Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - TootToot
Hi Everyone - I've just bought a second-hand Honda Jazz from a local Honda dealer. Have today realised that the petrol cap and the flap over it do not lock - anyone can open them! Does anyone happen to know if this is legal? It certainly seems daft to me. I think, and assume, that the flap did lock at some point but has been broken since it was new. Many thanks!
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - L'escargot
I think and assume that the flap did lock at
some point but has been broken since it was new.

Does it have a keyhole?
No it doesn't have a keyhole. On reading the handbook it says to pull up the driver's 'tab' to release the petrol cap!?
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - Number_Cruncher
It's perfectly legal, although somewhat unusual. It sounds like the locking mecahnism is stuck, or broken.

Thank you. Was eager to find out whether it was legal or not. Will endeavour to either have the 'tab' and flap fixed or see if a lockable petrol cap can be fitted.
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - normd2
the last two cars I've had have a metal pin which locks the flap that retracts with the central locking, another has a small lever on the floor beside the driver's seat to release the flap - have a look around the inside of the petrol cap aperture to see if there's anything there.
Thank you. Had a look yesterday - nothing on the floor (used to have a Honda CRV and the lock was there) and it looks as though there used to be a bit on the inside of the flap.
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - Cliff Pope
Why would it need to be lockable ? Isn't there a mesh filter deterring thieves?
Even if it is, I am told the easy way to steal petrol is to punch a hole in the tank and hold a can underneath.
I wasn't really thinking about somebody stealing the petrol. More that it just seems irresponsible to have a car with an easily accessible tank of petrol. Bored kids could put anything in it?
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - jc2
For the past few years,the cap must be lockable or have a lockable flap;this is a legal requirement but it will not apply to old vehicles tho' it has been in force for many years now;it appears the flap on your vehicle was originally unlocked from inside the vehicle-this was one means of complying with the law.
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - christo
The Honda Jazz has a locking petrol cap supplied with the car. It is opened with the door/ignition key. If the car does not have one it has been replaced because the original has been lost or broken. Is the new cap a replacement?
The plastic cover to the petrol cap was never lockable and not designed for release from the inside of the car.

Hope this helps!
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - pmh

Taken from MoT Manual on line at www.motuk.co.uk/

Requirement

Check fuel tank cap for positive fit and condition of sealing washer and flange.

Reasons for rejection
a. Fuel tank cap does not fasten securely
. by a positive means, and
. such that pressure is not maintained on the sealing arrangement

b. fuel cap sealing washer torn, deteriorated or missing, or a mounting flange/sealing method defective such that the leakage of fuel is possible.

Nothing requiring locking! for MoT purposes

Does construction and use have anything different???

pmh
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - ukjazz
All UK Jazz arrived with lockable cap - used via the central locking
Just take your vehicle back to the friendly dealer, they can recitify FOC
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - doctorchris
Our 2003 Jazz has a locking fuel cap that is unlocked with the ignition key. If you look at the flap it seems as if it could incorporate an internal release of some sort. Maybe in some markets this is the case but for the UK Honda thought a more secure system wolud be better.
As regards no lock at all, nearly all New Fiat Pandas are like this, a cause of great debate on www.fiatforum.com , and it is not a MOT issue.
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - L'escargot
Bored kids could put
anything in it?

More likely to sniff it these days.
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - jc2
Does not have to be lockable fot Mot or C&U but does to be sold as new car.
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - craig-pd130
Not lockable on the new Mondeos, there's no cap either!
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - Stroudie
I am afraid Christo is in error on this one.
I have a 54 plate Jazz.
The internal screw-in cap does not lock, nor is there a release lever inside the car, like some older Japs, eg Toyota Corollas, and my old Perodua Kelisa.
The outer plastic flap locks with the central locking.
Stand by the fuel flap and unlock the car with the plipper.
Then open the flap. If you then lock the car again with the plipper you will see a metal bolt shoot out from the rear of the opening, just above a large screw head.
There is a flimsy plastic "socket", into which the bolt locates in the outer flap, but it would be easily broken by someone trying to get into the tank, but this would probably leave scratches on the bodywork if it had been "screw-drivered".
Hope this helps.
Some BRs seem to wonder what is the attraction of the Jazz.
Well, I had a Focus Auto as a courtesy car while ours had a front wing replaced (100% other driver fault)-it had no more legroom front and back.It was only 2" wider across the front doors,the boot was only 2" longer at floor level, but it was lower where the back window slopes down.
The back seats actually fold completely flat on the Jazz, and you have the cinema style magic seats as well.
All this in a car about 15" shorter,i.e. a better packaged design.
The ride is no harder than the Focus or an Astra , in my experience, and of course, the Jazz has enough headroom so you can wear yer flat 'at all the time.
Also,if you look at HJ's figures for the Kuga the Jazz has 7 litres less boot room with seats up, and only 32 less with the seats down-not much advantage really.
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - Bill Payer
I am afraid Christo is in error on this one.
I have a 54 plate Jazz.
The internal screw-in cap does not lock

He's not wrong - clearly Honda changed the design. Our 53 plate Jazz (owned from new) has an ignition key operated locking fuel cap, and the flap isn't secured by the central locking.
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - doctorchris
Agree, looks like somewhere between 2003 and 2004 the specification has been changed. Was this to save money, for several reasons maybe. A locking cap is not expensive, but to make sure that particular cap matches the ignition key and stays with the same car throughout the manufacturing process, that costs money.
The flap that opens with the central locking is a pain. If nobody else is in the car I like to lock it when I fill up and go to pay. Also, if your key is in the cap, it's hard to forget torefit the cap as you drive away.
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - Stroudie
My apologies to Christo-I stand corrected.
The key operated lock in the internal cap seems like a better option-I wonder why it was changed-Would it not have been more expensive to put the shoot-bolt on to the outer flap?-and it's less secure.
Does a petrol cap have to be lockable? - retgwte
lockable fuel caps are definitely not a legal requirement

brand new fiat pandas for instance come with fuel cap that doent lock, although most owners seem to buy a lockable one as an add-on straight after purchase