Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - oilrag
OK, its not going to happen, its possibly bluff on the refinery managers part and the Union. But just in case and for the sake of yet another different topic..........

A multi point question, more about the personal issues around potential fuel supply problems.

(given the current shutting down of the Grangemouth refinery and threats by others to make the situation worse)

1) What`s your plan if there are fuel restrictions?

2) What happened last time in 2,000 and will experiences from that mean a different approach?

3) What`s your range from a full tank

4) what are you definitely going to follow through with if restrictions get severe?

( I have a Ferry booked to France and just under a 270 mile trip to Dover)

Regards
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - Cliff Pope
I'm looking forward to a week at home in the garden.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - Statistical outlier
Use the car as little as possible, and drive at 60.

2) What happened last time in 2,000 and will experiences from that mean a different approach?
I didn't have any problems, drove slowly and had fuel to spare over the week.

normally about 600 miles, I reckon I could get 650-700 if I'm careful though.

4) what are you definitely going to follow through with if restrictions get severe?
If they get severe then I'll just not use the car until fuel becomes available again. I can't imagine that the govt would let it get to that point though.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - Alby Back
You know what, I might just take few days off and do something about my "jungle" aka back garden. I haven't had a day off in nearly a year including weekends and bank holidays etc. Even did a couple of hours on Christmas day. Like many of the self-employed I always seem to manage to find something which is urgent. However, if fuel is restricted my competitors will also be similarly inconvenienced and so for a short spell at least......to heck with it.......gardening gloves on!
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - Mapmaker
I filled up a week or two ago. As the last tank lasted me three months, I'll skip on filling my bath with Optimax.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - pendulum
It should not affect me if the pumps dry up as my car can work on 100% vegetable oil. If there is a genuine fuel shortage, the trucks delivering the vegetable oil to retailers might cease, but suppliers will run off existing stocks for a while and I'll have plenty of notice and time to stock up.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - glowplug
I'll go to the local Biodiesel supplier. Cheaper too.

I've no idea of the range because I've only just bought it but at a rough guess a month or so from a full tank.

Steve.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - hugopogo
1. Drive more economically... In a 1 litre car. Rueing the day the fella who designed it decided a 35 litre tank would be plenty.
2. I was a student in 2000 and I walked past all the queues on my way to uni in the morning. I wondered what all the fuss was about as I'd not driven for 5 years by then.
3. On a full tank I can do 4 work trips... 5 at a push... Plus trips to the shops.
4. If it continues... Blind panic?

I filled up last night because I was running on fumes... Pumps were as quiet as usual... 105.9p a litre which is a new record for me.

Unfortunately if things do get bad public transport will not meet my requirements for my commute... 2 hours on buses/trains to complete a 30 minute drive at around £10 a day in tickets. Added to that the fact that I need to be in for 7am. Pity really, if I could get there on the train I'd ditch the car I have and get something more fun/liable to break down.

Of course, I can work from home. But the powers that be at our place don't trust us to actually do that.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - Hamsafar
I work in the public sector so they wouldn't expect me to come into work if there is the slightest problem. :O I have stored 80 litres (in drums!) in the two recycling wheelie bins that don't really get anything dirty in them.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - zookeeper
I work in the public sector so they wouldn't expect me to come into work
if there is the slightest problem. :O I have stored 80 litres (in drums!) in
the two recycling wheelie bins that don't really get anything dirty in them.

dont over brim the bins or the council will fine you
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - Group B
Fuel shortages? What fuel shortages?

1) Commute as normal but try to drive economically, avoid unnecessary journeys. If I'm close to running out of fuel? Have a few days off work.. wahey!

2) In 2000 my car was off the road with gearbox trouble for the week of the fuel shortages, I got it back the day that supplies got back to normal, so missed all the fuss.
I had visions of my 3/4 tank of petrol could being pinched while it was in the garage, but it wasnt (maybe Ive watched Mad Max 2 too many times).

3) Could get 620 miles if driven quite carefully, slightly over two weeks normal use for me. I might get 650+ miles if I dropped my motorway speed to 60mph.

4) Dunno? Try and work from home a few days a week. Buy a car that will run on veg oil..

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 22/04/2008 at 17:23

Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - Nsar
Nothing Corporal Jones, the UK has 72 days of fuel in storage.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - MichaelR
This is of course utterly pointless as it wont be a problem but..

My car currently has about 65 litres of fuel in the tank. This, at 20mpg, will last me about 3-4 weeks anyway and I don't even NEED the car so could simply walk or use the bus anyway.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - nortones2
I shall sell my (2) spare bicycles at the highest the market will bear, but keep the best one for me! If I have to. Which is unlikely.

Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - nick
Nothing, carry on as normal.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - PhilW
"Nothing, carry on as normal. "

Snap
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - PhilW
But I might pump up my bike tyres!
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - Alby Back
I was speaking to a friend in Aberdeen on the 'phone this afternoon. He was telling me that he had to queue for half an hour for diesel this morning. No choice as he was running on fumes. Couldn't help thinking that it was sort of ironic that Aberdonians are queuing up to spend money. ;-)

On a serious note I expect it is actually going to get rather more irritating before it gets better. Let's hope it does get resolved quickly, we certainly don't need any more spanners in the economic works right now.

Edited by shoespy on 22/04/2008 at 21:19

Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - b308
1. I'm "essential" staff
2. See 1!
3. 550 miles
4. I'll carry on driving like I do at the moment

I already use car/train to commute, though certain early/late shifts would prevent that..... and I already drive to maximize mpg so would not be changing my driving syle....
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - nick
I think I'm 'essential' too :-)
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - PoloGirl
I don't live in Scotland or the north of England, and coincidentally I filled up today but...

I might make people come to me instead of driving all over the place, but apart from that, nothing special. I can work from home, but there would probably be some kind of arrangement made at work to car share, keep a certain amount of us in work, or something like that. I'm an essential too.. but whether that would count for anything...!

I was in Spain so I missed it all. Quite looking forward to seeing if it lives up to the hype! :-D

Anywhere between 500-600 miles depending on how much motorway driving I've done.

I am starting to look at getting out of my lease and getting a different car, because the payment I get per mile for business milage no longer covers the cost of doing the miles, and I'm no longer doing the large milage I used to, so don't necessarily need a diesel.

Definitely wouldn't go without a car though, if that's what you're hinting at.

Edited by PoloGirl on 22/04/2008 at 22:15

Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - FotheringtonThomas

Get my bike out.
Put red diesel in the other car, and run like that until I can get "proper" diesel, writing in to say I've done it, of course.

2) What happened last time in 2 000 and will experiences from that mean a
different approach?

Nothing happened - apart from having to be choosy about where to buy fuel.

350->700 miles, depending. Bike? 300 miles.

I don't understand the question.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - Xileno {P}
I can work from home or cycle, take the bus or not work at all. I favour the latter.

I had a VW that was economical. Just drove as usual.

Focus - 350. Megane - 700

Don't know.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - stunorthants26
Well we are filling our vehicles up tomorrow, then will see how it goes.
Since most of my customers are within a few miles of me, the fuel restrictions will have very little effect on my business unless they go on for more than a month.
The Subaru that takes my misses to work will have to carry on until it runs out, then will use the van, see how it goes.

Dont really think much will come of it at this point.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - Stuartli
The refinery in question produces 10 per cent of the country's fuel requirements and mainly serves Scotland and Northern England.

Panic buying, rather than just being sensible, would cause problems, including eventually for those in the south.
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - Mapmaker
>>Panic buying, rather than just being sensible, would cause problems...

.... for the Government. So panic buy!
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - defender
there are quite a few filling stations out of fuel /diesel here in north east scotland and I know hualiers ,farmers etc are not getting the full amount of bulk deliveries and the price wont be confirmed untill the day of delivery , best to keep a spare gallon if you can
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - grumpyscot
Asda stated yesterday that their Scottish garages are not supplied with fuel from Scotland. Tesco say they can arrange alternate supplies from England.

So I guess that means there's no need to panic - or to buy diesel at £1.40+ a litre as was the case yesterday in Fife.

Let's hope the profiteering garage loses all it's custom. Just deserts I'd say!
Your planning re possible fuel shortage next week - ijws15
BBC news being inflamatory this morning - they are one of the biggest culprits.

I am in Broxburn next Thursday, Will fill up on the way up when the car runs low and that tank will get me home and into France and after that I wont care for 14 days!