1996 1.0 - jumping out of 3rd gear - cliff
Hi,
My AX jumps out of 3rd gear no matter what load is on the engine, any ideas as to what may be causing it and what sort of cost will it be at a garage to repair?
Any help appreciated.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/04/2008 at 21:42

anyone?
1996 1.0 - jumping out of 3rd gear - Lud
Try to look under the rubber or leather gaiter at the bottom of the gearlever and check whether the lever is touching the bodywork, or nearly so, while in third gear.

I'm not specifically knowledgeable about the AX but when cars jump out of a particular gear it is often because the engine/gearbox have moved, usually owing to a damaged mounting, so that the bodywork fouls the lever in that position.

Some gear linkages are adjustable too. Look in your Haynes manual (and if you haven't got one, they're only a tenner).
Thanx Lud,

I'll check your points out.
1996 1.0 - jumping out of 3rd gear - Peter.N.
Has it gradually come to do this or has it started suddenly? a gradual progression would indicate gearbox wear, sudden onset could be a linkage problem or something broken in the gearbox
Hi Peter,

Can't answer that as I've only had it a short while, clock shows 70,000 miles so could be wear. I was wondering if it is a problem on AX's?
1996 1.0 - jumping out of 3rd gear - ChicksFan
Sometimes the gear linkage can foul on the air filter housing on the AX. My daughter had a gear selection problem on hers and we'd had the air filter off.