00 3.0 Tyres: Braking resistance problem? - car junky
My car had Bridgestone Potenza tyres at the front and I replaced these with Falken 452 as I read they were very good tyres and for the price, match high premium brand tyres.

However, after fitment of the Falkens, whenever I brake from high speeds (70+) to a stop (say at roundabout), the traction control kicks in and I can feel the brakes kick on and off feeling this thorugh the steering wheel. I never experienced these prior.

I had all my brake discs and pads replaced last year prior to changing the tyres.

Is this being caused by my new Falken tyres or trouble with the brakes? I have heard that different tyres have different braking resistance and ifso do I need to replace my front tyres to a premium brand with a harder compound, stronger side wall?

Any help on this would be appreciated
00 3.0 Tyres: Braking resistance problem? - John S
Won't be TC, sounds more like ABS. Only thing I can think is that there's a significant diameter difference between the front and rear tyres (combination of wear and different brands) which is confusing the ABS.

JS
00 3.0 Tyres: Braking resistance problem? - jc2
Rolling radii must be well different to trigger ABS;systems are designed to cope with mixtures of worn/new tyres.Have a closer look to make sure the ABS pick-ups were not damaged when tyres changed.
00 3.0 Tyres: Braking resistance problem? - gordonbennet
Have you had the tyres on long?

It could be the tyres are not yet bedded in, seems to take several hundred miles for the larger sizes to scrub the realeasing agent off.

If they are bedded in i would have thought you'd notice understeer in the wet as well as braking problems if it was inferior tyre issue.

Are the pressures too high on the fronts, most tyre fitters seem to put too much pressure in.

I thought i'd dropped a clanger when i put 2 bf goodrich's on the front of my trusty merc, nasty feeling of understeer for a while, then after about 4 weeks i realised it had gone and all is well again.
00 3.0 Tyres: Braking resistance problem? - topbloke
the only thing that will trigger an abs unit to kick in will be the sensors "seeing" a speed difference on one or more of the wheels if it is the abs is kicking in then i would expect to find a sensor ring damaged and the light would be on as soon as the wheels started turning because the speed is being seen at all times and not just under braking, best thing would be to get it booked in to someone that can deal with this type of problem
00 3.0 Tyres: Braking resistance problem? - Screwloose

BMWs are hyper-sensitive to rolling radii. It's not unusual to see quite a variance between ostensibly identical sizes from different brands.

On which end did they fit the new tyres - current thinking says that they should always go on the back.
00 3.0 Tyres: Braking resistance problem? - car junky
Hi Screwloose

Front tyres are 235/40/18
Back tyres are 265/35/18

New ones went onto front.

What is rolling radii and how does it affect the braking / abs system?

I have also heard of Disc Thickness Variation will this affect it as well?
00 3.0 Tyres: Braking resistance problem? - topbloke
you have odd size tyres, the profile size is different, the rolling circumferance will be different (the distance traveled in one complete revolution of the wheel) the bigger the tyre the greater the circumferance, the abs system mesures the speed of each wheel and just before the wheel locks up or a big difference in speeds of the wheels under braking if will release the pressure in the brake pipe on the wheel that is going slowest, then allows the preasure to go back to that wheel (on off effect) it does this many times a second, this is why the brake pedal pulses under your foot when braking
00 3.0 Tyres: Braking resistance problem? - jc2
But if they were as originally fitted,the control unit would have been programmed to cope with the different rolling radii(rolling radii is distance from centre of wheel to ground with vehicle loaded)-multiply this by 2 pi and you get rolling circumference.
00 3.0 Tyres: Braking resistance problem? - Dynamic Dave
Front tyres are 235/40/18
Back tyres are 265/35/18

5 mm diameter difference between the front and rear tyres isn't enough to upset the ABS system. New tyres have 7 to 8 mm of tread, and the legal wear limit is 1.6 mm. You do the math.