't recall whether they do that engine in Eleganza spec.
fiat panda 100hp or eleganza, any use on Mway? - P3t3r
100 HP is great in terms of performance but for motorway use you may find
the gearing a bit short (70 in 6th = 3 250 rpm) depending on how
fast you like to go the ride might charitably be described as being on the
firm side and with a 35 litre tank you're looking at filling it every 250
miles at most. I love mine though - absolute hoot to drive :-)

I would expect it to do a lot more than 250 motorway miles on a tank, unless it's very thirsty. I would expect at least 300 motorway miles from a tank.
fiat panda 100hp or eleganza, any use on Mway? - seasiders rock
last trip to london in my 100 hp i got 38 mpg according to computer. did,nt hang about either, camden town to blackpool in 3 hours 30 mins. ride is on the hard side, and on poor motorway surfaces quite a bit is fed back through steering wheel, it can be tiring.
fiat panda 100hp or eleganza, any use on Mway? - P3t3r
last trip to london in my 100 hp i got 38 mpg according to computer.
did nt hang about either camden town to blackpool in 3 hours 30 mins. ride
is on the hard side and on poor motorway surfaces quite a bit is fed
back through steering wheel it can be tiring.

It really is thirsty! 38mpg on a long journey is shocking compared to its published numbers. The published figures seem to be meaningless. I would expect at least 50mpg on a long journey.
I would expect it to do a lot more than 250 motorway miles on a
tank unless it's very thirsty. I would expect at least 300 motorway miles from a
tank.

If you ran the tank down well into the red with the light on, you could probably manage that - but I tend to fill up just before it gets to the red and so 250 miles is about it. I accept that driving style may have a part to play here, but IMO this is not really a car for mimsing.

This may well improve as it runs in - still only 1,500 miles on it, so the consumption cannot really be said to have stabilised just yet.
fiat panda 100hp or eleganza, any use on Mway? - doctorchris
250 miles on a tank, that's great compared with my Panda 4x4 with similar economy to the 100HP but a tiny 30 litre tank. I rarely risk more than 220 miles before I stop for fuel.
Presume the tank's smaller than standard because of the need to fit a rear diff underneath the back end, then?

Thing is with the 100HP, though, is that it really isn't something you buy for excellent mpg - in my case I bought one because I wanted something new and fun and this provided both for a nudge under £9k, with very low overall running costs (for example, insurance for me is £200 pa).

The fact that I no longer have the sword of Damocles that is Mondeo TDCi longevity hanging over me is an added bonus, as is the fact that my Panda runs very well on standard unleaded, as opposed to the Ultimate Diesel (currently retailing hereabouts for £1.27 a litre) that was necessary for best results with my Mondeo.

And also, if I want mega mpg I pick up the keys to Mrs B's Panda Multijet on the way out the front door, which will do 400 miles on about 30 or so litres without even trying.

fiat panda 100hp or eleganza, any use on Mway? - seasiders rock
just an update on the panda 100mpg figures. 150 mile round trip to the wirral this morning, mix of A and motorway, couple of spurts up to 90 mph on M6 to clear trucks etc. mostly stuck between 60-70 and trip on return showing 44.9 mpg. it,s definitely improving as the engine loosens up.