Doggy smell - Benet
I have had my 2004 Panda since January, it's pretty clean but I cannot get rid of a doggy smell inside. It's particularly noticeable when the car's been parked in the sun. It's got ordinary cloth seats and carpet, no visible marks or stains. I have scrubbed the seats clean with upholstery cleaner. Any ideas anyone?
Doggy smell - oilrag
Perhaps its a job for a valeter . There are at least two on the forum so stand by ;)

Doggy smell - bathtub tom
I've seen recomendations about a bowl of vinegar left in the car overnight, and similarly with grass cuttings (just make sure it doesn't come from a dogs' toilet area).
Doggy smell - oilrag
Perhaps take the seats and carpets out and jet wash them with about 50 gallons of water and shampoo?
I did something like that to an old learner Polo that with its previous owners used to carry a puking baby and its siblings.

Smell went completely. Done on a hot summers day but still needed to sit on dustbin bags for a while, however it was a sub £1,000 car so little risk.

Edited by oilrag on 29/04/2008 at 16:08

Doggy smell - Lud
Even though pandas are herbivores, their appearance strongly suggests that they might smell a bit doggy. It must be the car.
Doggy smell - Mapmaker
Leave the windows open.

I believe a bounce fabric conditioner left in the car improves the smell.

Whatever you do, don't try Febreze. It smells worse than the dog.
Doggy smell - barchettaman
Wet&dry extractor vac, 40 quid from Lidl or Aldi.
Do all over the car including the headlining, carpets, under the seats, all seats and the boot.
Alternatively get a pro in. Detailing World will have a member near you who will do it.
Doggy smell - oldnotbold
Do you have a lawn, and a mower? Grass-clippings are said to be good t removing/adsorbing odours. Suggest you put them on an old sheet/towel in the car with the back seat down. Leave overnight.
Doggy smell - Screwloose

Buy a dog.
Doggy smell - oilrag
Get a dog to check the car out to see if there was ever `a deposit` ;)

Sorry for the humour. Where is Stu?

Edited by oilrag on 29/04/2008 at 18:22

Doggy smell - robroy
Try wiping lemon juice over all soft trims - this will rid you of the problem for good, and leave you with a sweet smelling motor car.
Doggy smell - zookeeper
are you sure the smell isnt in fact coming from the cat?...:)
Doggy smell - Dynamic Dave
Is the smell noticable when you open the doors, or only once you've started the car? If the latter, and has a pollen filter - when was it last changed?
Doggy smell - Tomo
Get a dog?
Doggy smell - Billy Whizz
Do you keep an eye on the coolant (anti-freeze) level under the bonnet? If it is weeping from the heater matrix under the dash, some people call the resultant musty smell "wet dog".

Do you have air conditioning? Sometimes there is a fungal infection (or bacterial) of the evaporator fins under the dash due to the humid environment - mild cases can be treated with a can of spray from your local factor. Serious cases require professional attention.

Is your ventilation system set permanently on recirculation? This can cause mustiness to build up.

Do you get condensation on the inside of the windscreen (or any glass) at any time? This could indicate a water leak which could be rotting your carpet or upholstery.

What do passengers identify the smell as being? Do they agree it is dog or just musty? Did the previous owner have a dog?
Doggy smell - doctorchris
I agree with DD's suggestion to change the pollen filter, though you will only have one if you have A/C or climate control. If you need to replace it you will find it tricky as it's accessed down by the clutch pedal and the steering column and you will need to find a 5.5mm socket or spanner.
Doggy smell - stunorthants26
Doggy smell is one of the hardest of all smells to get rid of. If it is bad and conventional efforts dont get it gone, you have to scrub every interior surface, including under the seats, remove trim esp in the area dog has ridden and scrub every surface with hot water and a strong cleaner, try Fairy Liquid even.
The headlining can hold alotta smell but is thin and hard to clean. If you go over every surface, even the ones that you dont think need doing, it shoudl go some way to getting the smell gone.

It once took me 3 days to do this job on a Pug 406 estate