Avon Tyres - Marc
Hi all, got a tyre question. Our Galaxy is fitted with the original Michelin Pilots all round, they are an extra load re-inforced tyre apparrently. The front two need replacing but the Pilots aren't cheap at around £135 each. I've been offered some Avons at £80 instead. I know Avon are a good brand but are they going to be detrimental to the ride, handling of the car etc. compared to the Pilots. It's a second car that does about 8k pa on mainly urban runs incidentally.

Opinions please.

Thanks.
Avon Tyres - mikeyb
is it a new Gal or the VW/Ford one? We have a 2 year old sharan and that came fitted with Cotinentals - cant remember the exact type, but when they wore out at about 22K replaced with the same. Think I paid about £200 for the pair. Front now nearing replacement at 41K so getting about 20K out of the fronts and the backs have 5mm left.

Always taken the view that its worth paying a bit more for decent rubber especialy in the family vehicle. Sure others will argue that some of the cheaper brands are just as good though.
Avon Tyres - Alby Back
Hi Marc -

A couple of the online tyre retailers have sub-menu which gives an appraisal of the various tyre brands and their characteristics. Could be worth a look to see if the ones you are interested in are featured? ( Try Black Circles and My Tyres )

My own view is similar to Mikey's. I would just not skimp on tyres. For example if you take the comparison you mention and base it on an estimate of getting 20k miles or so out of these next ones, on your mileage that is about 2.5 years. Divide the extra cost by the time and it works out at about 80p a week extra to have the Michelins. The Avons may be fine, but if further research casts any doubt, I would go for something which either you know to be good, or is recommended by a trustworthy source.

I had a 2000 model year Galaxy some time ago and I also seem to think it had Contis on it. The circa £100 Mikey mentions sounds about right.

Tyres are getting jolly expensive though aren't they? Even the size to fit my humble Mondeo ( 205/50/17 ) are the price of a reasonable pair of shoes!
Avon Tyres - ifithelps
Put some Dunlops on the Focus, £90 each and they were noisy and didn't last long.

Four Avons at about £70 each have been quieter and are wearing a bit better.

Couldn't tell any difference with ride/handling, so it's Avons for me, regardless of price.
Avon Tyres - Marc
Thanks for the replies. It's an 05 plate Shalaxambra and it's done 21k. I've never owned any but I was under the impression that Avon was a midrange brand similar to Unroyal, Firestone etc. I wouldn't consider using budget tyres as such - haven't bought any of those since I was an impoverished student. I may seek out a compromise by way of Dunlop, Goodyear etc.

I personally don't skimp on tyres but I'm a bit loath to spend double on high performance rubber just for trips to school, shops etc if you catch my drift.

Avon Tyres - Marc
I wanted to update this thread that I started last month as I 'concluded' the issue today.

I had opted for the Goodyear Excellence for our 05 Galaxy. As I need xl/rf tyres I had to get them ordered in. Unfortunately the distributor delivered the wrong speed rating and they weren't re-inforced.

I wanted to get new tyres today so I went with the Avon ZV5s that I was originally offered. I can't really put them through a test as such as I got them fitted to the rear but they look to be a good quality tyre. Avon is now owned by Cooper Tire, a US company, but the bonus is that Avon tyres are actually still made in England - how about that!

I intend to get a pair for the front in a couple of months.

www.avon-tyres.co.uk/index.php?page=tyres&method=d...7

Edited by Marc on 31/05/2008 at 22:18

Avon Tyres - gordonbennet
Nothing wrong with Avons. Were fitted to top drawer British cars for many years as OE.

Despite sharp intakes of breath from brand conscious youngsters, my sons got them on his subaru, and they don't miss a beat, and don't take 3 laps of Silverstone to warm up.

I was going to ask why you had them fitted to the rear, then i thought better of it, then i lit the blue touch paper....incoming-;)