1998 1.9TDI Driver door lock problem - carlover
Hello,
My driver's side door lock will not unlock at all. The problem is the whole lock seems to be turning when I rotate clockwise or anti-clockwise...i.e there is no stop (usually I can only turn the key so far and it wont go any further but now the whole thing seems to be spinning. I can lock/unlock the car ok from the boot as the boot and doors are all connected it seems!

Has anyone seen this before?

THANKS,
CARLOVER
1998 1.9TDI Driver door lock problem - andyl999
We have the same car in our Company, with the same problem!

On closer investigation it was caused by someone trying to force an entry by using an impact srewdriver, they apparently can sometimes break the lock and gain entry that way?

Andy :0)
1998 1.9TDI Driver door lock problem - carlover
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the thread.

Yes I do recall I had this problem when I parked in a long term car park ovr a wkend!

That was my 2nd lock (1st lock wouldnt close the door-got faulty)..looks like i'll be going for three in a row!

Is there any hope i could get it fixed in a garage witthout shelling out for a new one again?

The door still opens & closes and can be locked from the boot!
1998 1.9TDI Driver door lock problem - dsflake
Carlover,

I too had this problem on my VAG vehicle and obtained a repair kit for less than 18 quid from a popular internet auction site.

Fitting involves removal of the exterior door handle, in many cases this can be done without removing the door liner. You then replace a spring collar clip and rod with the one in the kit to the back of the lock on the handle. It is a bit fiddly but not too daunting took me an hour but I had mislaid the instructions which came with the kit otherwise it would have been a 30 minute exercise.

You get to keep the lock and origional key which is a bonus.

Good luck

DSF